Brisbane Setlist & Watch Party Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:

It's making up for the fact that they didn't get the Elevation Tour.

Yeah, of course. It's great though when U2 setlists are full of newer stuff. Not so much the case for Popmart and Elevation. But they had the songs in 1993 and they have got them again now :dancing:

The Lalat said:

Yeah, of course. It's great though when U2 setlists are full of newer stuff. Not so much the case for Popmart and Elevation. But they had the songs in 1993 and they have got them again now :dancing:

?

I don't understand what you mean.

Axver said:

To answer your questions in order:

- His voice was great and he hit the notable notes. Miss Sarajevo got a big cheer, though for all but the most major notes, I felt he was holding back compared to some of last year's performances.
- No bloody clue; too busy enjoying them myself.
- I had earplugs, so I don't know. I never pay much attention to crowds, sorry.
- Yeah, Bono was his usual interactive self, trying to lead crowd participation. Seemed to work amongst the people around me.
- Very political show, the three casual fans I went with all remarked on that as soon as the gig ended!
- Show went very quick. I was surprised at the time when it ended.
- Funniest moment was a Bono comment at the start of One: "look at that beautiful moon! Oh, it's a spotlight."

Was his voice stronge like in the 2nd and 3rd leg or a bit weaker like in the 4th leg?

Axver said:
I think I missed a couple of snippets elsewhere too, like during Angel Of Harlem.

Young Australians (to the tune of Young Americans). I'd say it was an impromtu thing by the reaction of Edge and then Bono shrugging & what seemed to be laughing at himself afterwards...

phillyfan26 said:

?

I don't understand what you mean.

From memory, Elevation drew heavily from pre-Popmart work and almost forgot Pop itself. Ie, only really 1/2 dozen songs from ATYCLB (ie, the last two albums at the time). Elevation seemed to look back more.

Whereas tonight (like Zoomerang 93) had a much higher ration of newer stuff.

Making I am making too big a point of it.

Last edited:
Maquaman said:

Young Australians (to the tune of Young Americans). I'd say it was an impromtu thing by the reaction of Edge and then Bono shrugging & what seemed to be laughing at himself afterwards...

Ahh, so that's what was in Angel Of Harlem? I thought I recognised the tune but I couldn't make out what Bono was saying! Thanks! :)

I don't suppose you know if Bono snippeted something at the end of COBL? My notes say "when the rain comes", but I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't the Beatles' Rain as I would expect to recognise that. I remember it was two lines, the one I just mentioned and another mentioning rain that I'm sure is not in the Beatles' Rain. It may not have actually been a snippet, just a reference to the night before.

Anyone who went to the concert , can help me with the GUITARS OF Kite , Walk On and Angel ? PLEASE

The Lalat said:

From memory, Elevation drew heavily from pre-Popmart work and almost forgot Pop itself. Ie, only really 1/2 dozen songs from ATYCLB (ie, the last two albums at the time). Elevation seemed to look back more.

From Pop, the Elevation Tour had Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Gone, Please, and Wake Up Dead Man (WUDM was done more on Elevation than Popmart!). That's five. Maximum was three in one show though.

From ATYCLB, the Vertigo Tour has had six songs, though In A Little While only twice and Kite currently just the once.

I'd say Vertigo looked back more than Elevation. I mean, come on, An Cat Dubh, The Ocean, 40, amongst others?

Originally posted by carrotflowers How was his voice?/ How was Kite?? Did the crowd sing to the more obscure songs?? Was the crowd really loud?? Did he make the crowd sing much?/ Did he go on any political rants?? Did the show feel like it went quick?? Any funny moments?/ and so on and so on.

Best vocals from Bono ever in Australia IMO (OK well the shows I've been to anyway!). Very strong.

Kite was cool. The didg was a nice addition.

Crowd went off. We were about 10m from end of B stage on Edge's side and crowd almost drowned out the band on occasions and the band were pretty damn loud themselves!

A few political rants but nothing really over the top.

Whole band seemed to be in great spirits and Bono in particular seemed to be having a great time. A few funny moments with the moon/spotlight probably being the funniest.

There were a few moments where it was obvious they hadn't quite got into the tour groove yet with a few stuff ups. The most noticable was Bono absolutely murdering the start of Walk On. Will make for a good cd!

I really thought they were going to do a 3rd encore after they went off after kite. The lights stayed off for what seemed to be a good 5 minutes and the crowd was still yelling out for more throughout. I really wish they had come back on and played '40'. It would have been a nice thank you to the crowd for the postponement.

Only negative was getting in to the ground with the pat down body searches meaning that the show was delayed for half and hour because of the amount of people still waiting to get in at scheduled start time. No joke, we were lined up to get in for over an hour. My advice to any going to any show on this leg is to get there nice and early...

Setlist = awesome!! :drool:

Oh, it's so good to see setlists again. So excited for the lucky people who were there.

WEEEEEEEEEE!

Oh, and for the curious, the outro music was Streets Of Your Town by The Go-Betweens, an Aussie band. Bono snippeted that song twice during the show, once in Elevation and once in WOWY.

Axver said:

I'd say Vertigo looked back more than Elevation. I mean, come on, An Cat Dubh, The Ocean, 40, amongst others?

Yes, max 3 Pop songs played during Elevation - it was less towards the end.

And, i agree about the Vertigo tour in general looking back, but I was talking more about actual numbers of tracks from each period played tonight. Of the early 80s there was only NYD and Sunday. No Boy stuff, no "40". Only 3 pre-1987 songs.

15 out of 21 songs were post-1990 from my counting.

Anyway, just an observation, i shouldn't be too analytical. :)

Last edited:
Maquaman said:
There were a few moments where it was obvious they hadn't quite got into the tour groove yet with a few stuff ups. The most noticable was Bono absolutely murdering the start of Walk On. Will make for a good cd!

:lol: Yeah! A few times, I noticed Bono messed up his timing. He also sung the wrong line at the start of Zoo Station, which threw me off.

I really thought they were going to do a 3rd encore after they went off after kite. The lights stayed off for what seemed to be a good 5 minutes and the crowd was still yelling out for more throughout. I really wish they had come back on and played '40'. It would have been a nice thank you to the crowd for the postponement.

Absolutely! I was surprised at how long the house lights stayed down, and I thought we were going to be in for an extra treat.

Only negative was getting in to the ground with the pat down body searches meaning that the show was delayed for half and hour because of the amount of people still waiting to get in at scheduled start time. No joke, we were lined up to get in for over an hour. My advice to any going to any show on this leg is to get there nice and early...

Oh, that was ridiculous. I've a few complaints about the show I'd like to make as the organisation was terrible:

1. Putting the GA line out in the scorching heat in the middle of a sports oval with no shade at all was a TERRIBLE idea. I nearly collapsed, thanks to various medical conditions making me not so keen on long exposure to heat.
2. The security were total fucking wankers. I ducked out of line to buy some water and found a shady spot to drink it, and got ordered back into line despite my protests of heat exhaustion. Then when I tried to go to the medicos, the security were total pricks about it. Then when the medicos came with me to find me a nice shady spot to sit until we were let into the gig, the security were reluctant to take their advice!
3. The impatient young fuckwits in the Mains Road carpark. But I won't get into that.
4. The total lack of rubbish bins ANYWHERE. I feel sorry for whoever had to clean up the mess in the GA line area.

WHat was The Saints are Coming like? Did the crowd enjoy it, Was it performed well? Is it better without Green Day?

The Lalat said:

Yes, i agree about the Vertigo tour in general, but I was talking more about actual numbers of tracks from each period played tonight. Of the early 80s there was only NYD and Sunday. No Boy stuff, no "40".

15 out of 21 songs were post-1990 from my counting.

Anyway, just an observation, i shouldn't be too analytical. :)

Ah, yeah. Analytical is good, it's what I do for a hobby. :wink:

I really wish that we had been treated to some more of the early material as that would have surely gone down well with the audience. I definitely think I Will Follow or The Electric Co. would have received a better reception than Yahweh.

And I must say, SYCMIOYO was easily the worst song of the night just because it was a total snoozefest. The song is dead weight and has to go.

J_NP said:
Anyone who went to the concert , can help me with the GUITARS OF Kite , Walk On and Angel ? PLEASE

Kite: edge used one of his gibson 70's les paul customs in cream colour and bono used what looked like a black gibson hummingbird acoustic

walk on: bono used his gretsch irish falcon, edge used one of the music rising guitars, the black one with the music rising logo on it

angel: big surprise here, edge used his explorer:drool:

jimjam said:
WHat was The Saints are Coming like? Did the crowd enjoy it, Was it performed well? Is it better without Green Day?

In order:

- I enjoyed it.
- Went down very well with most folks near me. It met with a good amount of cheers.
- Seemed played well to me. It's only the second time I've heard the song though.
- Inherently yes.

As far as Walk On goes, Bono just buggered up his timing.

quadcaster said:
angel: big surprise here, edge used his explorer:drool:

Holy shit, did he? I didn't notice guitars all too much - I was mainly watching Bono's screen anyway as Edge's was furthest from me and I had trouble picking the guitars on it anyway.

What else was the Explorer used on, just BD?

carrotflowers said:

I second that question.. also, how did he murder the start of 'Walk On'??

saints was great but not a lot of people knew it and nobody around me (bar myself ofcourse) knew the words. it was better without greenday, and im not saying that cause of dislike for greenday because i dont mind them.... it was just better without them

and walk on was "murdered" because bono forgot the words, and when he remembered them he started singing at the wrong part of the chord progression so it sounded very off lol....... twas interesting

also another interesting point: the edges telecaster cut out on him during vertigo

Axver said:

And I must say, SYCMIOYO was easily the worst song of the night just because it was a total snoozefest. The song is dead weight and has to go.

SYCMIOYO getting onto U218 and not say COBL i cannot understand. My only real gripe with the selection of singles. :banghead: COBL is the new song I am perhaps looking forward to the most (Syd & Melb).

Axver said:

Holy shit, did he? I didn't notice guitars all too much - I was mainly watching Bono's screen anyway as Edge's was furthest from me and I had trouble picking the guitars on it anyway.

bd and the saints, i dont think it was used for anything else...

Lol, Bono likes to mess up Walk on, doesn't he?
And I think Sometimes should stay on, it's apparently quite an important tune for Bono, and I always find it very touching, especially when he actually manages to hit those notes.
Thanx for all the reports.

Oh, I don't suppose if anyone remembers if Bono snippeted anything at the end of Vertigo? I was just totally into enjoying the ending and then it was over and I realised "oh crap, I totally failed to note if any snippets *cough*SheLovesYou*cough* snuck in there!"

And speaking of technical errors, for the first few songs, a small part of the screen on the upper-left centre wasn't working properly, so it made images look a bit odd, especially when UTEOTW when Edge was on that part of the screen rocking the song out. I noticed later in the show that it seemed to be working fine.

well. Goodnight everyone. Glad you guys enjoyed the show. I can't wait for Adelaide!!! my first show ever. Don't forget Axver, I'll source it for all ya'll here at interference! :wink:

Axver said:

Was Bono well hydrated during the night? How many strings were on Edge's guitar? Where can I get some really small lithium batteries? Did the band play music? How was the assistant light director's performance? Have you seen my sanity lately? Axver, are u as sexy as you sound?

carrotflowers said:
well. Goodnight everyone. Glad you guys enjoyed the show. I can't wait for Adelaide!!! my first show ever. Don't forget Axver, I'll source it for all ya'll here at interference! :wink:

I sent you an e-mail. :)

back from bris, burnt to a crisp, 70th in line at 6am. good setlist, walk on was murdered, bono forgot lyrics in most of the songs which was a bit dissapointing but oh well. kite was ok, not sure about it as a closer tho. fly was brilliant as was the saints, got some wicked pics, will post when developed. ended up on the rail inside the edges b-stage, great position. another sad thing was bono making very little eye contact with anyone through the whole show, when on the catwalks he seemed to be looking up at the sky and not focusing on anyone, edge and adam really got involved which was great anyways.

vocally he was THE BEST i have heard him in years, some of the high notes he belted out he held for ages with no faults whatsoever, 10/10 for the voice.

the crowd was pumped with a mexican wave that did about 6 laps of the entire stadium and forced arcade fires 'wake up', very cool indeed.

need sleep more tomorrow, and more from sydney over the next 5 days, cant wait!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom