Bono's voice has got worned out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Swan269 said:
U2's spirit was great tonight, that is all that matters.

That's depend of how are you experience the gig, I mean, if you are watching or listening to it :uhoh:

When you're watching a performance it's easier to pay less atention to the vocal performance, and pay more atention to the overall energy, venue, crowd, etc. So vocal problems (mistakes, raspy, cracks, dimished range, rough voice, etc) are more hidden when you're watching the gig.

On the contrary, when you're listening to the performance, any vocal problems are revealed so clearly that you can jugde the performance for the singer alone.

This is the reason why many fans tend to believe any official DVD performance is always mind-blowing, killer, awesome, once in a lifetime, best ever, etc, when most of the time that's far from being true :(

I don't get it. One thread says Bono has never sounded better, the next says he sounds terrible. :shrug: He sounds better than Mick Jagger at any rate.

This is also coming from the person that said the sound quality on the ZooTV DVD wasnt good....sorry but it was as good and better as any DVD they have put out, in both DTS and Dolby Digital.

Zootlesque said:

Awesome! :applaud:

Any pics?

:shh: you hafta go back into PLEBA for that!

I didn't hear anything wrong with Bono's voice... :shrug: it's been that 'raspy' for a long while, ever since Pop... and I think it's a good thing... it makes him sound... more like a man.... it's kinda hard to explain :lol:

Yahweh said:
This is also coming from the person that said the sound quality on the ZooTV DVD wasnt good....sorry but it was as good and better as any DVD they have put out, in both DTS and Dolby Digital.

Well, when I wrote that I hadnt trrey the dts :)

doctorwho said:

Maybe you have super ears or super speakers, because Bono's voice sounded fine to me. No raspiness or airiness to it. He even screamed!

Plus, given the type of songs they sang, uh, what type of voice were you expecting here? Some operatic over-the-top vocal? This was a pseudo-punk performance - the voice suited the music.

There are times when Bono's voice is gone - this wasn't one of them, IMO.

Funny, though, I felt Bono's voice was weak on the Slane concert, yet so many others thought it was fantastic. So I guess everyone looks at vocals differently. :shrug:

You can hear clear on BD that he is worn out.

gorman said:
I really don't think it was that bad. He hit the high notes pretty well, and had a lot of power during "touch"

Yeah, that's really sweet that they brought back a great song like "Touch." I like how it flowed right into "Things To Make And Do" which flowed into "These Songs won't be played again, ever"

Ifeelnumb84 said:

Yeah, that's really sweet that they brought back a great song like "Touch." I like how it flowed right into "Things To Make And Do" which flowed into "These Songs won't be played again, ever"

Hilarious =P

Just in case you actually thought I was calling one of the songs "Touch," I'll clarify by saying that I was referring to the "Toouucchhh" part of BD that Bono belts out :)

OMG, talking about Bono's voice wearing out reminds me of some debates sometime ago (forgot where it was) of Mariah Carey's voice wearing out....
Quit it!!

doctorwho said:
Bono's voice sounded fine to me. No raspiness or airiness to it. I felt Bono's voice was weak on the Slane concert, yet so many others thought it was fantastic.
Me too so if it was even better than that I'm not worried :)

JCOSTER said:
Well I spoke to him today and his voice sounded fine!!!:ohmy:

and no not going bald
and not fat either

simply dreamy!

Bono is tubby and went bald a long time ago

Ifeelnumb84 said:

I was just thinking today that it wouldve been cool if they shook thi9ngs up and played touch at the superdome. Bd d d d d uh uh uh shk ah lol

Come on people, the guy has been on a much deserved vacation enjoying himself. He has obviously been re-charging his batteries this summer, for the most part anyway, big deal!! He deserves to give it a rest.
The voice is a muscle and just like exercise it takes a little bit to get back in shape. Lay off! The B man is awesome no matter what he sounds like! Hawaii is going to be incredible!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpxJO2ectA

Bono and Alicia Keys performing Don't give up on Oprah show.

Wow, he hit a high note in the line "Keep my EYES down below", anyone know here how high that was. He sound better then he did on the Superdome performence, still he is a little weaker and shaky on the lower parts. But it is an improvement since superdome.

I dont think he sounded that bad.

But I do think he owes it to his fans (and to himself) to lay off the cigs and the red wine damnit! Don't thank us for giving you a great life...clock in to your job like the rest of us.

Bitching aside, I think he is sounding good and actually looking cool for the first time since Popmart.

I will take Bono with POPmart voice over anything they have done after that.

And as said you can bet on it that he will sound a lot better when the concerts continue.

schnumi said:
I will take Bono with POPmart voice over anything they have done after that.

And as said you can bet on it that he will sound a lot better when the concerts continue.

Sure Bono could hit some high keys on Popmart, also his falsetto was still strong back then. But he was very shaky and sometimes the voice went not so personal like it is now. On the Vertigo tour he hit high C on "Wide Awake" in Bad very high, he sings WTSHNN in its original key, wich he didnt do on Popmart. Just compare how he sings Discotheque on Popmart and on Vertigo Tour. He has so much more power and force on the Vertigo version.

Last edited:
Popmart was definitely what I would call Bono's low point vocally. Just due to the sheer number of nights that he sounded totally out of gas. Post-2000 live Bono has been pretty damn good to me, and I hope he keeps it up.

I just heard the Superdome performance tonight (I have been out of the country for three weeks.) My impression was that both Bono and Billie Joe were off key, and that Bono did sound raspy. But consider that a) the noise level inside the dome must have been incredible so trying to hit notes would have been tough and b) U2 hasn't performed in public as a band since Buenos Aires, so you can't expect him or them to be perfect the first timeout. The studio is a lot different than playing inside a place that huge.

I will say Edge was on target as always and it was wonderful to hear the ovation he got. After hearing about this for weeks and reading about it on the boards, it was fun to finally watch it.

Heres a question for all who is good on keys/notes, the way he sings "Keep my EYES down below" does that type of singing damage your voice, because my thougt is would it be possible for him to use the voice power in ISHFWILF or does that damage your voice if you sing it all nights on a tour? Would be great to hear him use this kind of singing in ISHFWILF :)

He may be raspy and thinner vocally but I'll take his current (Electrical Storm - Bomb - Vertigo tour) voice over Popmart and Elevation.

I'm sure he will sound better on tour than such one-nighters.

Last edited:
Well, based on Don't give up, I don't think we have much to worry. Sure the voice got thinner and not as clean tone as pre-1990, but I'd gladly trade that for those notes.
I thought the previous two lines were his peak for that song but then "keep my EYES down below" and "WHATEVER may go". Wow.

I don't think he could endure such notes on a nightly basis - I mean there is Sometimes "sing" and "l'amour" in Miss Sarajevo but that's two moments, not entire verses so high like I still haven't found.

I'd be interested in hearing singers' opinion on this though.

Last edited:
He hasn't lost a thing, but sometimes I think he is more than a little bit out of practice. The first leg of the Vertigo Tour is a prime example. The first several dates he seemed to be struggling to reign it all in, especially the lighter songs that require touch and finesse rather than raw power. As the tour progressed, he seemed to get stronger and more focused.

Heres a question for all who is good on keys/notes, the way he sings "Keep my EYES down below" does that type of singing damage your voice, because my thougt is would it be possible for him to use the voice power in ISHFWILF or does that damage your voice if you sing it all nights on a tour? Would be great to hear him use this kind of singing in ISHFWILF

Back
Top Bottom