Cameras: Just an Opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...can we add to this the issue with people getting wasted (either booze or drugs) for a show? Um, why spend so freaking much $$$ to treat it like a night out at a bar? Plus, it's so damn annoying when someone a few feet away is lit and belligerent. A friend of my sister ended up in the "medical corner" or wherever during a Vertigo show because her husband got trashed. Personally, I would've left the idiot to stew on that alone and gone to enjoy the show by myself!

I agree with you on this, too. Some people, seriously :huh: I was at a concert once where 3 guys got in a fight, three rows behind me. It was bad enough already that it was initiated by the booze, but also because everybody was just watching it and I was the only one screaming for security? What's up with people these days? Seems like spectacular views of other things than the concert itself, along with too many alcohol/drugs (to show themselves off?) is more important than experiencing a music event? Not saying that there's anything wrong with alcohol, but you have to draw the line somewhere. If somebody's too drunk to stand upright anymore and then the crew has to come drag them out of the venue - sorry, but that's just a bit too much in my opinion :|

Prince banned cameras during his 21-night run at the O2 in London. There was a camera check at the front door. Seemed to be very effective. I certainly didn't see very much in the way of amateur photography at the two shows I attended.

For me, whenever I look back at the pictures from the show I took, I get a silly smile on my face remembering it. This may sound stupid, but those 2+ hours I saw them has been the only period of time in my life where I was truly and completely happy with no outside emotions conflicting with it. I'd never experienced that before and I doubt I will again. Forgive me for wanting to have memories of that show.

Not saying that you can't take pics/videos - please don't mistake what I said. A page earlier, I've also said that there's nothing wrong with doing that. I also take some pics myself, and just like you, get that same silly smile on my face when watching back :) The only thing I do have a problem with is the fact that some people take their cameras out ALL night long and where you can just see that they didn't live the experience to the fullest, or didn't want to. Whether it's because they were only watching the show through a tiny camerascreen or whether they were on the phone with friends all night (or due to any other external factors, for that matter).

Not saying that you can't take pics/videos - please don't mistake what I said. A page earlier, I've also said that there's nothing wrong with doing that. I also take some pics myself, and just like you, get that same silly smile on my face when watching back :) The only thing I do have a problem with is the fact that some people take their cameras out ALL night long and where you can just see that they didn't live the experience to the fullest, or didn't want to. Whether it's because they were only watching the show through a tiny camerascreen or whether they were on the phone with friends all night.

Ah, I get what your saying now. :up:

Prince banned cameras during his 21-night run at the O2 in London. There was a camera check at the front door. Seemed to be very effective. I certainly didn't see very much in the way of amateur photography at the two shows I attended.

Well, not that I'm surprised to hear that Prince did this, but isn't it a bit late to close the barn door when everyone has cameras on their phones?! I've been wondering if that's why U2 doesn't ban cameras--not because they're necessarily generous toward their fans but because once you set the "no camera" rule you're stuck trying to keep people from using their phones.

i plan on taking a good 20 pics during the show. you don't like it? we can talk about it outside.

^^They weren't banned during Elevation right? Cell phone cameras weren't really around then.

I dont really have a problem with people taking pics, so long as they arnt in my way.

However. TALKING on a phone? How the fuck do you even hear whos on the other end? Lame. :tsk:

Well, not that I'm surprised to hear that Prince did this, but isn't it a bit late to close the barn door when everyone has cameras on their phones?! I've been wondering if that's why U2 doesn't ban cameras--not because they're necessarily generous toward their fans but because once you set the "no camera" rule you're stuck trying to keep people from using their phones.

That's always going to be a problem, I guess, especially with every phone having a camera on it, just like you said... And at some events, they just don't bother checking bags for (other) cameras even though they clearly stated beforehand that no cameras were allowed.

That's always going to be a problem, I guess, especially with every phone having a camera on it, just like you said... And at some events, they just don't bother checking bags for (other) cameras even though they clearly stated beforehand that no cameras were allowed.

I walked right into the Garden with cameras in hand. :lol:

I'm realliy thinking about this.. because... yeah, it kinda ruins the experience, you CAN'T jump up and down if you're filming/taking pictures, you can't do what you're supossed to do in a rock concert, but at the same time, you tend to FORGET a lot of things later on, and pictures/film is a really big help to remember things about a show you went to

I'm thinking about this because IRON MAIDEN is coming soon, and a week later, my lifelong dream of seeing KISS LIVE is abput to come true.. and I want to remember everything about tha, but I want to live it, too

If only I had a twin brother :angry:

but really, I take good pictures at this events

that's the worst part... If my stuff was shitty I could give it up easily... but look at this
(position/location is the most important thing, though)

U2 - Vertigo Buenos Aires N°1
U2327.jpg

U2378.jpg

U2 - Vertigo Santiago
U2-366.jpg

U2-181.jpg

WWE Smackdown February 2008
Smackdown301.jpg

Smackdown330.jpg

People who takes CRAP with their cameras/phones should be banned...

when you see a lot of people throwing FLASH photos in a stadium, they're morons, because unless you're really close, the flash get you a thing, except maybe the back of the head of the people in front of you

a NO CELLPHONES thing would be great.. but.. sponsored by Blackberry? I don't think so

I agree, some people take waaay too many pics/vids of every waking moment of ones's life, this epidemic doesn't just happen at concerts, its everywhere just look around - and its getting worse. :lol:

What is the point of pictrues on a mobile phone anyway? As for those who insist on sticking there arm over my shoulder with some crappy camera phone when 20 rows form the stage...well getting your poxy camera 1 foot closer makes NO DIFFERENCE. The photo will suck either way.

I went to shows where I took lots of photos, and I went to shows where I took none.

If people want to spend 2 hours taking them, I don't care. Honestly, I have no awareness of the people around me unless they are being directly irritating to me in some extreme way. I'm there to have a good time and tend not to pay attention to what everyone else and their brother are doing. If you're climbing on my back or some such (this has happened in the past) then we'll have a problem, but otherwise, who cares?

This is starting to become the trend at concerts. For the past few years every show I attend people are texting, taking pictures, or talking on the phone. I don't understand and there is no stopping it unless artist (which many are doing) ban cameras at the show. This will be near impossible at a stadium show though.

Its not just concerts though. Any social event where something extraordinary happens someone will be there letting the outside world what is going on. Even at the dinner table kids & even adults check their phones to get a text message in.

We just live in a youtube generation where many people want the moment NOW and think taking a picture/texting/calling a friend will make them feel better. I think these people heard "Good job honey" from their parents as a kid :)

Pepokiss what are you shooting with? That Undertaker picture is quality. I have a Nikon D300....I don't think I'll bring that with me to a U2 show.

Social networking + camera phones = Ruination of concert experience.

As said above, people are so concerned with recording the moment, they forget to live it!

And I would LOVE if Bono would do that.

well there was the famous Bono cell phone incident, and everyone was like HE WAS JUST TAKING A PICTURE BONO IS SUCH A DICK

so I have a feeling the general reception wouldn't be too great if he did that :lol:

as for this topic, I pretty much agree. I'll probably have my friend bring his camera to take a few pics, but if I am fucking up front, I am going to be rocking the fuck out. Camera mainly would be for the GA line up and the (extremely unlikely) off-chance that i meet the band, somehow. Will definitely not spend the majority of the concert taking pics and will certainly not have anything to do with my cell phone. If it's something I've waited 4 years for I'm gonna enjoy it as much as I can :up:

i plan on taking a good 20 pics during the show. you don't like it? we can talk about it outside.

Haha :up:

Take pictures or don't take pictures. Talk on the phone all night with your friends (the sound of the band will drown you out, and I won't hear you, anyway) or don't. Drink your face off or don't. I'll be too busy enjoying the show, and probably snapping a few pictures myself, to notice what anyone else is doing.

Seriously, what is this preoccupation lately with what others are doing? :huh: If that impacts your enjoyment of the show in any way, then you're obviously not paying enough attention to the show, yourself. Live and let live, people.

Back
Top Bottom