Boot, Surprise, Arizona Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GOYB is either gonna be freaking massive live, or really really gonna suck.

Ha, yeah, I'm kind of curious how they're going to pull it off properly. Bonnie suggested Bono will have a heartattack, and I'm not sure Larry will make it either.

I know everyone else has heard already, but I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts.

I like it, and it's grown on me with multiple listens, though I'm worried it will taper off soon and decline again ... in any case, not a bad song. I like the layers, I like that the music has nuance and depth and rewards repeated listens. The lyrics are almost nonsense in places, and "sexy boots" is one of the worst things Bono has ever put to tape, but in most cases, the lyrics somehow come together anyway. I'm glad to hear U2 are trying new things, and I hope this bodes well for a well-developed and interesting album. I'm feeling more optimistic now.

I think, IF this single is any indication, this could be like October meets Pop hitting HTDAAB. In other words, a great performance from Larry and Adam, innovation, and some rawk.

Ha, yeah, I'm kind of curious how they're going to pull it off properly. Bonnie suggested Bono will have a heartattack, and I'm not sure Larry will make it either.

Larry's gonna have a hard time of it, poor guy. Bono was right though, this is one of the fastest they've ever played. Only thing I can think of that comes close is Cry / Electric Co live, like on the October bonus disc.

Listening to the inauguration concert now: Pride sounds very, very meh. But I like Edge's jacket.

Adam's on fire, even if you can't really hear it.

Man, WTAHAN is losing the plot. We had a brief moment of semi-sanity earlier, when people like maycocksean were around, but it's gone again. Now GOYB is the B-52s? WTF.

I also got the Love Rescue Me snippet instead of Love Is Blindness and Stuck In A Moment, so not all that happy. But we did get longer setlists!

I'm hoping they will tour Europe in the summer. I might have to temporarily leave Europe for a year starting in the second semester, it would be a shame to miss them.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that Porcupine Tree will tour as well so that you go to Europe! Maybe we'll end up catching the same U2 concert together...

The LRM snippet was still at least something spontaneous and surprising ... but yeah, anything else from RAH would be much better. I do wonder why U2 did 23-24 song sets in South America but stuck around 22 here. Our encores felt a bit lacking because it was either ZS/Fly/WOWY or Fly/MW/WOWY, not all four.

It's probably safe to say the European tour will be in summer, as that's the easiest time for them to book stadiums. I just hate how expensive the flights from Australia to Europe are (I imagine it's just as bad between Brazil and Europe!). U2, Porcupine Tree, and plenty of sightseeing may be enough to justify it, though ... depends how much I have to travel to New Zealand to do historical research.

Listening to the inauguration concert now: Pride sounds very, very meh. But I like Edge's jacket.

Adam's on fire, even if you can't really hear it.

Pride's inherently going to sound very, very meh! It's live Pride.

At least Bono acknowledges both Israel and Palestine in Pride. :up: :up: :up:

That was a good moment. Then snippeting MLK's I Have A Dream speech at the very end was cool too.

At the moment, to my ears, there's actually two layers of percussion happening in the verses: the Middle Eastern-sounding drums, then a drumbeat that's almost the same as Vertigo happening at the same time.

But yeah, Adam's really having an amazing time here.

:hmm: You're right. The beginning is pretty vertigo ish but the percussion stuff I really like!

And did Bono get his balls chopped off or so? He's singing HIGH!

I gotta go to the dentist in 10 minutes, by bus. I'll put it on my ipod on repeat and see what I feel aout it.

With WITS it worked. :lol: It was the only song I played for three months, 1000 plays or so.

Having heard GOYB and now seen the inauguration video, I'm very hopeful for the upcoming tour, very hopeful indeed. You wouldn't think that 50 year old guys have that kind of energy.

And I really like Edge's jacket! Looks like something I'd wear...

:ohmy:

God, WITS. I've probably played it all of about ten times. Not much of a fan of it at all.
Heh, well I had a bet with someone. And I still do love that song.

It really shits me that Larry's playing the album version of COBL rather than the Vertigo tour version.

Yea, awesome isn't it? Seems like the fapper got some drum lessons!
Bono's voice is pretty bad tho.

Morning all. Just listened to GOYB for the first time.

The lyrics are silly, but I really like the music here. The snippets didn't do the song justice.

Absolutely. After those snippets, it pretty much was not possible for the song to disappoint me any more, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how it has snuck up behind me and sprung a bit of a surprise. The lyrics are starting to make more sense as the song sinks in, too. I imagine the song will ultimately fade into the background in the face of more substantial songs on the album - certainly I hope so! I'd rather it be a Vertigo or Discotheque kind of opening single that has the punch to introduce the album but is dwarfed by the other material than being a Beautiful Day or WOWY kind of single that defines the album.

Absolutely. After those snippets, it pretty much was not possible for the song to disappoint me any more, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how it has snuck up behind me and sprung a bit of a surprise. The lyrics are starting to make more sense as the song sinks in, too. I imagine the song will ultimately fade into the background in the face of more substantial songs on the album - certainly I hope so! I'd rather it be a Vertigo or Discotheque kind of opening single that has the punch to introduce the album but is dwarfed by the other material than being a Beautiful Day or WOWY kind of single that defines the album.

Perhaps after a few more listens the lyrics will sound better for me too, then.

And I agree that it works in the role of lead single and that other songs from the album will eventually stand out more.

I'm cautiously optimistic now.

See you later, GG2. :wave:

Perhaps after a few more listens the lyrics will sound better for me too, then.

And I agree that it works in the role of lead single and that other songs from the album will eventually stand out more.

I'm cautiously optimistic now.

I think Chass might actually be onto something, that the song could be a well-disguised track about Bono's wife. I can't say I'd be shocked if that layer of meaning is in there.

My cautious optimism, after reaching its lowest ebb yesterday, has definitely been restored. As I've said before you arrived, the new sounds for the band and the nuances in the music show a depth not present on most of their recent work and if they keep that up for the rest of the album, we could be in for something quite interesting and rewarding. A new U2 album that rewards repeated listens would be very welcome ...

I think Chass might actually be onto something, that the song could be a well-disguised track about Bono's wife. I can't say I'd be shocked if that layer of meaning is in there.

My cautious optimism, after reaching its lowest ebb yesterday, has definitely been restored. As I've said before you arrived, the new sounds for the band and the nuances in the music show a depth not present on most of their recent work and if they keep that up for the rest of the album, we could be in for something quite interesting and rewarding. A new U2 album that rewards repeated listens would be very welcome ...

I wonder what the bloody hell the lyrics actually are, I can't make them out as usual.

And the last time there was this sort of depth on a U2 album was... hmm. TJT (mostly Streets) comes to mind, Achtung, most of Zooropa. That's about it.

The LRM snippet was still at least something spontaneous and surprising ... but yeah, anything else from RAH would be much better. I do wonder why U2 did 23-24 song sets in South America but stuck around 22 here. Our encores felt a bit lacking because it was either ZS/Fly/WOWY or Fly/MW/WOWY, not all four.

Well, we never got to see them live during the 80s - especially during Lovetown - and early 90s, so I guess we deserved the extra song!

It's probably safe to say the European tour will be in summer, as that's the easiest time for them to book stadiums. I just hate how expensive the flights from Australia to Europe are (I imagine it's just as bad between Brazil and Europe!). U2, Porcupine Tree, and plenty of sightseeing may be enough to justify it, though ... depends how much I have to travel to New Zealand to do historical research.

The flights are ridiculously expensive - they increased when gas prices went up but of course did not go down now that gas is cheap...

Anyways, it's time for me to go. See you guys around.
:wave:

I wonder what the bloody hell the lyrics actually are, I can't make them out as usual.

And the last time there was this sort of depth on a U2 album was... hmm. TJT (mostly Streets) comes to mind, Achtung, most of Zooropa. That's about it.

Not Pop? I mean, I'd say WUDM is the most layered song in U2 history. I can't believe what's in there; it's got to be one of the most rewarding listening experiences.

Well, we never got to see them live during the 80s - especially during Lovetown - and early 90s, so I guess we deserved the extra song!

True! It's a shame the plans U2 had to tour South America in early 1988 never went ahead ...

The flights are ridiculously expensive - they increased when gas prices went up but of course did not go down now that gas is cheap...

Anyways, it's time for me to go. See you guys around.
:wave:

Typical!

Have a good one. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom