Bono's 'Arm-thing' is driving me crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partygirl43

Refugee
Ok--there I said it.

It was so noticable on Oprah, and in the pic with President Bush.

Bono is your arm hurt?

Or some weird Nepoleon short guy thing?

I still love you anyway........

partygirl43

It annoyed me too! I thought he was perfect! Crushed hopes...:wink: I think it has to do with the way he carries himself around other peeps. Then again, I noticed today that i do the same thing w/ my arm when I'm wearing a jacket unzipped/unbuttoned. The jacket gets in the way so I keep pushing it over with my arm. :shrug:

btw, I noticed your location says hello Cleveland...is that where you really are? Cos I'm about 40 minutes away. :yes:

Yes.....I'm in Lakewood.

Did you see them here? I waited 8 hours in GA line and made it into the ellispe, right where they did LPOE. It was AWSOME!!!

No, I've never seen them!!!:mad: I kick myself for that every time I listen to an awesome bootleg! I've only been a fan since HTDAAB, and didn't get tix for the Vertigo tour. Next tour, next tour....

Got any pics from the show?

2morrow said:
No, I've never seen them!!!:mad: I kick myself for that every time I listen to an awesome bootleg! I've only been a fan since HTDAAB, and didn't get tix for the Vertigo tour. Next tour, next tour....

Got any pics from the show?

I've only been a fan since "HTDAAB" too! I acutally just bought it earlier this yr. and became a huge fan then. They were here in Detroit last Oct 24th and 25th, but I wasn't a fan then. :sad: I can't frickin' wait for the next tour! God Bless!

^You're in Detroit!? I was born there, and go back a few times a year to visit family.

Seriously, next tour's gonna rock. If they play 2 Cleveland gigs, I'll definitely be @ both. I'd go to any Detroit gigs, too. It's only a 3 1/2 hr drive...:hmm: Now that i think of it, Pittsburg's only 1 hr away. :evil: I'll just be making up for this past tour.

LOL. I think I'll head to Chicago too, since it's only 2 hours away from college. I go to Western in K-Zoo. I'm a freshman..I actually grew up in a suburb about 20 minutes south of D-town..LOL. God Bless!!

I'm a freshman in college, too! I have family in KZoo, don't see them much tho. While Detroit's not the best place in the world, is has a sort of edginess about it.

*edginess* mmmm...:lmao: I. HATE Detroit...there are no venues big enough actually in Detroit, so they come to The Palace in Auburn Hills..u've heard of it I'm assuming?? most ppl have b/c it's where the Pistons play...I hate sports too. LOL

Yep, i've heard of The Palace. Isn't there a venue in Detroit called the Fox theatre, by the tigers stadium? If i recall correctly, U2 played one of their first American gigs there in the very early 80s. The band before them got booed off, but the crowd loved U2! Who wouldn't?:drool:

edginess...heh.

2morrow said:
Yep, i've heard of The Palace. Isn't there a venue in Detroit called the Fox theatre, by the tigers stadium? If i recall correctly, U2 played one of their first American gigs there in the very early 80s. The band before them got booed off, but the crowd loved U2! Who wouldn't?:drool:

edginess...heh.

Yep!! Fox Theatre would be nowhere near big enough for U2 now...but they were there, I think for the tour for WAR. could be wrong about that!

Currently Listening: "Fix You"/Coldplay

Are you talking about how he grasps his jacket when he walks? It's almost like he's trying to hold it shut. But why would he want to do that? :wink:

oooo the jacket thing!:drool: :drool: :drool:

:wave: MORE OHIO FANS!!!! YEY!! I'm 60 miles east of Columbus..Cleveland was my 1st and only U2 concert..It really sucks there is hardly any footage from it...I'd like to chat with you guys more.. cool..

Do you mean this arm pose?

untitled.jpg

normal_Bono_peace_sign.jpg

bonogavin.jpg

01londonbooksigning31.jpg

hahaXDD aww Bono. But I use to hold my arm like that too, but I'm not doing it because Bono is holding his arm like that. It's just some kind of reflex, I guess it is for him too or something haha

This is something I have been wondering about also.
But looking at these and other pictures gives me the impression that it might have nothing to do with his old or any new injury, since it seem to be both arms. Maybe it is just a nervous gesture?

