Bono vs. Lennon/McCartney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is/were the better of the two choices?

• Bono

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • Lennon/McCartney

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yahweh said:
Where did I ever state that U2s music is Gods music? I will say this and you can challenge it if you wish go right ahead,

I stated it. You didn't. And I was kidding. So relax.

Interesting thread. I think it just shows that it's all a matter of personal opinion. Though some are better at giving justifications for their opinions than others :|

ozeeko said:

LOL. You crack me up, mate. You're telling me to get a life? Fair enough. But I'll be the first to say that you should get a fucking CLUE! Now I have seen some idiotic posts on here, and I'm sure I've probably contributed to some, but yours up there takes the cake!

First of all, I wasn't knocking Garbage! I don't know where you got that from. All I did was use your Shirly Manson quote as part of my argument. Nowhere in there did I say Garbage sucks. Hell I even like some of their stuff. There was nothing in my post that alluded to Garbage bashing! Or maybe you just assumed that I dislike them. Remember, to assume makes an ass out of u...and u alone.

Second of all, nothing in my counter-argument was stupid and senseless, and I have no intentions of "getting the castle down", whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean. I argued you point for point, MATE, and instead of retaliating with something useful you opted to throw a hissy fit, all while ignoring everything I said while shooting down my fine points without giving example.

You just keep making these sweeping moronic statements, like "what's good in the 1960's gets bad a couple decades later". What gets bad about it? I don't understand. I don't even think you do.

And let me take your half-baked theory to expose your contradictory nature yet again.

40 was made in in the early 80's. A couple decades have gone by now. Do you still like it? Is 40 still a gread song, or has it been "made bad" now by your standards?

You said one senseable thing in your whole response. And that is that artists can't or won't write songs that another artist has because they are different people and have lived different lives during different periods of time. Obviously this makes sense, but it's really an unneeded observation, because it doens't take a genius to realize that Bono is not John Lennon, and John Lennon was never Bono. But you did pose the question, could The Beatles have written something like 40. And I guess I just made the mistake of taking your question seriously. I really regret it now, but of course you did provide me with the biggest laugh I've had all weekend.

And the laughter came from this crock of a comment:

"Who will remember "Revolver" in the next 100 years? Probably the most passionate by this subject, but not the common listener... "

And you know this, how? Did you jump in your DeLorean and travel forward in time? Not for nothing, but Revolver has been repeatedly cited as one of the top 10 most influential albums of all time, sometimes even taking the top spot. And this is 40 years after it's been released, almost half a century. I'll put money on Revolver still being talked about in the distant future.

Well, I'm not even going try to reply to this, because if I do, this will start to get in the field of the personal attacks. It seems that's what you have been searching since you came in this forum.
Rare is the thread where your opinion equals mine, in fact, I've never seen a thread or a post of your agreeing with mine last post.
The problem is that ou always tried to impose your personal opinion with arrogance and prepotence, well, belonging to the group of those who find themselves portentors of the truth.
I never and I won't shut my mouth up, and I'll argument my opinion against yours everytime that I find it plausible.

You will laugh... but I'm gonna use Shirley Manson's example again: "you've got something to say, you say it to my face and be a man about it". If not... game over, I'm tired of your bitchness against me, it's everytime, looks like persecution, get off!!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're correct.

I just find it very boring, almost without effort.

General comment to everyone: Could we please calm down?

Now, BVS, it's funny that you should mention 'almost without effort'. Yes, it sounds rather effortless. But that only reflects the true genius of Paul McCartney. I don't know how long it took him to write it or how much sweat it costed him, but I do know that the result was a beautiful tune that flows naturally and effortlessly. I cannot think of a single U2 song that flows as elegantly as Blackbird.

U2Man, you're just in a Beatles state of mind today. Maybe tomorrow, you'll be listening to some really pretty U2 song. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
U2Man, you're just in a Beatles state of mind today. Maybe tomorrow, you'll be listening to some really pretty U2 song. :wink:

It's 3.30 at night here, I should go back to bed now. :wink:

You know you agree with me, Zootlesque :wink:

U2Man said:

I don't know how long it took him to write it or how much sweat it costed him, but I do know that the result was a beautiful tune that flows naturally and effortlessly.

I'm glad you like it. It's just one of my least favorite Beatles song.:shrug:

Aygo said:

Well, I'm not even going try to reply to this, because if I do, this will start to get in the field of the personal attacks. It seems that's what you have been searching since you came in this forum.
Rare is the thread where your opinion equals mine, in fact, I've never seen a thread or a post of your agreeing with mine last post.
The problem is that ou always tried to impose your personal opinion with arrogance and prepotence, well, belonging to the group of those who find themselves portentors of the truth.
I never and I won't shut my mouth up, and I'll argument my opinion against yours everytime that I find it plausible.

You will laugh... but I'm gonna use Shirley Manson's example again: "you've got something to say, you say it to my face and be a man about it". If not... game over, I'm tired of your bitchness against me, it's everytime, looks like persecution, get off!!!

You really need to chill out, bud. You're making yourself out to be a victim here when it was you, in fact, who began the personal attacks, telling me to "get a life". And why was I told this? Because I disagreed with you. You can scroll back to our first encounter on this thread to check if you don't believe me. I responded with amusement rather than anger because HEY it's a U2 forum, ok? There's no reason to get all worked up over something meaningless, like my belief that 40 is a simplistic song, or because you think that I think Shirly Mansen is untalented (which is even more ridiculous because I admitted that I liked Garbage, which you chose to ignore). Your problem is you don't defend anything you say. You put it out there, and when someone challenges you you run away or take the "better man" approach, saying "oh I'm not even going to reply to this, blah blah," (but then you go off venting your anger anyway).

Maybe it's just something personal. I mean, it was YOU who made this personal:

"Rare is the thread where your opinion equals mine, in fact, I've never seen a thread or a post of your agreeing with mine last post.
I never and I won't shut my mouth up, and I'll argument my opinion against yours everytime that I find it plausible."

Those are your words up there, not mine. I didn't make this personal, you did.

But I would still like you to explain your two decade theory to me.
You said music from the 60's "gets bad" after a couple decades.

Then I pointed out that "40" is over two decades old.

Does the two decade "getting bad" idea apply here? Or is there a thirty year life for early 80's music?

there's no one more overrated than lennon... except maybe mccartney, or cobain.

i think i just threw up in my mouth.

but octopus's garden is a really neat song!

Why is 40 even being used as a comparison?

It's purely based on Psalm 40, and is not something Bono pulled out of his ass like a rabbit in a top hat.

Songs like Running to Stand Still, Ultra Violet, Please, and Gone are much better examples of Bono's songwriting abilities

(excluding Ultra Violet's chorus of course :wink: )

Last edited:
First of all, there are kinder ways to express a difference of opinion than to resort to being rude:

Axver said:

Anyone basing their opinion of any song on a snippet by another band in another song is crazy and hopelessly misinformed.

ozeeko said:

Everything you have said is utter nonsense.

PlaTheGreat said:
:|
Half of you talk shit out of your ass when it comes to comparing bands like this.

Aygo said:

Ohhh, get a life, dude!

Also, calling anybody a "fag" is just completely inappropriate:

Yahweh said:
Boner is a fag.

This thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom