Bono's Vocal Range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OH I agree completely on the emotion, but people in this thread seem to think he's a gottdamn concert hall soloist.

No... the reason I became such a huge fan of Bono's voice was his emoting abilities. He has the range, he has the power, but there's that something special in his voice that pulls you in. There are plenty of better rock singers (Mercury and Elvis leap to mind), but Bono's voice has that special ability to connect the audience to the music even more. And that could come from the fact that even Bono acknowledges he is a good but not great singer (based on a RS ZOO TV era interview).

I think Peter knows some stuff about singing and Bono's voice in particular.

But those of you who want to believe that Bono was a better singer back in the 80s just don't want to accept it.

I listened to the 1987 Paris show yesterday, by accident, because it was played on the radio and I just thought: Oh wow, he was screaming so much, no matter his voice suffered.

I prefer Bono as a singer as he is today becasue I want him to sing and not to scream. I prefer him to have more control over his voice and some technical skills. It's almost painful to me to listen to some of the performances of the 80s because he's screaming so much.

And everyone saying he wasn't straining back then is simply in denial. He was straining so much, it damaged his voice. He just hadn't learned how to sing properly.

we are talking about the sound of the voice, not the fact that he was damaging it (which is a shame indeed). The sound, just the sound, sexyness and emotion in his voice, that's it. No technical abilities, nothing else than the pure sound....

No... the reason I became such a huge fan of Bono's voice was his emoting abilities. He has the range, he has the power, but there's that something special in his voice that pulls you in. There are plenty of better rock singers (Mercury and Elvis leap to mind), but Bono's voice has that special ability to connect the audience to the music even more. And that could come from the fact that even Bono acknowledges he is a good but not great singer (based on a RS ZOO TV era interview).

Nobody's denying his emotive ability, but there are people here - I don't want to tip anyone off, but I understand that one of them uses the eighteenth letter of the alphabet to strong effect - that think he's the second coming of Billy Eckstine.

we are talking about the sound of the voice, not the fact that he was damaging it (which is a shame indeed). The sound, just the sound, sexyness and emotion in his voice, that's it. No technical abilities, nothing else than the pure sound....

Agreed.

It's like the aging football running back who is still a good-but-not-great player who says they understand the game better now and run more intelligently to avoid injuries, etc. I want to see the guy selling out, putting his head down and hitting the hole with everything he's got.

Analyze it until the cows come home, but Paris 87 Bono and UV 1983 Bono just sounds better than what we get now.

Bono's voice sounded MUCH better, cooler, sexier, more rock'n'roll, more authoritative, in the late 80s.

His apologists can go on all they want about how it's "technically" better now (when did this ever matter in rock music?), but IT JUST DOESN'T SOUND AS GOOD. The strangled puppy yelps off the top of "Moment of Surrender" and the absurd falsetto in "Crazy Tonight" are the first times I have ever laughed out loud at Bono's studio vocals.

Nobody's denying he had a stronger voice. That's not the issue. The issue is the technical side of it, and being a better singer for it. Whichever of the two *sounds* better is also not the issue.

Technical side should matter. In fact it clearly does matter for him. It's why he's still around (who knew, after Elevation/Popmart?), why he's better now than 2001 and 1997, and with any luck he'd be around this level for a few more years. As opposed to non-technical years that almost ruined his voice (certainly the tone), first after Lovetown and then the gigantic drop after Zoo TV. And of course smoking was yet another great idea...

Crazy tonight falsetto is embarassing, but MOS is one of the best studio vocals he's ever done.

Nobody's denying he had a stronger voice. That's not the issue. The issue is the technical side of it, and being a better singer for it. Whichever of the two *sounds* better is also not the issue.

Technical side should matter. In fact it clearly does matter for him. It's why he's still around (who knew, after Elevation/Popmart?), why he's better now than 2001 and 1997, and with any luck he'd be around this level for a few more years. As opposed to non-technical years that almost ruined his voice (certainly the tone), first after Lovetown and then the gigantic drop after Zoo TV. And of course smoking was yet another great idea...

Crazy tonight falsetto is embarassing, but MOS is one of the best studio vocals he's ever done.

See this is why "how it sounds" is not only AN issue, it's really the ONLY issue.

To you, one of the best.

To the previous poster - embarrassing

You're both right by the way.

How it sounds is really the main factor to one's enjoyment of music.

If it's technical proficiency you want then U2 isn't the band for you, there are a myriad of "better" musicians and singers out there.

Somehting that also make him a much bigger singer then in the 80s is that if his was hoarse a night in the 80s he couldnt hit notes at all. But these days if he is a bit rough he still hit the high notes.

The video below is a very good example, he is very hoarse and unstable on this performence but the still able to hit the high note in 3:20 in this clip.

Also that note in 3:20 is more powerfull then most of the 80s notes.

YouTube - U2 - Magnificent Live Fordham University [HD - High Quality] Good Morning America

I agree about MOS being a BIG time good recording of his voice. You know I'm hearing his "shouting" but controlled voice he had back 18-20 years ago and I like it.
However I don't agree us just talking about his technic. The title of the thread is "Bono's vocal range", which doesn't necessary mean technic. I think people here are not talking about the same thing.
Some argue that his technical abilities are better now, some are talking about the pure sound getting out of his mouth, some others about just hitting some particular notes at some moments of a 2 hour-long concert......
Once we all talk about the same thing, maybe we will be able to communicate better as well.

The other thing is that pretty much every performance nowadays is filmed and youtubed, so when I read "note x at 1:27 in this clip from show y in 2009 is better than everything he ever did in the entire 80's and 90's" I have to think:

large-salt-pile.jpg

The other thing is that pretty much every performance nowadays is filmed and youtubed, so when I read "note x at 1:27 in this clip from show y in 2009 is better than everything he ever did in the entire 80's and 90's" I have to think:

large-salt-pile.jpg

I agree in theory, but in reality, we have U2 start. Peterrr, for the first time I can remember in more than 2 years, is getting slammed around to no end for pointing out that people who prefer Bono's 80s voice should just stick to saying that rather than trying to "prove" his voice is not as good today. Peterr is not being subjective, he has pointed out areas where Bono's power AND his lower register has been used in recent years. He also knows and has posted plenty about performances in the 80s, 90s and 00s so its not like he only knows 00s Bono.

I downloaded the show before most of the R&H live was filmed, Denver 11-7-87, and it is a spectacular show. However, he is screaming, especially during Bad, and it just does not sound too good. He actually loses his voice during Pride. I would give anything to hear deep voice Streets again or Exit or IGC, which are all done extremely well in that show, but there are many parts that my throat hurts just listening to it!!

Bad in late 2006 blew every version from the JT tour out of the water!

NYD, JT and Lovetown do not hold a candle to versions from Zoo TV, Pop, Elevation(not Vertigo, those were just ok) and 360!

I think Peter knows some stuff about singing and Bono's voice in particular.

But those of you who want to believe that Bono was a better singer back in the 80s just don't want to accept it.

I listened to the 1987 Paris show yesterday, by accident, because it was played on the radio and I just thought: Oh wow, he was screaming so much, no matter his voice suffered.

I prefer Bono as a singer as he is today becasue I want him to sing and not to scream. I prefer him to have more control over his voice and some technical skills. It's almost painful to me to listen to some of the performances of the 80s because he's screaming so much.

And everyone saying he wasn't straining back then is simply in denial. He was straining so much, it damaged his voice. He just hadn't learned how to sing properly.

The post of the thread right here!!:up::up:

I agree in theory, but in reality, we have U2 start. Peterrr, for the first time I can remember in more than 2 years, is getting slammed around to no end for pointing out that people who prefer Bono's 80s voice should just stick to saying that rather than trying to "prove" his voice is not as good today. Peterr is not being subjective, he has pointed out areas where Bono's power AND his lower register has been used in recent years. He also knows and has posted plenty about performances in the 80s, 90s and 00s so its not like he only knows 00s Bono.

I downloaded the show before most of the R&H live was filmed, Denver 11-7-87, and it is a spectacular show. However, he is screaming, especially during Bad, and it just does not sound too good. He actually loses his voice during Pride. I would give anything to hear deep voice Streets again or Exit or IGC, which are all done extremely well in that show, but there are many parts that my throat hurts just listening to it!!

Bad in late 2006 blew every version from the JT tour out of the water!

NYD, JT and Lovetown do not hold a candle to versions from Zoo TV, Pop, Elevation(not Vertigo, those were just ok) and 360!

We're all entitled to our opinions.

WOWY for example has sucked canal water for years vocally. No, I'm not a self-proclaimed expert on his voice, but it really is very easy to cherry pick shows, make sweeping statements, etc. See, I just did it. Now, maybe someone will convince me I'm full of it and WOWY is being sung "Technically better" than ever, but chances are they won't.

None of this is truly provable, unless we have similar quality recordings from every show. I've heard U2 recording of shows I was actually at where Bono sounds better than what I was hearing at the time, much of that is due to where people are sitting in any given arena.

So, unless the analyses are being done by someone academically qualified who is listening to similarly recorded shows, preferably directly from a soundboard (i.e, untreated in any way) I'm just not buying into it.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but cherry picking shows and comparing bad bootlegs, recordings etc is just no way to "prove" anything imho.

Peace.

Poor Peterrr does get slammed a bit, but I agree with him overall.

Bono's voice had a richness to it, starting near the end of the "War" tour and continuing through Love Town. Trouble is, he also screamed a lot, had vocal problems, resorted to a "Kermit" voice, simply dropped notes completely and missed shows. So when Bono was on, he was great, but there were many glaring weaknesses.

By ZOO TV, some of that richness was gone, but his falsetto was out of this world.

Age, past "transgressions" (parties, smoking, alcohol, strain) and re-training of his voice has allowed for him to now have a technically proper voice, which allows him to still hit high notes, even when he is hoarse, and even operatic notes without sounding like "Kermit". Yet, some of that richness is gone.

Still, when we compare all facets together, these are rather small differences. I don't think it's so "night and day" as some people make it sound. All Peterrr is showing is that Bono still has it - and comparing a 50 year old man rather favorably to himself at 25-29 is impressive. :yes:

Whichever of the two *sounds* better is also not the issue.
What?

I mean, seriously, what?

That's my entire point! I just want him to sound better! He did in the 80s, so that's what I prefer. I don't give a fuck about which version a singing teacher would say is proper. I just want his voice to be as full as possible. And that means the 80s is better.

Whichever of the two *sounds* better is also not the issue.

It's by far the most significant issue regarding the enjoyment of Bono's vocals, unless you perceive music with an organ besides your ears. Most people pull statements about music out of their ass, so maybe there's something to that.

This must be the worst thread Interference has ever generated.

Outside of PLEBA.

Toscano, you're far too sensible and objective to enter into this discussion.

What?

I mean, seriously, what?

That's my entire point! I just want him to sound better! He did in the 80s, so that's what I prefer. I don't give a fuck about which version a singing teacher would say is proper. I just want his voice to be as full as possible. And that means the 80s is better.

I agree completely. Given that one 'listens' to music, the sound of Bono's voice is surely the most important thing. I am not a musical expert- therefore, those who think Bono's technique is better now may well be right, but as far as my listening experience is concerned, technical issues are secondary. Don't get me wrong- I think Bono is still a fine singer but I preferred the sound of his early 90s voice.

I agree about MOS being a BIG time good recording of his voice. You know I'm hearing his "shouting" but controlled voice he had back 18-20 years ago and I like it.
However I don't agree us just talking about his technic. The title of the thread is "Bono's vocal range", which doesn't necessary mean technic. I think people here are not talking about the same thing.
Some argue that his technical abilities are better now, some are talking about the pure sound getting out of his mouth, some others about just hitting some particular notes at some moments of a 2 hour-long concert......
Once we all talk about the same thing, maybe we will be able to communicate better as well.

Vocal range is a technical debate (ie what is his range now ? what was his range before? how do the two compare ? all questions raised in the original post).

Instead the thread entered in a entirely subjective direction about who prefers what. :shrug:

We're all entitled to our opinions.

WOWY for example has sucked canal water for years vocally. No, I'm not a self-proclaimed expert on his voice, but it really is very easy to cherry pick shows, make sweeping statements, etc. See, I just did it. Now, maybe someone will convince me I'm full of it and WOWY is being sung "Technically better" than ever, but chances are they won't.

Of course we are all entitled to our opinions. Whether we prefer 80s or now Bono matters not, the point that Peterr and others are trying to get across is he is different, but objectively, he has not lost it. Me, I can not decide on what era I like better, depends on the day.

I don't think you can find a defense of WOWY as it is sung these days on interference, never mind in this thread. You are picking the weakest example out of all and then accusing the videos of being non representative?? Dubious.

No one has ever mentioned WOWY as proof of Bono being technically better now, it is overall we are talking about. Technical is of course not the main issue, the issue is does he still sound good, is he still unique, can he still hit the notes and portray the emotion? Of course he can. WOWY stands out precisely because it is an exception.

None of this is truly provable, unless we have similar quality recordings from every show. I've heard U2 recording of shows I was actually at where Bono sounds better than what I was hearing at the time, much of that is due to where people are sitting in any given arena.

So, unless the analyses are being done by someone academically qualified who is listening to similarly recorded shows, preferably directly from a soundboard (i.e, untreated in any way) I'm just not buying into it.

Very true, all bootlegs are not created equal, most are crap, etc. We know this. In this day and age, with the status of U2 as a worldwide super act and the technology and fan base, U2 still has plenty of material out there from live performances that is of good enough quality to be able to make some general conclusions on each era. The Pop and Elevation struggles are widely known, as is the resurgence since 2003.

Peterr has an extensive list of voice highlights from Bono these days and they range across multiple songs and multiple shows. He even points out 80s performances to listen to so we can see what he is talking about. He and I agree, the best versions of Bad were in 86 on COH, but JT, LT and Zoo TV/Elevation came nowhere near 5th leg Vertigo renditions of Bad.

Bottom line, the burden of proof is on the people who think the range and ability are gone to show that what Peterr posts is the exception to the rule of crap vocal performances.

The overwhelming consensus from fans and critics who have seen all kinds of different shows this tour is that Bono sounds great.

Does he have his not so great moments, of course, but no one will ever convince me that those are more frequent now than they were at any time in the past.

No disrespect intended to anyone, but cherry picking shows and comparing bad bootlegs, recordings etc is just no way to "prove" anything imho.

Peace.

And no disrespect taken.:wave:

No one is trying to "prove" that Bono is "better" or "worse" today, we all know he is just different. What the videos do, I think, is rebut the people who like to claim it has been a straight path downward since Zoo Tv and that there were no issues in the 80s.

There were issues in each era, and what one ultimately prefers is a matter of personal preference.

Bottom line, eye on the ball, purpose of the thread take away statement is Bono, going by the widely accepted measurements of range, ability to hit notes, etc has lost little or nothing.

Vocal range is a technical debate (ie what is his range now ? what was his range before? how do the two compare ? all questions raised in the original post).

Instead the thread entered in a entirely subjective direction about who prefers what. :shrug:

It had to evolve into a subjective discussion about the tone of his voice because it's patently obvious he doesn't have the same range he used to.
It's like discussing the hair on Edge's head and whether it was fuller now or in 1985. Eventually the conversation would turn to his mustache. :wink:

"range" as defined as a span of notes or "range" as defined as ease of accessibility of those same notes, in either case, it's obvious. It has nothing to do with how it sounds, it has to do with ability and/or ease of ability.

So why would we even be talking about this? Because it's errantly used by people who don't know what they are talking about to defend subjective criticisms against the tone of his voice.

Let's all talk about the insanity of preferring his current voice to the older one.
Entirely subjective, absolutely, but that is where the meat of the discussion would be most interesting. IMO, at least.

Let's all talk about the insanity of preferring his current voice to the older one.
Entirely subjective, absolutely, but that is where the meat of the discussion would be most interesting. IMO, at least.
It's so blatantly obvious. Now I remember why I never post in EYKIW.

It had to evolve into a subjective discussion about the tone of his voice because it's patently obvious he doesn't have the same range he used to.
It's like discussing the hair on Edge's head and whether it was fuller now or in 1985. Eventually the conversation would turn to his mustache. :wink:

"range" as defined as a span of notes or "range" as defined as ease of accessibility of those same notes, in either case, it's obvious. It has nothing to do with how it sounds, it has to do with ability and/or ease of ability.

So why would we even be talking about this? Because it's errantly used by people who don't know what they are talking about to defend subjective criticisms against the tone of his voice.

His voice of course does not sound the exact same.

Some things are going to be different. Some richness/raw power, etc that was there in the 80s is no longer there, see Doctorwho's last post.

However, it has been shown about 1000 times over, until the entire issue is blue in the face, that Bono still has the same or very close to the same range.

If preferring cleanly hit notes on NYD or Bad in 2006 to screaming, audibly straining not fully hit notes in 1987 is insanity, I would confess to being insane any day!! I Will Follow and Out of Control in the late 80s have nothing on the Vertigo tour versions, vocally or otherwise. Yes, NYD and Bad sounded best in 1983 and 1986 respectively. And yes, there are aspects of his 80s voice that I miss now(deep voice Streets, raw 83 NYD) but I am sick to death of people pretending everything about Bono's 80s voice was perfect.

I don't remember any recent shows being postponed or cancelled or struggled through the entire way, with Edge singing the choruses(Popmart) and turned way up in the mix to help out Bono.

I wonder just how many other singers could get out there with Adam, Larry and Edge and give these songs the same meaning that they have when sung by Bono. He is still a unique singer of many unique abilities. Just listen to Mick Jagger try and sing Stuck with him at the Rock Hall anniversary. Does Jagger's voice fit a song like that? Could you ever imagine it doing so? Bono can still sing No Line On The Horizon, Stay, Vertigo, Ultraviolet, UF and YBR and MLK all in the same show. How about Vertigo tour? Electric Co, The Fly, Vertigo, Miss Sarajevo, Sometimes, Running to Standstill, The First Time. The range and diversity of singing ability he shows just in one show is greater than more rock singers than you can count by miles and miles!

I am sick to death of people pretending everything about Bono's 80s voice was perfect.

Er... was there even one post where anybody implied this?

For me, I absolutely love the sound of a singer straining to hit a note. It's an essential part of the visceral strength of rock and roll. It is why I would rather hear John Lennon straining than Pavarotti gliding onto a note and sustaining it after three years of vocal exercises with a voice teacher. (I hate opera, incidentally.)

Anyway, I have nothing against Bono's voice now -- it's really rather excellent for someone his age. He's just older and not as raw now, which isn't to my taste, but there you go. Just taste, nothing more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom