Bono's Facebook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
last week I was driving and I heard on this dj on the radio(star 98.7) play the opening of Beautiful Day, and before the actual lyrics started, he was talking over it, saying "For all you U2 fans out there....Bono just posted a new song on his Facebook. can you believe that? The fact that Bono has a facebook is kinda strange....but yeah, [something i cannot remember]"
I am very skeptical of the validity of that statement, but it didn't sound like a joke. First of all, i'm not sure if he meant 'myspace', because he said 'facebook' multiple times. I can't believe Bono would have his own Myspace, not to mention a Facebook. U2 does have a band myspace, which really bothers me. I still love them, but I just wish they didn't. They have a really cool website, why do they need to submit to peer pressure and conform to Myspace? I mean, it's ok if you're an up and coming band, and you post some of your songs on myspace for other people to hear in hopes of being discovered (a la Colbie Caillat, whom i happen to LOVE), but U2 are already established rock gods, leagues above other bands. it's just so unnecessary. it's obvious that it's not Bono or Edge sitting at a computer or updating via Blackberry, but it still irks me, because they are too cool for that. I hope that whoever (whomever? hahaH) was hired to be in charge of that thing at least put up a good fight and lost valiantly, because who in their right minds would want U2's name to be tarnished by joining the masses on the myspace movement. maybe if they had a cauliflower for a brain. U2 has never been about joining the masses. they are pioneers.
Plus, you can't really add songs on your facebook, and if you somehow managed to, people wouldn't be able to hear it unless they're your friend, as your whole profile cannot be viewed unless you are someone's friend. secondly, i personally know Bono, and that's just not something he would do. (ha, i kid.)

did anyone else hear this? i thought i was going crazy, but a few days later my friend (whom i have not previously talked to about this topic) informs me that she heard from the radio that Bono put a song on his Facebook, and asked me if I knew about it. i laughed.

another friend dared me to add every "bono" that comes up when i search "bono" on facebook just to see what's up.

i searched "bono" and gave up after 4 pages because all the results that came up were people with the last name Bono. really? is your last name really Bono or do you just wish you were married to him?
i then searched "paul hewson", and a lot of people with no network and a question mark as their profile picture came up, so i checked out a few by clicking "view friends", and none of them had friends. LOL. and then i checked the friends of the ones that did have pictures, and they didn't have ANY friends either. no offense, but if you don't have any friends, then what's the point of making a facebook? :D
nofriends.jpg

HHAHAHAH that is such a funny thing to see. "Bono has no friends."
i highly doubt that Bono would make a facebook account under his real name anyway, since nobody calls him that except for his dad.

after about 5 pages and 2 minutes, i gave up and deduced that Bono is a sneaky fox and probably found a way to keep his "facebook" to himself and his prestigious circle of friends only. That, or his facebook is invisible because he used a fake name like Mrs.Harry Bollocks that only his friends would know to search. Man, I want to be his friend.
Friggin DJ on star doesn't know what he's talking about! Better get his facts straight before legions of U2 fans come storming up the studio and demand to know the secret of how to befriend Bono on facebook to hear the song. Don't mess with U2 fans! The only people who can tease U2 fans about new music is U2 themselves.

thoughts? ;]

JCOSTER said:
If Bono did have a page, I really don't think he would put Paul Hewson on it. :huh:

Heh. That was my first thought, too, but I think with Facebook, you have to have a full name - a first and a last name.

But yeah ... "Bono Paul Hewson"? Faker than an eight-dollar bill.

^ LOL WE ALL SHOULD, HAHAHAHAH =)

@ Dorian Gray, you are probably right, now tha ti think about it.
i don't really know what an iLike is, and whether or not it's a real account page or if it's just one of those gimmicks where people make one for an artist, but i do remember Wave of Sorrow being mentioned on there
http://stereogum.com/archives/video/u2-wave-of-sorrow-premieres-on-facebook_007199.html

but that same video also appeared on u2.com.....

@ cinnaminson: HAHAHah =)
"Mr.Harry Bollocks" was Bono's proposed fake name to register in hotels with during the ZooTV tour (or maybe it was another earlier tour, i forgot.), but he never got to use it because Ali refused to be Mrs.Harry Bollocks, hahah. i read it in "U2 at the end of the world". excellent book ;]

Bono wont have a facebook anyway, stuff like that and the Internet goes straight over his head anyway. Edge on the other hand...

Just for the record, facebook has a series of band pages where "exclusive" content is often posted. Typically this content is around a day or two after its made available to the public, and there is no doubt in my mind that these pages are completely unassociated with the bands themselves.

tuwie said:

another friend dared me to add every "bono" that comes up when i search "bono" on facebook just to see what's up.

i searched "bono" and gave up after 4 pages because all the results that came up were people with the last name Bono. really? is your last name really Bono or do you just wish you were married to him?

The family name "Bono", is quite common, especially among Italians. I knew four or five in my neighbourhood alone when I was growing up.

Bono invented the name "Bono." :shrug:

vaz02 said:
Bono wont have a facebook anyway, stuff like that and the Internet goes straight over his head anyway. Edge on the other hand...

Edge has a pimped out MySpace we have no clue about

pretty sure this was on the U2 artist page on facebook, and also pretty sure that it is maintained by someone in the the U2 camp. Groups are one thing, sure, most Groups associated with bands are not necessarily maintained by the band, usually fans. However when you set up a band page (going from memory) I think there is some process and/or agreement that validates whether or not the person setting up the page is with the band. It's either on the facebook side or the iLike side, cant remember which.

So, I think that it's not Bono's personal page.

You guys are still in the teeny bopper phase of facebook use so your thoughts about it are understandable, but it's already been adopted and put to legitimate use by alot of people up here, it's a very effective tool. I don't know why exactly but altho it was created in the US, it seems it 'grew up' faster in Canada. beats myspace by a long shot.

gabrielvox said:
beats myspace by a long shot.

How? I find it to be annoying and not nearly as useful as myspace, now myspace has a lot more douchebags that's for sure, but it's much more communitive and user friendly.

Back
Top Bottom