Cat Power - Sun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After attempting to read his Passion Pit review, I think I will not think about this person anymore.

I don't even like Passion Pit, but after reading that Passion Pit review I think I might put myself on suicide watch.

I've never seen someone dance for about a thousand lines around the basic, impolite fact that they don't like what they're hearing, and that they suspect its author is not long for this world.

I've been reading about the ancient Egyptians lately. Somewhere in the next twenty paragraphs I'm going to find a way to tie that in to my day job, reviewing the new passion pit album.

I don't even like Passion Pit, but after reading that Passion Pit review I think I might put myself on suicide watch.

I've never seen someone dance for about a thousand lines around the basic, impolite fact that they don't like what they're hearing, and that they suspect its author is not long for this world.

At least he gives the reader a great reason to close the window from the very first sentence:

For the first time since university, for reasons ultimately unrelated to this review, I’ve spent time reading Michel Foucault.

Doing my bit to promote (though I'm sure no one reads our paper). Pretty poorly written. Somewhat the subs' fault, and somewhat mine, because I can't seem to write about music all that well.

33260BCB-CB44-40B8-817D-16BC6310F520-7599-0000049E65922753.jpg

Looks fine to me.

I was looking for that nerd smilie, but apparently it no longer exists.

Stylistically unconventional, I'll admit, but there's nothing grammatically wrong with it.

I think I'm finally going to have time to get around to this today. I haven't listened to a new album in like a month.

I've been following her on Twitter/Instagram for a while and she definitely comes off unstable, and has posted a lot of pics from hospitals and what I thought were rehab places.

Also, that mohawk needs to go.

I follow her on Twitter as well although I've started to ignore her tweets, because it's mostly just all caps pics of nothing.

Truth about the mohawk though. Love these pics, she definitely has a Rashida Jones vibe going on that I dig.

340.jpg

catpower460.jpg

Just finally saw Ms. Marshall for the first time. Really great show, although extremely heavy on new material. Best part? They kept the hawk scream in "Cherokee."

Well I just returned from Cat Power's Melbourne show. Great show, with a few buts.

They took to the stage about 10-15 minutes late (but played Pavement's Here, "Heroes" and Shelter from the Storm over the PA). Well the band did, just sort of casually jamming for a few minutes until Chan joined them on stage, wearing this crappy black t-shirt that and sporting short peroxide white hair. After the opening song they played what I guess was The Greatest, which I obviously need to obtain immediately, it was frigging awesome. Cherokee ruled. At one point she started singing in Spanish or Italian or something. Nothin But Time was great, as was Ruin. The highlight for me was the song they played after Nothin But Time, I guess it was the first or second song after the encore started... another guitarist joined the band on stage, and it was this awesome, cathartic guitar track. She sang "we all have wings but some of us don't know why", but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a cover of Never Tear Us Apart, because I didn't recognise any other lyrics. Setlist FM is not being helpful at all, if anyone can help me out on that I'd be very grateful.

But man oh man she really is pretty unstable. Her voice sounds amazing but I felt on edge the entire show because she's so... visibly affected by whatever it is that's affecting her. She coughs and sniffs and makes weird movements the entire show. She lit two cigarettes but didn't smoke either of them, just held them until the song finished then gave them to the crowd. She talked to herself at several points, and introduced Peace and Love by saying "this song... was co-written by... well... was inspired by... fuck whatever..." It all looks like it could fall apart at any time. The band kept playing after Nothin But Time for a good 10 or so minutes while Chan was off the stage, and the crowd got pretty restless. She flubbed lyrics at times. You can't help but think she wouldn't re-emerge. It was quite disconcerting to watch at times.

But then as Ruin drew to a close she picked up a bouquet of flowers and went up to each band member, pretending to pass them off to each one, with a huge smile on her face, laughing. Then she walked along the stage, throwing each one into the crowd, at one point toying with a girl who was on someone's shoulders near me. It was hilarious to watch. Then once Ruin finished New God Flow (censored) came blaring over the speakers as she stood there for a minute or two, beaming, waving to the crowd. She walked off, then on again, then kept waving from near the sound decks before finally heading off stage.

She also didn't really do the "fuck meeeee" bit in 3,6,9, which was a bit disappointing.

Certainly one of the more unique shows I've ever seen. I'd love to hear what other people have thought, and if anyone can tell me the name of that song I'd love to know.

Sounds beat for beat how the show I saw in January went, right down to "Shelter From the Storm" and "New God Flow." The version of "The Greatest" they're playing is filthy good, although not at all indicative of the album version (which is still wonderful). And she was probably doing "Angelitos Negros" when you thought she was singing in Spanish/Italian.

How very Cobbler to just lump Romance languages all together.

I used to do Italian. But I couldn't roll my R's so it never sounded good.

The dude on guitar and keys was awesome. He was on some Any Colour You Like shit when Chan was off stage.

Well the setlist appeared online.

Sea of Love (Phil Phillips cover)
The Greatest
Cherokee
Silent Machine
Manhattan
Human Being
King Rides By
Angelitos Negros (Pedro Infante cover)
Always On My Own
3, 6, 9
Nothin But Time
I Don't Blame You
Metal Heart (with Mick Turner)
Shivers (Rowland S. Howard cover) (with Mick Turner)
Do Ya (The Move cover)
Peace and Love
Ruin

The song I was referring to above was Shivers. It was awesome.

Rowland S Howard - Shivers - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom