Canada Votes 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AliEnvy said:

So does healthcare. Now that the baby boomers are turning 60, most people have absolutely no idea of the tsunami about to hit our healthcare system over the next 20 years...or what to do about it.

Boomers will be the richest generation ever and as retirees will outnumber working, taxpaying Canadians.

I just hope whoever has to deal with it has as big cahones as Harris.

A two tier system is the only way to deal with a looming catastrophe such as this one. A private system will be right there in the clutch to catch the excess. A public system will suck up too much money and deliver too little. I am not against a public system, but I feel we should have access to private healthcare should we desire. Waiting at least 3 weeks for an MRI is ridiculous when dealing with a life threatening illness.

AliEnvy said:
The bloggers are having a field day too...

Stephen Harper has a dog.

You know who else had a dog?

Hitler.

Adolf Hitler.

That's who.

Did Stephen Harper train his dog to attack racial minorities on command?

We don't know.

He's not saying.

Choose Your Canada.

The leader of the Conservative Party of Canada is named "Stephen".

As in "St. Stephen".

The name of a saint.

A Christian saint.

Christian like Adolf Hitler.

Does Stephen Harper have a hidden agenda to turn Canada into a Christian theocracy?

We don't know.

He isn't saying.

Choose your Canada.

Stephen Harper ate at a Tex-Mex place once.

You know what the "Tex" in Tex-Mex stands for?

Texas.

George W. Bush's home state.

And you know who else would have liked Tex-Mex food if he were alive today?

Adolf Hitler.

We're not making this up.

Choose your Canada.
Damien Penny :up:

I start to believe the Conservatives will really get the majority vote for Canada... and unfortunatly. I often hear about people (even in my own family !) who change their votes for them, even if they'd normaly vote for Bloc, which has nothing to do with the Liberals. It's just sad... Even though they don't agree with anything that Harper says, they vote for him because they're angry at the Liberals. Makes me think about some communist and dicatorships ahah. I know it will never become like that, but it will give more freedom to the new elected governement. I'm so sad I can't do anything...

unfortunately, the liberals had to go for the jugular with those ridiculous demonize stephen harper attack ads, and i think they had the exact opposite of the desired effect.

:down:

2 criteria to receive my vote.

1) Party whose ideals and platform do the best to balance beneficial social programs with the economic well-being of the country.

2) Party that would (or would have) remained OUT of the War in Vietna...I mean...Iraq and OUT of the U.S. missile defense program.

1a) Thanks to the Liberals, Canada is the only G8 country running a surplus and I'm hesitant to give it to Conservatives to squander waging wars to fund military-industrial companies, fighting imaginary crime and running a deficit a la GW.

Harper's "get tough on crime" stance is absurd, as are most election promises. He wants to....

a) increase mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes.

Why? Probably to target one of the fastest growing segments of the Canadian population...the elderly. The elderly tend to be both the most conservative and fearful of crime. Canada is, like most developed nations, ageing very quickly with the flood of baby boomers reaching retirement age. As a result, there is a growing perception among Canadians that crime rates are increasing and that there is a reason to be fearful. There are many reasons for that which we won't discuss now.

Good politics. But a good policy? First, CRIME RATES IN CANADA HAVE BEEN DECREASING IN ALMOST EVERY CATEGORY FOR YEARS. There is no crime problem here, so no need for fear? Second, there is a virtual consensus in criminology that harsher sentences actually result in more crime. There are numerous explanations for this. One is Labeling Theory, which demonstrates that incarcerated criminals internalize their stigma and develop a new master status. Essentially, they become more like the person that society labels them: a criminal. This persona results in more crime when the individual is released back into society. They may seek out other stigmatized individuals as friends and form a criminal subculture, further exacerbating crime. Another explanation is a derivative of Social Learning theory. In almost every study that includes it as a variable, 'deviant peers' are a significant causal correlate of deviant behaviour in individuals. If you have criminal friends, you're more likely to be(come) a criminal. When you put people in prison they are obviously surrounded by other criminals and criminal behaviour becomes perceived as more 'normal'. The experience of prison can be violent and is often demonstrated to rationalize violence. When prisoners serve their term, they are released with more violent and criminal tendencies than they entered with.

The idea of increasing sentences as a deterent (known as deterrence theory) is an extreme rationalization of crime, a phenomenon which is often spontaneous, irrational and with deeply rootes social causes. DETERRENCE DOESN'T WORK and I really don't think we understand how much it will cost in the long run. Billions!

b) try 14 year-olds as adults. Same as above. No rehabilitation programs listed or costed. More crime will inevitably result.

Bluntly put, the conservatives are playing on public ignorance in order to get elected, like every other party. What's worse is that they are planning on incorporating that ignorance into the criminal justice system regardless of the cost to Canadians, present and future. His policy will only create more crime than and it'll still cost more. If that's what you like, vote for Harper.

2) Harper would have entered the war in Iraq. 'nough said.

Last edited:
yeah, i saw that earlier too.

ipsos reid which typically sucks the conservatives balls, has the cons with a 14 point lead though.

we'll see what happens...at this point i'll be relieved if harper only gets a minority.

i still can't get over how quickly canadians dismissed his remarks from the past. this guy shouldn't be in canada, nevermind the fact that he's poised to become our prime minister.

and his shit-eating smile has got to stop or my headache will get even worse.

If this isnt one reason to vote conservative I dont know what is!!!

From Rick Mercer's blog!

Stockwell Day – Minister of Foreign Affairs

Stockwell Day is perhaps the most experienced and most talented member on the Conservative front bench.

Stockwell is currently Foreign Affairs critic for the Conservative Party and he has done a bang-up job. When he was questioned as to why his party did not offer condolences to the Palestinians when Yasser Arafat died Stock responded by sending out a column by David Frum that speculated that Yasser died of AIDS.

With Stock representing Canada on the world stage can Peace in the Middle East be far away?

Jason Kenney – Minister of Health

Jason Kenney is an embarrassment of riches for the conservative party. He is one of Stephen Harper’s most trusted lieutenants and is experienced, well-liked and hirsute.

He is perfectly suited to a mélange of cabinet positions, and while he has a grasp on all the issues health seems to be his forte.

“I do support the idea of private health care.”

- Jason Kenney, Conservative Party critic on Canada-U.S. Relations, October 31st 2000.

Rob Anders – Minister of State (Multiculturalism)

Rob Anders is the guy to reach out to Canada’s diverse multicultural communities.

“Nelson Mandela is a terrorist.”
- Rob Anders

“Rob is a true reformer and a true conservative. He has been a faithful supporter of mine and I am grateful for his work.”

- Stephen Harper endorsing Calgary West Conservative MP Rob Anders

Vic Toews – Minister of Justice

Vic is the current Justice Critic and he takes the bull by the horns. He believes the notwithstanding clause should be used to override minority rights. He calls it the “ultimate tool” and so it is. The notwithstanding clause can be used to take away the rights of gay people to marry each other or the rights of the Chinese to drive. If you’re white and straight the chance of this being used against you are slim to none. This is for uppity minorities only. In case of emergency uppity-ness please break glass.

Minister of Citizenship and Immigration – Art Hanger

“Immigrants are choking welfare systems, contributing to high unemployment, and many cannot read.”

- Conservative MP Art Hanger

Myron Thompson – Minister of State (Youth Justice)

“Let's lower the age to ten.”

- Conservative MP Myron Thompson, commenting on the age at which he believes one should be tried as an adult, at a Vernon, BC meeting.

David Sweet – Minister responsible for the Status of Women

“There's a particular reason why Jesus called men only. It's not that women aren't co-participators. It's because Jesus knew women would naturally follow. Men, on the other hand, had to be called.”

- Conservative Candidate David Sweet former President & CEO of Promise Keepers Canada

Brian Fitzpatrick –Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development

“You can’t scalp me because I haven’t got much hair on top of my head.”

-Conservative Candidate Brian Fitzpatrick

Darrel Reid – Minister responsible for the Canadian Wheat Board

“I think every Christian's under an obligation to change laws to reflect biblical values. Different Christians are going to try to change different laws, according to the call God gives them. You see Christians in all political parties. That reflects different understandings of what God's call is to us. That's a healthy thing. If the yeast congregates in one part of the loaf, it makes for pretty bad bread."

-Conservative Candidate Darrel Reid former president of Focus on The Family Canada

Cheryl Gallant – Women’s Caucus Chair

“We saw that young American having his head cut off. What's happening, what is happening down there no different.”

- Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant (Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke) at a 2004 pro-life rally on Parliament Hill, comparing abortion to the beheading of American Nicolas Berg by insurgents in Iraq

Are those quotes on Rick Mercer`s site all true??

As for polls, y'all should read the interview with the guy from the Strategic Counsel taken from today`s Globe and Mail. That guy (Greg something or other) is so obviously biaised in favour of the Tories. He worked for them in the late 70`s and early 80s.

If you even create the illusion of momentum for the Tories, then you`re going to have that "bandwagon effect". I certainly don`t trust a pollster who worked for one of the parties.

woah...

according to the latest SES poll out today, the conservatives are now up only 3 per cent and dropping fast.

that's a stark contrast the 18 point lead a certain poll conveyed yesterday.

Zoomerang96 said:
woah...

according to the latest SES poll out today, the conservatives are now up only 3 per cent and dropping fast.

that's a stark contrast the 18 point lead a certain poll conveyed yesterday.

Didn't something similar happen in the last election cycle? The conservatives start getting a lead where they might actually win an election, and then the majority leftists in Canada start reevaluating and eventually vote Liberal anyway?

I just really hope that if the Conservatives are to win and Harper becomes PM that he's only given a minority government. That will temper his party's zeal for bigotry, and he'll be forced to deal solely with economic issues.

Melon

melon said:

I just really hope that if the Conservatives are to win and Harper becomes PM that he's only given a minority government. That will temper his party's zeal for bigotry, and he'll be forced to deal solely with economic issues.

Yes, he'll have to, because any suggestion of a social agenda will result in a roll call to bring down the government.

Which makes me wonder why they're still banging on about this same sex marriage referendum as if it's a winning idea. :|

anitram said:
Which makes me wonder why they're still banging on about this same sex marriage referendum as if it's a winning idea. :|

This is because a good number of contributors and even some MPs/candidates within the Conservative Party are from the fanatical Christian Right. If Harper dropped the issue, they'd kick a stink and probably try to bring down the party with them. This is what happens when you ally yourself with the devil to further your goals; the devil expects favors in return.

I think the only reason the party has fared so much better in the polls this time around is because Harper has generally skirted around social conservatism in his campaigning and mainly focused on an economic platform. Now whether it's a good economic platform should be up for debate. But it would be nice for a change to have an election that doesn't involve any degree of bigotry or fanaticism (even here in the U.S., it's a nice fantasy).

Melon

Last edited:
Well that seems like a reasonable answer except Harper really represents the constituency of the old Alliance party which merged with the Tories. And solid, old Conservatives don't support this agenda either. I know a few of them at my workplace - they are essentially interested in things like fiscal responsibility and do not support Harper's views. And unlike in the US where the fundamentalists mobilize the votes like mad, our fundamentalist population is small and not nearly as effective.

So while he may be preaching to the choir, it's only a small segment of his voters, and in provinces where he'd have won regardless.

In the end, it's probably empty talk, because I don't see him winning a majority and as a minority PM, if he brings this up, he'll get his ass booted post haste.

I'd definitely agree with you guys on that one. The 'alliance' element is far too strong within the new 'conservatives'. The Canadian Alliance was really a regional party and didn't represent the national ideals. The old PC party was far better suited for Canada as a whole. I believe most of Harper's cabinet is composed of former alliance members too.

As far as i'm concerned, the conservatives biggest weakness preventing them from cementing a win in this election, is Harper's strong personal views. Given the Liberal's poor performance littered with scandals, the Conservatives should have had this one in the bag.

Lets face it the Libs have run the worst campaign in a long long time. I actually wouldnt mind a Harper Minority, only because the libs need a new focus and to come up with strong ideas for the future.

To the person who asked if those are real qoutes, they are!

And seriously is Mercer gay? And no it doesnt matter to me! i am 100% behind gay rights! But a guy at work and me got into a arguement and I didnt think he was gay, but he said (hes a newfie) that everone in NFLD knows he;s gay. So is HE!

I'm from Newfoundland, and Rick Mercer's sexual orientation has never come up in conversation.:shrug:

I find it revealing that Harpur has been trying to reassure us that the courts, the Senate (yeah, right the Senate is a joke anyway) and other parts of the legislative will keep him in check. Why do they need to keep in check, what kind of crap is planning on doing that he needs to be kept in check? Scary position to take with a week to go in the election.

If Conservatives win, I won't cry about it but take a wait and see position. Hopefully, I won't be having to tell people I told you so as he implements regressive policies tarnishing our country.

i agree, it does seem just a tad pompous that harper's already talking like he's won the election. ah well, it's about time he started shooting himself in the foot again.

i see martin has now started with trying to scare us by telling us that a vote for the ndp is a vote for the conservatives. if he'd just stop with the pot shots and fear mongering, he'd fare a lot better.

:slant:

The fear mongering has even progressed to the e-mails. :| Look at what I received in my inbox today:

liberal.gif

One of the worst political campaigns I've seen. If I could actually vote (I'm not yet a Canadian citizen) I'd probably vote Liberal or NDP regardless. But still, I really think this has hurt the party's chances in a major way.

GibsonGirl said:
The fear mongering has even progressed to the e-mails. :| Look at what I received in my inbox today:

liberal.gif

One of the worst political campaigns I've seen. If I could actually vote (I'm not yet a Canadian citizen) I'd probably vote Liberal or NDP regardless. But still, I really think this has hurt the party's chances in a major way.

That email has a disturbingly American-style flavour. I actually had to size it up and look for spelling errors to convince myself that it’s real—which it appears to be.

Interesting how both the Conservatives and Liberals are suggesting that we should vote for them because of the failings of the other. That’s my kind of Canada! This is not exactly going to bring people out to the polls, especially young people. The last election had a record-low turnout…I think we’re about to sink even lower.

To quote a great band, “desperation is a tender trap.” It will get all parties in the end, because no matter who wins the election, the means in which it will be achieved is a breeding ground for apathy.

Canada is one of the greatest countries in the world (lame comment of the day, but I believe it to be true). It’s time for Ottawa to reflect that reality, not undermine it.

bonoman said:
And seriously is Mercer gay? And no it doesnt matter to me! i am 100% behind gay rights! But a guy at work and me got into a arguement and I didnt think he was gay, but he said (hes a newfie) that everone in NFLD knows he;s gay. So is HE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Mercer

During his press tour to promote the series [presumably RMMR], Mercer was outed as gay in the Globe and Mail newspaper. This was not by Mercer's own choice. In subsequent interviews, he has accepted that his sexuality is now on the public record, but he continues to insist on his right to keep his personal life as private as possible.

I've met him a handful of times, since my Canadian b/f used to work for his show. Nice guy. I didn't recognize him at first when I saw him without his suit...lol.

Melon

melon said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Mercer

I've met him a handful of times, since my Canadian b/f used to work for his show. Nice guy. I didn't recognize him at first when I saw him without his suit...lol.

Melon

He's one of the funniest people in the world. I really don't care about anybody's sexual orientation...he's right up there in my wishlist of people to have lunch with. :up:

Back
Top Bottom