^:Hmm:That's what I suspected...Yeah, I think it's a nervous reflex. Good observatons, peeps.:shifty: Another classic Bono pose is when he bends down/forward while giving the peace sign. He always does that when he's being photographed with a group of people who are taller than him. Hehe...

Hi tanner_sis!:wave: Did you go to the Vertigo Cleveland show? If you're looking for footage from that, someone posted a 13 min. video of it on youtube:yes:.

Last edited:
I know I read something about him hurting that arm recently, but of course now I can't find the reference. I'm 90% sure that he did something to it around the time of the Abbey Road photo shoot.

I thought Bono said that he did it to cover his belly.

And I'm from Ohio too! I live in a small town, Montgomery. Right next to Cincinatti.

2morrow said:
^You're in Detroit!? I was born there, and go back a few times a year to visit family.

Seriously, next tour's gonna rock. If they play 2 Cleveland gigs, I'll definitely be @ both. I'd go to any Detroit gigs, too. It's only a 3 1/2 hr drive...:hmm: Now that i think of it, Pittsburg's only 1 hr away. :evil: I'll just be making up for this past tour.

Do NOT go to the Auburn Hills gigs unless you have seats. Seriously. I went to both b/c it's the closest thing to "home town" U2 for me (West Michigan, even though our metro area is like 1.5 million people they don't play here for whatever reason). Anyway, the Palace is terrible and they treated everyone like shit. These yuppies got to cut in the front of the line even though the first 100 people had waited over night and all morning, in the (literally) freezing cold. The first night, I was walking around the parking lot w/ a camera to take pics w/ friends who were in line and security kept randomly stopping me to yell at me for having a camera, even though I didn't take it into the show. Once you get in the GA door, you have to basically risk your life running this obstacle course to get onto the floor. Their GA rules are really bazzar and they all treat you like you're sub-human. I will never go back there. I'd rather drive farther to Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and even St. Louis where I had much better experiences and security didn't bully people around all day.

Go to Pittsburgh, go to Cleveland. Skip Auburn Hills and go to Chicago or Buffalo instead.

As for Bono holding his arm funny on Oprah, I think he was keeping his coat shut since it was cold and snowing. I dunno about Chicago, but this past week we had wind advisories and it snowed, so I imagine it was just as bad there right on the Lake and they probably weren't expecting it to be that cold. Also, he holds his jacket that way so much, it's probably a sub-conscious habit by now.

^Thanks for the warning, I'll probably just stick to Cleveland, Columbus (if it happens again), and Pittsburg shows now. I thought I heard in an @U2 podcast (October 06) that U2's security staff is known for telling venue security how to treat fans right. The podcast also said that U2 security even holds mini training sessions for cops and security. How much does this go into effect at gigs? Anyone have any good/bad security experiences to share?

Hi joelazar!:wave: Any more Ohio peeps? Let's take over...:evil: Btw, they're supposed to be building an IKEA around the Kettering area, if that means anything to you. Watch out for the opening day traffic.:crazy:

I've never had a problem with U2 security staff, but their staff only follows the band around so they have very little effect on how things go down. The venue staff is responsible for everything that happes with the GA lines, monitoring the venue in general, and standing down on the floor around the stage areas.

In my experience, Chicago is the absolute best venue in terms of how fans are treated. The director of the UC came out and told the patrol cops that we were allowed to camp outside the venue and were not causing trouble. He also unlocked the parking lot so we could use the porta-poties. During the shows, he came on the floor and passed out snacks and water bottles. At one show, there were tons of people trying to cut and push us around. Technically, the venue security does not honor the fans' system for lining up, but it got out of hand and the big guy at the front said if he had to, he would start enforcing our numbers. He said that their security respects the numbering system of the fans and he expects everyone else to have the same respect. Mostly, it's rich yuppies that show up minutes before and start whining because they thought they could cut in front of people who've literally been in line for days.

Auburn Hills was the worst. They did not let people line up until 2pm the day of. Then, they let all these other people cut because one entrance opened slightly before 2 and everyone else who spent the night across the street was lined up waiting at the main entrance as we were told. They don't pay any attention to the numbering system. The first night, I went to the front of the line, OUTSIDE of their little fence, to say hi to people and these guys started yelling and pushing me around. I said "Hey, I'm just talking to friends, I don't even have a number on my hand!" but they threw me away and said I tried to cut. They don't let you use any bathroom, instead they tell you you have to run across this 6 lane highway to find a restaurant. They're constantly yelling at people for no reason, but then ignoring complains when others really are pushing people around and cutting. They have no clue about the policies of the band. For example, like I said they kept harrassing me about the camera until we explained that the band's policy is you can have a non-professional camera on the floor. Then, they decided my camera was too professional looking, even though it's a digital point-and-shoot just like everyone else's (it's a bit larger b/c it has a longer lense). On the floor, they were always scowling and rolling their eyes at people, like we were shit for wanting to see U2 and have a good time. In contrast, we would always make small talk with the floor security in Chicago, and they all seemed to enjoy the shows and weren't bothered by fans.

Pittsburgh was fine with me, but I was one of the first 4 people in line and I heard it got rowdy farther back and they weren't doing anything about it. I think it was a harder venue to monitor b/c it's right downtown so there's a lot of pedestrian traffic and the GA lines are right out there on the sidewalks. Basically, we showed up at 10pm and there was one guy doing the night shift in his booth at the GA entrance. He said we could start the line right there. He even let us order pizza to his booth and use his power to blow up an air mattress. Before bed and at breakfast, he took people in to use the bathroom.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I've never had a problem with U2 security staff, but their staff only follows the band around so they have very little effect on how things go down. The venue staff is responsible for everything that happes with the GA lines, monitoring the venue in general, and standing down on the floor around the stage areas.

In my experience, Chicago is the absolute best venue in terms of how fans are treated. The director of the UC came out and told the patrol cops that we were allowed to camp outside the venue and were not causing trouble. He also unlocked the parking lot so we could use the porta-poties. During the shows, he came on the floor and passed out snacks and water bottles. At one show, there were tons of people trying to cut and push us around. Technically, the venue security does not honor the fans' system for lining up, but it got out of hand and the big guy at the front said if he had to, he would start enforcing our numbers. He said that their security respects the numbering system of the fans and he expects everyone else to have the same respect. Mostly, it's rich yuppies that show up minutes before and start whining because they thought they could cut in front of people who've literally been in line for days.

Auburn Hills was the worst. They did not let people line up until 2pm the day of. Then, they let all these other people cut because one entrance opened slightly before 2 and everyone else who spent the night across the street was lined up waiting at the main entrance as we were told. They don't pay any attention to the numbering system. The first night, I went to the front of the line, OUTSIDE of their little fence, to say hi to people and these guys started yelling and pushing me around. I said "Hey, I'm just talking to friends, I don't even have a number on my hand!" but they threw me away and said I tried to cut. They don't let you use any bathroom, instead they tell you you have to run across this 6 lane highway to find a restaurant. They're constantly yelling at people for no reason, but then ignoring complains when others really are pushing people around and cutting. They have no clue about the policies of the band. For example, like I said they kept harrassing me about the camera until we explained that the band's policy is you can have a non-professional camera on the floor. Then, they decided my camera was too professional looking, even though it's a digital point-and-shoot just like everyone else's (it's a bit larger b/c it has a longer lense). On the floor, they were always scowling and rolling their eyes at people, like we were shit for wanting to see U2 and have a good time. In contrast, we would always make small talk with the floor security in Chicago, and they all seemed to enjoy the shows and weren't bothered by fans.

Pittsburgh was fine with me, but I was one of the first 4 people in line and I heard it got rowdy farther back and they weren't doing anything about it. I think it was a harder venue to monitor b/c it's right downtown so there's a lot of pedestrian traffic and the GA lines are right out there on the sidewalks. Basically, we showed up at 10pm and there was one guy doing the night shift in his booth at the GA entrance. He said we could start the line right there. He even let us order pizza to his booth and use his power to blow up an air mattress. Before bed and at breakfast, he took people in to use the bathroom.

Thanks for the advice Liv! I'm not sure when the next tour will be, but I know they like to hit Detroit in the spring and fall most of the time. If they come around October like they did last year I probably will go to Chicago, b/c as you know I go to Western, so it'll actually be quicker. Even if it's summer, and I'm home I'll probably still go to Chicago and just get some vacation time in too. LOL. God Bless!!

^U2isthebest, you should go to any Cleveland shows! :yes::yes:yes: It would also be awesome to see Miroslava at a Cleveland show. I'd feel like I was meeting a celebrity. :wink:

Anyone go to the Cleveland Vertigo show? How were the fans treated?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom