Coldplay - LP 6: Ghost Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that our perception of the presence (or absence) of pretension is highly subjective, it's rather difficult to decree absolutes in whether something is or isn't pretentious, I would think.

My comment is rather pretentious though..

The bottom line is you might think he's just a full of shit character but that character he puts on display is pretty dorky and humble.

Given that our perception of the presence (or absence) of pretension is highly subjective, it's rather difficult to decree absolutes in whether something is or isn't pretentious, I would think.

My comment is rather pretentious though..
I suppose so, but all that really does is call into question either your objectivity in talking about Coldplay or your understanding of the concept of pretension in the eyes of many in this conversation. I say "in the eyes of many," of course, to make note of the subjectivity of such a statement as well, but unless we're trying to turn this into a competition of who can type "IMO" in larger font, we can probably make do without the qualifiers from here on out.

I suppose so, but all that really does is call into question either your objectivity in talking about Coldplay or your understanding of the concept of pretension in the eyes of many in this conversation.

"Objectivity" about talking about Coldplay?? lol. I am of the opinion that the song sucks and puts me to sleep. There's no objectivity about that, period, it`s entirely my subjective opinion. As for the rest of their music, some is alright by me, but there's a limit to how long I can listen to them. I don`t need to be objective about it, nor does it matter whether anyone thinks I`m capable of such objectivity.

My understanding of the concept of pretension is fine. Your use of "absolutely" presumes that you know every single lyric of the song, which so far I'm not sure anyone can lay claim to. So let's hope there isn't a single pretentious lyric therein. :up:

Your posts aren't in a vacuum, though. Everyone here knows you love to rip Coldplay.

What? I may have mentioned them a couple of times in the context of being tired of having them constantly compared to U2 and vice versa, but certainly do not have an overwhelming track record of bagging on them at every opportunity. I certainly haven't ever started a conversation about them, I don't think. You sure you don't have me mixed up with someone else?

We should make this about gvox and his relationship and interaction with Coldplay topics on interference.

I for one think his behavior in this thread is critical for opening up a historical analysis of all posts of his on relations to Coldplay.

Will start background research now.

We should make this about gvox and his relationship and interaction with Coldplay topics on interference.

I for one think his behavior in this thread is critical for opening up a historical analysis of all posts of his on relations to Coldplay.

Could you please put together a pie chart and present to the group as well? :wink:

The level of vitriol directed at Chris Martin around Interference as a whole is laughably hyperbolic.
Indeed. some of the reactions in the new album thread are laughable. I'm sure lots of those posters would be fawning over the song had U2 released it.

There's nothing pretentious about Chris Martin. He's a hyperearnest dork, unabashedly so. You can rightfully criticize the dude for a ton of shit, and you can just flat out not like their music. That's fine. But calling him pretentious is so laughably off base.

This. The song is lame and completely derivative but pretentious? Ehh. Maybe they've been at times in the past but can't really see that here.

I'll say this: at least the video shows more creativity than Invisicock's.

Can't wait to see Shuttlecock vs. Cockplay 2014 across these boards for the next year. It's gonna get bloody.

Coldplay - LP 6

Indeed. some of the reactions in the new album thread are laughable. I'm sure lots of those posters would be fawning over the song had U2 released it.

Yep, and Shuttlecock haven't even released a song this good since 1997.

Nah, just an opinion. I'm really high on this track, and I've been wanting them to explore this kind of sonic territory for a while. It suits them well, and it's a style I love. It's the realization of the promise I heard in stuff like "The Escapist" and "A Spell, A Rebel Yell." If the entire LP is in this vein, I'm amped as fuck. Really hope it's not a "Violet Hill" red herring situation.

Should have quit while you were ahead.

How do you expect to be taken seriously with a hyperbolic comment like that?

Not about being taken seriously, homie. Just calling it like I see it. I looked at the tracklists for the last three Shuttlecock albums and not a single track jumped out over this for me. "Courts of Lebanon" is closest. For my taste.

See, while Coldplay only made X&Y once, Shuttlecock did it three times in a row.

I certainly am not accusing gvox of being a liar, but I think he may have a selective memory of his past discussions on Coldplay and Chris Martin if he thinks he's hardly ever talked about them in the past.

And I'm not oblivious to the fact that this post is your polite way of saying "You've got way too much time on your hands if you bring up any past quotes from gvox."

It's pleasant, it's okay, it has some nice sounds but overall it feels more like a little teaser into the album 'hey guys we've been doing a few things' rather than 'HEY GUYS CHECK THIS OUT.' It's listenable but I can't imagine that I'll listen to it until I have a go with the album in full.

I don't understand why people are jumping onto Martin as if he's acting as some sort of agent of pretentiousness, good for him that he's not closing himself into a box.

And for what it's worth, at least half of NLOTH is better than this song, but I'm curious about this album nonetheless.

Coldplay - LP 6

I certainly am not accusing gvox of being a liar, but I think he may have a selective memory of his past discussions on Coldplay and Chris Martin if he thinks he's hardly ever talked about them in the past.

And I'm not oblivious to the fact that this post is your polite way of saying "You've got way too much time on your hands if you bring up any past quotes from gvox."

Contrary to your thought, My message was targeted at nobody in particular. I quoted him and your post wasn't even up yet. We posted "at the same time."

I was just as much calling on gvox for bashing Coldplay as I was the calling on the funny nature of book keeping what people say.

Actually, I did a search, just for the hell of it. My memory is fine. There are 89 posts of mine where I uttered the phrase "Coldplay" over the last decade or so. The vast majority of them do not fall into the category of what you originally stated, that of "rip(ping) Coldplay".

At least half of them were in the context of an argument about Eric Clapton comparing U2 and Coldplay (woohoo that was a fun one, I was actually ripping on EC's utterly moronic statements on U2). The next 25-30% of them are me making sarcastic jokes about people who compare Coldplay to U2, and then a few more of them just vague references to earlier in-jokes.

More recently, I conceded that I don't really hate their music per se, but that I find Martin to be an insufferable twat.

Even more recently, I actually stopped just short of complimenting them on parlaying an Eno-esque riff into something massively successful, while U2 did not.

I didn't say I hardly ever talked about them. I participated in discussions where they were already being talked about. On rare occasion, I did state my opinion specifically on their music. But certainly I don't have a track record of bagging on Coldplay. That must be someone else.

How fucking deflating that yet again I can't go into a Coldplay thread and talk about how I like a Coldplay song without pathetic, circular arguing. Thanks all :up:

Violet Hill (i.e., first thing we hear from the album, but nothing else really sounds like it).

:up: Nothing on that album really sounded like anything else on that album. I think they did a great job of coming up with individual moods and tones over the 10 tracks while still having the overall thing feel very connected. It's my favorite album of theirs by far.

I remember listening to the radio just to hear Violet Hill played, it was a great song for me back when I was 13 (I had shitty internet, so downloading/watching would take ages) and it's still pretty good now.

Yeah, I love Violet Hill. I listened to the live radio premiere, too. I definitely posted about it here.

I remember the Viva La Vida threads in B&C were particularly active in '08.

"Midnight" didn't completely grab me on first listen, but I like that it's something new for them.

Their Viva La Vida tour was really good too. A top 10 concert for me.

I don't find this song particularly exciting one way or the other. Surprised it's stirred up so much passion on both sides of the fence already.

I just hope this album is better than Mylo, that's all. I loved the hell out of Viva La Vida, hated X&Y, and enjoy the first two albums OK, so I'm pretty half and half with Coldplay. What I like, I love, though, so of course I want to see them release some more great stuff.

Fun to listen to. Really enjoyed the first listen. Cracking follow up to Atlas, which I also found exceptional.

Things are looking especially rosy for me this year with albums coming out from Elbow, U2, Interpol, War On Drugs and presumably now, the mighty Coldplay.

If they tour again I do hope they take things down a notch. As much as I loved Mylo Xyloto the tour sacrificed the music for the spectacle. The Viva La Vida show I saw was a lot better.

I agree with the Bon Iver comparisons. It's a little like Clannad as well.

Without a theme to hang the song on the lyrics seem trite about storms and leaving a light on. Some of the sounds are okay in a Cut Copy style but I hope it's a signal that they will come up with more variety on this LP. I really only like the first 2 records.

I guess chillwave continues.

I enjoyed the show I saw on the Mylo tour (first time I'd seen them). However, I really wish I'd seen them on the Viva tour, because I fucking love that album.

My personal rankings of the albums:

1. Viva La Vida
2. A Rush of Blood to the Head (1 and 2 are really, really close)
3. Mylo Xyloto
4. Parachutes

5. X&Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom