Cockburn Street, Edinburgh, Scotland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now is pretty cool

I'm honestly surprised they didn't play this at the iPhone launch, with Bono holding up one of the new phones, iWatch on his wrist, bellowing out "THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN REACH ME NOOOOOW!!!"

Lovorko, you're probably going to kill me but after a few listens I reckon Iris is actually one of the better tracks on the album.

I'm on the last song now and really truly there were some really nice moments here and there, especially instrumentally - Edge is sounding pretty damn good and even Adam is doing some cool interesting stuff. Lyrically it's the same old contrived shit, and Bono really needs to quit the falsetto thing. It's...I don't know if I'm just less of a sycophantic fan now, but it's not grabbing me like NLOTH did. I don't hate it, though, that's for sure!

Who's doing the female vocals?

This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now is pretty cool

I genuinely like the last three songs. But then again I'M AN EX-FANBOY

Lovorko, you're probably going to kill me but after a few listens I reckon Iris is actually one of the better tracks on the album.

My brain hurts right now. As soon as I heard the song I though it was going to be eviscerated all over the place. But then again I'M A HATER

Yeah, there was no finality there!

Okay well that was...way less shit then I expected. Standouts on first listen are Cedarwood Road, This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, The Troubles, and maybe Volcano? Listening to Cedarwood Road again now and yeah, I really like this one.

I genuinely like the last three songs. But then again I'M AN EX-FANBOY

They keep failing to leave a strong impression on me, even though they are at the upper end of this album's quality spectrum. The Troubles, for instance, is crying out for a bigger, more dramatic climax. Cedarwood Road is the only song I've become truly passionate about yet.

My brain hurts right now. As soon as I heard the song I though it was going to be eviscerated all over the place. But then again I'M A HATER

See, to me it's one of the few songs where Bono is really passionate and goes beyond lame posturing. Of course, anything halfway decent is going to sound more interesting coming after two duds. California blows chunks and Song for Someone is so generic that when Bono starts to get genuinely passionate in Iris the interest is heightened.

Plus the music's good. What puts me off a lot of U2's shittier songs is that they blow musically (like SYCMIOYO being plodding, OOTS sounding like twinkly dogshit, Stuck being overproduced to the moon and back). Iris doesn't have that problem.

You convinced me that I should listen to it one more time. I'll try and survive through the first half and get to the interesting stuff in the second half without slashing my wrists. Wish me luck.

Whoever it is should just replace Bono.

Hahaha yes please.

Bono is so obviously the weak link of this album it's not funny. Dude, you can't sing any more, and when you do you usually just sing slogans.

He's rich, fat and almost sixty. No wonder he's got nothing else to sing about.

What's the soul count on this record?

It's funny, I really like the lyrics on paper, but when I hear Bono singing them, I want to punch him in the back of the head.

The WOAHOHOH intro to the chorus in California is officially one of their lowpoints.

"You've got a face not spoiled by beauty." It gets only worse from there.

Update on Iris: just like Every Breaking Wave, it starts off inoffensive enough, but the chorus is just excruciating. The whole "hold me close" bit sounds like the worst kind of radio pop kids listen to before they start getting pimples.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm on Cedarwood Road Ax. I like the song, but it still seems like somewhat of a missed opportunity. It starts off really well, but then it gets neutered. It's Bono's fault probably. All in all, I do like the song though. Nice melody at the end.

But yeah, the second half works for me. That and the single make for a nice EP, inoffensive fluff as it may be in the long-term. It reminds me a lot of No Line on the Horizon; it obviously has certain ambitions that are bogged down by some desperate attempts at making catchy, poppy dreck. I think it hurts this album even more since the placement of those kinds of tracks is right at the beginning and it goes on longer than it could ever be tolerated.

If this Songs of Experience thing ever actually happens, there might be a decent album useyourillusionised from the two. Two bonus tracks are also coming with the CD release, and I sure hope Lucifer's Hands is worthy of its title. :rockon:

Isn't that a rhetorical question anyway? Everybody hates his fucking guts nowadays.

Neil's been on fire on Twitter today.

His Twitter is the fucking best.

My mistake:

16 souls
12 yeahs
4 hearts
1 knee
22 Barbaras

Hahaha nice... but ONE knee? ONE?

I sure hope Lucifer's Hands is worthy of its title. :rockon:

Ten bucks it's some wussy acoustic drivel about how Bono nearly fell into Lucifer's Hands but didn't. God still has his soul. Lucifer doesn't have his soul. His soul. SOUL.

I have been at this event 25 minutes and I am four Guinnesses in. I might be asking an ex-President of Ireland her opinion on Boner after all.

We're counting on you.

Oh and...

I wish I shared your enthusiasm on Cedarwood Road Ax. I like the song, but it still seems like somewhat of a missed opportunity. It starts off really well, but then it gets neutered. It's Bono's fault probably. All in all, I do like the song though. Nice melody at the end.

Basically every song not named California starts off really well and then Bono comes in. At leaat in Cedarwood Road he wrestles with the mediocrity and by the end wins. He's really going for it at the end, heaps of passion. More of the album needs that fire, that sense of urgency.

Sleep Like a Baby Tonight is getting weaker with every listen. Good god what a shit title too. I am having a hard time not facepalming every time I see these awful fucking titles.

Ten bucks it's some wussy acoustic drivel about how Bono nearly fell into Lucifer's Hands but didn't. God still has his soul. Lucifer doesn't have his soul. His soul. SOUL.

Ha! Unfortunately, you're on to something here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom