Bonos Voice Eras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
So wich era did Bono have his best voice?

Heres my favorite:

The only time he could sing "In The Naaaaaaaaaaame Of Love" with that power force.

He may be had a stronger force in the JT era, but he didnt have the techinics on that tour like he did on ZooTV, what a falsette, and around this time he realy learned to sing.

Why didnt they tour this year, Bono's voice was amazing this year. Mix his JT voice, ZooTV and Popmart voice togheter and you got the sound from the period. He had a very storng voice with a sound he never had before and never got after this time. Just listen to
1995-09-12 - One, 1995-03-30th - The Cross and U2 - 1995-11-11 - Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad.

2004-2006
Bono have never sing with such a passion, sadness and feeling like he does right now. Miss Sarajevo, SYCMIOYO...... He gave old song new life, what about 2005-09-20 - Discotheque. He used his new force on it. Some other song with new life "Electric Co", "Beautiful Day"....

So why dosnt I have the 1987 era? Sure he got a realy good voice and a strong force, but he didnt have that personality in his voice like he had in the years I wrote above. I think that the live versions on the JT tour are fairly boring.

I much prefer Bono's voice of the latter tours and recordings, I look back at clips from the likes of Lovetown or hear bootlegs and I dont care much for his voice back then(compared to his voice now that is).

I think his voice is softer now, it lacks the hard edge it used to have.There are notable exceptions, obviously pride SBS etc.But on the whole I rhink his voice has matured fantastic and I love the more mellow sound he has now.

I think my favourite would have been during ATYCLB/Elevation tour time.
It was very smooth and soothing, but it also had a fair amount of range and power.

'92/'93 was his peak, you can't beat that voice!

i thought '01 (elevation tour), you know, there was something special. he surely didn't have his voice from the past, but one of his songs described it best:

"Can't sing but I've got soul"

Listening to Slane Castle...I mean just listen to Beautiful day, to the chorus. It's so powerful, there's so much spirit and soul in that!

in '05/'06 i feel like he's missing that from what he had on the elevation tour, but his voice has evened out quite well (he also hits high notes now like 12-13 years ago!)

it's hard to say which one i like best...but elevation was quite special. really, "can't sing but i've got soul" captures it so well!

mackemlad said:
I much prefer Bono's voice of the latter tours and recordings, I look back at clips from the likes of Lovetown or hear bootlegs and I dont care much for his voice back then(compared to his voice now that is).

I think his voice is softer now, it lacks the hard edge it used to have.There are notable exceptions, obviously pride SBS etc.But on the whole I rhink his voice has matured fantastic and I love the more mellow sound he has now.

Well listen to the SBS from the 2004-11-18 - Clinton Presidential Center and Library, he realy sings it in a news way. Why didnt he sing SBS like this on the Vertigo tour.

Meghan said:
I think my favourite would have been during ATYCLB/Elevation tour time.
It was very smooth and soothing, but it also had a fair amount of range and power.

I think the Elevation tour was fairly boring., just because by his voice. It was like when he tried to hit a high key it went just low and or you can say it just took stop. Its like Edge playing his Streets sound very low. The only intessting show was Slane were he was very good.

Last edited:
When he wasn't suffering from illness, I personally think 1989 Bono owns all of the competition.

I've heard many good singers, but I can't think of one to top Bono when he was on form in 1989. The power, depth, and range of his voice was absolutely astounding - it's just a shame that at the same time, he was killing it. Of course, many singers out there are more technically talented or have a broader range, but the whole sound of 1989 Bono appeals more to me. Though actually, now that I think about it, Freddie Mercury's extraordinary talent may top 1989 Bono for me. I'll have to give that one more consideration.

I'm also quite partial to 1983 Bono. The raw power of his voice was gaining more depth and maturity than it had in the early years and I think he sounded great, though I know some people aren't too keen on pre-UF Bono's singing.

Axver said:
When he wasn't suffering from illness, I personally think 1989 Bono owns all of the competition.

I've heard many good singers, but I can't think of one to top Bono when he was on form in 1989. The power, depth, and range of his voice was absolutely astounding - it's just a shame that at the same time, he was killing it. Of course, many singers out there are more technically talented or have a broader range, but the whole sound of 1989 Bono appeals more to me. Though actually, now that I think about it, Freddie Mercury's extraordinary talent may top 1989 Bono for me. I'll have to give that one more consideration.

I'm also quite partial to 1983 Bono. The raw power of his voice was gaining more depth and maturity than it had in the early years and I think he sounded great, though I know some people aren't too keen on pre-UF Bono's singing.

He had a better voice on JT then LT, just listen to ISHFWILF,WTSHNN,NYD,WOWY....... he sang them a lot better on JT then on LT. He had a much more wide range in his voice on JT, he had a little hoarse sound in his voice on the LT.

He was screaming to much at LT, I think that the key he did screaming in LT, he sang in JT. Just listen to the
1987-04-29 Chicago show. When he sing the "so to find a way, I'm wide awake" and "please to meet you" in Bad, he never had that strong force at LT. Just listen to ISHFWILF from the same show and compare to LT. He hadnt that wide operatic force in his voice on LT like he had on JT.

Peterrrrr said:

He had a better voice on JT then LT, just listen to ISHFWILF,WTSHNN,NYD,WOWY....... he sang them a lot better on JT then on LT. He had a much more wide range in his voice on JT, he had a little hoarse sound in his voice on the LT.

He was screaming to much at LT, I think that the key he did screaming in LT, he sang in JT. Just listen to the
1987-04-29 Chicago show. When he sing the "so to find a way, I'm wide awake" and "please to meet you" in Bad, he never had that strong force at LT. Just listen to ISHFWILF from the same show and compare to LT. He hadnt that wide operatic force in his voice on LT like he had on JT.

Uh, no.

1989-12-26, Where The Streets Have No Name and One Tree Hill.

I rest my case.

Axver said:

Uh, no.

1989-12-26, Where The Streets Have No Name and One Tree Hill.

I rest my case.

Of all the WTSHNN LT version I've hear he dosent sing them so good like he did on the JT versions.

I actually think his voice was best around Live Aid. He was hitting all notes, and hitting them hard without fail. This is the time he had his most powerful voice. Listening to some of the UF boots he really was letting it all out.

Joshua Tree vocals were sensational, although I still prefer Lovetown when he wasnt having problems. Bono screaming etc was awesome, but I agree WOWY was best played on the JT tour.

ZooTV was another illustration of superb vocals. Not quite the raw power of the previous tours but still excellent vocals accompanied by one of the best falsettos.

Everything after that is sub par. Can't hit the high notes, can't do the falsetto properly, songs are having to be played slower to put less strain on him. Notes are not held as long, many notes are avoided, songs re-arranged to workaround the hard parts of the songs, which usually are the best parts. Some of U2's best material will never be sung again due to lacking vocals, or not sung properly.

Not knocking his voice from Pop-Vertigo, but its definately lacking. Bono knows it, so he works to his strengths, which in the end comes off quite good.

I personally like Bono's UF voice the most. He had so much strength back then and could bust out the notes in Bad and Pride. He can do the same now, but back then, he could hold the notes too. Plus, MLK.

But I also really like Elevation Bono because his voice was really thick but soft? Hard to explain but that's what his voice sounds to me when I listen back to live shows during that time.

So why dosnt I have the 1987 era? Sure he got a realy good voice and a strong force, but he didnt have that personality in his voice like he had in the years I wrote above. I think that the live versions on the JT tour are fairly boring. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there, I saw the JT Tour 3x and it was outstanding even when he had the broken arm. He was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

I think he can sing like always, If you do Sunday Bloody Sunday from 83 to SBS now it sounds the same. :ohmy:

Axver said:

I have to agree with you Axver. I feel that the Love Town Bono was best vocally. The only two rock singers that might come close to being better - at least in studio - are Mercury, whom you mentioned, and Stevie Wonder (listen to some Wonder - that man has RANGE!).

The ZOO Bono was good too - a fullness, without blowing out his voice. However, he had his scratchiness too and often he bailed on the high notes.

Hence, the Vertigo era is now my second favorite. He hits the high notes, still does his operatic bursts, yet also has raw edge to his voice that adds more emotion to the songs. I'm enjoying this era of Bono's vocals, because I'm not sure they'll be around again.

After reading this thread a bit more, I want to add that I feel Bono finally learned to sing on the Red Rocks recording. Suddenly I heard this transformation from the "Boy"-"War" studio recordings and other live releases - Bono's voice sounded a lot better! This was reflected on UF - but he still screamed too much for me on that album (and tour). By Love Town, he could scream, reach high notes, do operatic bursts and do great love notes and falsettos. Of course, if there is a weakness with Love Town is that he fell into that "opera voice" too much. That opera voice is a bit of a falsetto too, that Bono used to hit high notes. Fortunately for him, it worked. ;)

Last edited:
ponkine said:
Does anyone here have heard Amnesty International Tour 1986 bootlegs?... :|

Yeah I have the Conspiracy of Hope show from Atlanta.

Sken said:
I actually think his voice was best around Live Aid. He was hitting all notes, and hitting them hard without fail. This is the time he had his most powerful voice. Listening to some of the UF boots he really was letting it all out.

Joshua Tree vocals were sensational, although I still prefer Lovetown when he wasnt having problems. Bono screaming etc was awesome, but I agree WOWY was best played on the JT tour.

In lovetown he got very much problem with the "got a cold" voice problem. What I mean with "got a cold" is a problem he started to get on the JT tour, that was the problem that took over his voice in 1989-12-18 - Amsterdam. It sounds like he got a very hard cold. Another example for that problem is the opening line on BTBS on R&H: In the howlin' wind.

Like I said; high notes he hit at the JT he had to scream out on the LT town and when he sreamed to much it went very hoarse.

Point Depot Show - New Year's Eve
Bono's voice has never sounded this good since
Absolutely spot on

I'd have to say the Achtung Baby era. Bono's chirpy voice from 86-89 kinda makes him a tad more difficult to listen to.

Rafiennes said:
Point Depot Show - New Year's Eve
Bono's voice has never sounded this good since
Absolutely spot on

On that show he dosent sing WTSHNN good like he did at the JT, it sounds that I can't handel some words full out. He did it on the JT tour.

I'm torn between ZooTV and Lovetown/JT (personally, they sound basically the same to me, I think it's just the superior quality of the Point Depot bootlegs that has me knocked out). On the one hand, the richness of JT/LT has me drooling, but on the other... he had never really utilized the upper registers of his voice until ZooTV, and he is extremely good at it. Can't Help Falling in Love is fantastic, even I, a girl, can't match those notes, and he had learned to use the subtle nuances of his voice as well, as opposed to sheer vocal range. During ZooTV it still had a lot of the lower ranges and the power, without any of the scratchiness (unless it was a bad night) that appeared on Elevation and Vertigo. In short, I love them equally. About how I feel about JT and AB--they're both equally great to me, but so different it's astounding. Great in different ways, ones I can't quantify and make a decision on.

Peterrrrr said:
I think the Elevation tour was fairly boring, just because by his voice. It was like when he tried to hit a high key it went just low and or you can say it just took stop. Its like Edge playing his Streets sound very low. The only interesting show was Slane where he was very good.
I disagree. His voice had changed quite a lot from what it used to be, and sometimes that meant he couldn't reach the highest of the high notes, but what he lost he made up for with power.
This whole topic is just opinions, and in my opinion, Bono's ability to give me that natural-high feeling was at its best during the Elevation tour.

ZooTV easily.
I'll take Bono with restraint and tasteful phrasing over bellowing chest voice JT Bono anyday.

Peterrrrr said:

Well listen to the SBS from the 2004-11-18 - Clinton Presidential Center and Library,

Do you have this track? I am not a big fan of SBS other than R&H Version (and for some reason the version on the Sao Paulo Broadcast. I would be very grateful if you know a way to get it.

Thanks

Peterrrrr said:
Another example for that problem is the opening line on BTBS on R&H: In the howlin' wind.

That's not having a cold as much as it's closing your throat. For reasons I've yet to figure out, he usually does it for that line on BTBS. It sounds ugly as sin to me, but here we are.

I think his LT voice is overated. He had this Kermit thing going on that is really irritating.

tommycharles said:

That's not having a cold as much as it's closing your throat. For reasons I've yet to figure out, he usually does it for that line on BTBS. It sounds ugly as sin to me, but here we are.

Actually, this line is an EXCELLENT example of that "opera voice" I discussed.

Bono used to fall into that "operatic" falsetto (and a falsetto doesn't just have to a high voice - any false voice) often to hit notes. For the most part, I felt he got away with it. The operatic falsetto allowed him to hit notes without having a full open voice - yet it also gave his voice a richer sound. He would only do that voice for a line or so, hence he "got away" with it. If he sang the whole song that way, he wouldn't be one of the best singers out there.

Most good singers fall into all sorts of falsettos to hit notes, add range or simply dimension to their vocals. Some do it for effect. A good singer knows when and how to use it - and is confident of properly using the falsettos. Trying to use a falsetto and failing is worse than dropping a high note, IMO.

doubleU said:
I think his LT voice is overated. He had this Kermit thing going on that is really irritating.

The Kermit thing is the operatic thing discussed below...and it's a take it or leave it thing for me...it's useful to hit things as long as it's used sparingly. I think the worst show ever for this was the McNichols show right before the Rattle and Hum one (what is it usually called on bootlegs....Mountains and something, I forget)... I'm not sure what Bono was thinking, but he used "that" voice for most of the show, and it remains my least favorite U2 boot for that reason.

tommycharles said:

The Kermit thing is the operatic thing discussed below...and it's a take it or leave it thing for me...it's useful to hit things as long as it's used sparingly. I think the worst show ever for this was the McNichols show right before the Rattle and Hum one

I understand that, but most people wouldn't know what I was talking about by calling it a falsetto, for most don't recognise that as a falsetto.

I wouldn't call it "operatic" at all. It just goes to show that Bono really perfected his falsetto during Zoo TV.

My favourite is Lovetown: perfect combination of the 80's power but a touch of Zoo TV's darker, lower "colour" of his voice.

I also enjoy his current (Kite, ES, Bomb/Vertigo tour) voice: he got the range but only this time he can sing it with control.

Back
Top Bottom