Clapton can't tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:
Didn't Bono slag off "nu-metal" a few years back?

I stood up and applauded that, I must say.

Yeah, he made a comment about how it nearly killed music and he'd rather take cyanide pills, or something along those lines.

So this myth that U2 are a bunch of nice guys with not one bad word to say about any other musician or genre is just that, a myth. Complete bollocks.

Edge said that Nirvana was the only good band in their entire genre, and that everyone else was "insufferably boring."

Larry likes Westlife, which is an insult to music itself.

Screwtape2 said:
To be fair to Clapton, he was on the cutting edge of music with Cream and Blind Faith. When you are part of anything as exciting as that time you are going to look at this bland period of music as going away from the "roots." I'm not saying he is right but from his viewpoint I can understand why he would say these things.

Yeah, but come on...he's talking about U2 here, a beacon of light in the last 25 years of relative musical mediocrity.

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, but come on...he's talking about U2 here, a beacon of light in the last 25 years of relative musical mediocrity.

It's been 10 years since U2 has been a "beacon of light." When talking about today's mediocre U2, I can see Clapton lumping them in as part of the current subpar musical landscape. :shrug:

Screwtape2 said:

It's been 10 years since U2 has been a "beacon of light." When talking about today's mediocre U2, I can see Clapton lumping them in as part of the current subpar musical landscape. :shrug:

His logic is flawed then.

U2 created those clones. All of the 80's must be one big blur to him, because U2's new sound is just a shinier version of the old one. Besides, he's probably just basing his statements on the singles; if he actually listened to the records, he'd notice that U2 still sounds pretty singular.

corianderstem said:
Didn't Bono slag off "nu-metal" a few years back?

I stood up and applauded that, I must say.
I recall him saying "those rap-metal people should just take suicide pills and go away", and as Linkin Park were my first love (before I divorced them for U2) that made me a little sad :lol:

Of course, now they've got a new album out that sounds like Linkin Park crossed with The Backstreet Boys crossed with U2 and I like it better, so that's a start... I think :shifty:

The_acrobat said:
So can anybody remember a time when U2 slammed another artist? I really can't.

They were quite critical in the early 90's, I remember Bono going off on a rant about Primal Scream...

Screwtape2 said:

Wallpaper music

White folk rock.

Generally suggesting that artists have to take your best rock band crown and later suggesting no one had while throwing around names would probably qualify as a slam against another artist.

Care to provide quotes ? I don't remember "wallpaper music" or "white folk rock" things being said.
And yes, I do know they slagged metal and nu-metal music (can't say I blame them), but there's a difference in saying things about music in general and blasting specific names (they may have disliked grunge, but they still took Pearl Jam on the road. and there are eons of hype on Cobain, from Bono). And certainly the amount of venom in anti-U2 is not comparable to U2-anti-others comments.

As for general suggestions, that wasn't a slam, more like a challenge to younger bands and artists. But that's right, ego in a big rock band sucks.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They were quite critical in the early 90's, I remember Bono going off on a rant about Primal Scream...

Indeed. That Tokyo interview in 1993 comes to mind, where he's saying how awful the state white music was in at the time. He was right.

GibsonGirl said:
Shall I predict the winning lottery numbers? :hmm:

papa needs a new pair of shoes...

I have an interview done by Much Music in 93 or 94 (I think) in Tokyo of Bono and Edge at the end of Zoo TV.

Bono basically says that “white music right now has never been so boring” and that it was “karaoke" music and that people do not like today's music because it is great but because it reminds them of music that was great or something along those lines...

He also said that they have no problems with a simple drum, guitar and base (and that they might do that again at some time :wink: ) but that it was basically "your parents music"...

Last edited:
Look, guys, music is subjective. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Take Creed and Nickleback ... I can barely tell the two apart. Same thing for a lot of rappers talking about driving their Bentleys, drinking Cristal and banging some ho.

To some people there are distinct differences between Creed and Nickleback. Same thing for various rappers. I don't hear it, but I am sure there are differences.

Now, if you don’t mind, I would like to say a few things about people who critique U2.

Here's what bugs me ... if someone, whether it's a person on this board, someone in the music industry ... anyone really, slags off on U2, some people on this board take EXTREME offense to it -- they take it almost like a personal attack.

Guess what people? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Some people don't think U2 has maintained their quality over the years.

And that is a valid opinion.

Likewise, some people think POP was a piece of shit.

And you know what. That's ok too.

As fans of a U2, we should be able to criticize U2 from time to time.

In fact, because we know so much about them, we're in a unique position to critique them because we know their music inside and out.

So if someone here feels that the last two albums don't live up to earlier albums, that is a perfectly valid point of view and doesn't make someone less of a fan than someone who blindly celebrates their entire catalogue and thinks everything they touch turns to gold.

Also, people in the music industry know their shit. So if someone, be it a critic from some music magazine, your local music critic, or someone else in the industry says something negative about U2, it’s not the end of the world.

Do you agree with every movie review you read? Every restaurant review?

Reviews are one person’s opinion. Music fans will ultimately make up their own minds about an artist’s work. So relax … most people don’t take these critiques as seriously as many here seem to.

To those who asked what has Eric Clapton done lately?

A hell of a lot more than U2.

The Road to Escondido – released 2006
Back Home – released 2005
Sessions For Robert J. – released 2004
Me and Mr. Johnson – released 2004
One More Rider One More Car – released 2002
Reptile – released 2001
Riding With The King – released 2000

He just finished a world tour in April 2007 which included stops throughout the US, Europe, Japan, Australia, and the far east.

JessicaAnn said:

Now, if you don’t mind, I would like to say a few things about people who critique U2.

Here's what bugs me ... if someone, whether it's a person on this board, someone in the music industry ... anyone really, slags off on U2, some people on this board take EXTREME offense to it -- they take it almost like a personal attack.

In fact, because we know so much about them, we're in a unique position to critique them because we know their music inside and out.

So if someone here feels that the last two albums don't live up to earlier albums, that is a perfectly valid point of view and doesn't make someone less of a fan than someone who blindly celebrates their entire catalogue and thinks everything they touch turns to gold.

how often do you post here? I love how people on this board are always talking about the blind sheep, but as far as I can tell there are no blind sheep here. there are more people who seem to hate everything U2 has ever done :huh:

but yes we can critique U2...this board does it quite often :wink:

but also yeah i don't give a fuck when random people critique U2. I thought Clapton's whole argument was flawed though. He clearly doesn't know much modern music :shrug:

phillyfan26 said:

Imagine the start of the next tour:

"People of Boston! You've made a terrible mistake! Eric Clapton says you shouldn't be here! It's all just award shows and American Idol! Well, this one's for you Eric! [middle finger]"

:lmao: :lol: :lmao:

Love that, classic!!

:hi5:

AtomicBono said:

how often do you post here? I love how people on this board are always talking about the blind sheep, but as far as I can tell there are no blind sheep here. there are more people who seem to hate everything U2 has ever done :huh:

but yes we can critique U2...this board does it quite often :wink:

but also yeah i don't give a fuck when random people critique U2. I thought Clapton's whole argument was flawed though. He clearly doesn't know much modern music :shrug:

As you can see I have been here a few years more than you. And I check in on the blue crack every day.

I never said I hated U2. Nor did I give my opinion on Clapton's assessment of modern music -- which, if you must know, I don't necessarily agree with. David Gray, is enjoyable, but I don't think he is the best thing to hit modern music.

I also never said everyone here was a a sheep. But I have seen people get quite flustered and angry whenever anyone says anything negative about U2.

JessicaAnn said:

Exactly. :up:

Yah yah, but imo you're deflecting off the target...whether or not it has become routine for a small number of people to viciously attack individuals who mouth off about U2 isn't really relevant to the fact that in this case, Clapton is talking shit.

Said withuot the least bit of animosity, as someone who grew up on his music, which, honestly is HEAVILY derivative to the point of almost completely ripping off original blues, he's still talking utter shit...maybe he's just bitter all those albums of his he releases don't really do so hot...I mean, that is the definition of pop music, music that the majority like and becomes popular...so why slag off about popular music if you yourself aren't even remotely making popular music or likely, in his case, even care about making popular music? Stick with the blues man, and singin them at that ;)

:shrug:

There are a whole lot of folks who cannot evolve beyond blues based rock.

That speaks nothing to his opinion of U2 or even Coldplay but how he describes the current state of music.

He's detatched from progressive music in any respect.
He's still passionate (musically) about the same things he was 4 decades ago.

Some call it consistency.
Some call it fucking boring.
I think he's a brilliant fucking legend who is so detached from the pulse of rock and roll pushing forward that I wouldn't pay 25 cents to hear his or another creatively stymied old farts opinion on Arcade Fire or Nickelback.

Think about it, apologists.
He's lumping in U2, even Colplay with the likes of the Simon Cowell brand.

There have always been machinations of pop competing against rock and roll, the biggest difference between 1967 and 2007, for someone like Clapton (any make no mistake, many others) is they can't relate to it.

That said, I basically agree that U2 have become an awards-show band. I mean, Bono will tell you it's what they want. They want to be relevant or whatever, this is how they think they earn it.

Last edited:
I've often wondered about the whole "blues based rock" v.s progressive thing too! It seems like there are so many people out there who feel that if rock isn't "blues based" its no good! I like blues based rock and I also like progressive.

I also think that Clapton is a lousy blues guitarist. He's not a lousy guitarist just lousy at playing the blues. My father is a huge blues enthusiast and I've heard alot of great original blues music and Clapton's playing just lacks that deep, dark, earthy sound that you hear in Robert Johnson or Muddy. Its like he's all technique and no "feel".

anyway, if he can't tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay then he's going deaf. They sound similar but not completely alike.

JessicaAnn said:
Look, guys, music is subjective. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Take Creed and Nickleback ... I can barely tell the two apart. Same thing for a lot of rappers talking about driving their Bentleys, drinking Cristal and banging some ho.

To some people there are distinct differences between Creed and Nickleback. Same thing for various rappers. I don't hear it, but I am sure there are differences.

Also, people in the music industry know their shit. So if someone, be it a critic from some music magazine, your local music critic, or someone else in the industry says something negative about U2, it’s not the end of the world.

Do you agree with every movie review you read? Every restaurant review?

Reviews are one person’s opinion. Music fans will ultimately make up their own minds about an artist’s work. So relax … most people don’t take these critiques as seriously as many here seem to.

To those who asked what has Eric Clapton done lately?

A hell of a lot more than U2.

The Road to Escondido – released 2006
Back Home – released 2005
Sessions For Robert J. – released 2004
Me and Mr. Johnson – released 2004
One More Rider One More Car – released 2002
Reptile – released 2001
Riding With The King – released 2000

He just finished a world tour in April 2007 which included stops throughout the US, Europe, Japan, Australia, and the far east.

This is one of the greatest posts I have ever read in EYKIW!

JessicaAnn said:

So let me just understand this. If someone doesn't think that the last two albums don't live up to earlier albums, that is a perfectly valid point of view and that person is not less of a fan.

So far so good.

But if someone happens to like the last two albums and enjoys the entire catalogue, they are blindly celebrating U2?

:huh:

1)
AtomicBono said:
I love how people on this board are always talking about the blind sheep, but as far as I can tell there are no blind sheep here. there are more people who seem to hate everything U2 has ever done :huh:
Truth: My anti-drug

2)
ramblin rose said:
So let me just understand this. If someone doesn't think that the last two albums don't live up to earlier albums, that is a perfectly valid point of view and that person is not less of a fan.
So far so good.
But if someone happens to like the last two albums and enjoys the entire catalogue, they are blindly celebrating U2?
:huh:
Welcome to Interference.

On TopiX: His name reminds me of Eric Cartman. BEEFCAAAKE!

AtomicBono said:
there are more people who seem to hate everything U2 has ever done :huh:

Don't you mean people who hate the last 2 albums? I've hardly ever seen (if not never) people that hate everything they've done. The complaints seem to mostly be only about ATYCLB & HTDAAB.

Zootlesque said:

Don't you mean people who hate the last 2 albums? I've hardly ever seen (if not never) people that hate everything they've done. The complaints seem to mostly be only about ATYCLB & HTDAAB.

U2 is a huge band with tons of fans who will all have varying opinions. When U2 does something new, the majority of the fans will like it, but there will always been some fans who have a different opinion and not enjoy it as much. So everything U2 does will always have at least some criticism, and that's not really a bad thing, different opinions are good. But some people here, who are sensitive to criticism, sees that and then thinks OMG everybody here hates everything U2 has ever done!!! Interfence people don't like U2 at all!!!

But in reality, I think most everyone on this site likes the majority of what U2 has done.

U2 has never been above criticism, period. I havent liked everything they have done. I dont agree with or like everything Bono says or does. But I do like a majority of their work and every single tour in some form. I dont think that makes me a blind sheep.

I think what some people are brushing over is that there are people on here whose posts are almost always negative about the band and rarely, if ever, have anything good to say about them (I'm not referring to anyone in this thread really). The problem with these people is that they are the squeeky wheel syndrome. A small minority but they are always vocal and post the same crap all over the place. Its not about not liking the last two albums either. Its about starting crap. I could name a few names but I wont as thats against the rules. :wink: Thing is, some of them I think were U2 fans at some point but are disenchanted with them now and want to make everyone else think or feel the same. Why stick around? If I lose interest in something I move on. This is suppose to be fun. If you want to have a good discussion about differences of opinions on their work, thats great. But constant negativity about them and trying to stir up shit is not a good thing ever. Its not creative, its not smart, its not clever. Its just pathetic.

Regarding the thread topic. Who cares what Clapton thinks. Does it make you not like U2? I dont really care for Clapton to be honest. But he is obviously a legend and a great guitar player. His taste is obviously alot different than mine. So what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom