Bono undergoes emer. surgery -- tour impact forthcoming!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But they know that some people are going to California few days or a few weeks before the show - some like me is also combining U2 concerts with visiting some places - I mean holidays, so why they do not take this into consideration, for me if they want to cancell few dates they should do it know and say that "we cancell this and that, more news soon" I dont understand for what they waiting for, new dates can be known later, most important is now what's going on with this present schedule

Agreed. I think the band understands that many people have made travel plans and would like to inform people ASAP. The medical staff and the band should have a relatively good idea of Bono's prognosis - at least for the next 4 to 8 weeks. They may have to cancel some shows later in the summer if Bono's recovery is slow, but they should have a good idea of his health by now.

And given the size of the show and the delicate issue of back injuries, the band can only cancel shows; it's going to be difficult for them to project when the cancelled shows will be rescheduled.

But they know that some people are going to California few days or a few weeks before the show - some like me is also combining U2 concerts with visiting some places - I mean holidays, so why they do not take this into consideration, for me if they want to cancell few dates they should do it know and say that "we cancell this and that, more news soon" I dont understand for what they waiting for, new dates can be known later, most important is now what's going on with this present schedule

I'm actually in the California group :wink: I still have my flight for next week to Santa Ana (near Anaheim). I was initially pissed, but have since calmed down and tried thinking about things rationally. My guess is that they're trying to best evaluate the situation to see what the minimum number of shows they have to reschedule would be. I don't know much about concert scheduling, but it seems like re-scheduling stadium shows could be quite complex.

Paul, if you had surgery would you want the world to know exactly what kind of procedure it was?

And if you learn early this week you'll have plenty of time to do this. I understand your frustration but you have to be realistic.

They came out and told us the day of, that's actually pretty good for U2. I don't think you grasp the size of these decisions, even if there wasn't "corporate interest" this wouldn't be done already. You have to remember this happen right before a weekend.

OK I get your points and I think they are all reasonable. I don't actually want to know exactly what kind of procedure but what the heck - as I've said several times is it something that they might expect would take weeks, months or just don't know to fix. If they don't know they haven't said so.

It riles me that Live Nation/Ticketmaster continue business as usual without even a SINGLE acknowledgement on their websites of the Bono back situation. I don't think that is right given McGuiness used the word 'dates' when talking about postponement. It is this direct contradiction that I feel they have a duty and responsibility to address now.

Agreed. I think the band understands that many people have made travel plans and would like to inform people ASAP. The medical staff and the band should have a relatively good idea of Bono's prognosis - at least for the next 4 to 8 weeks. They may have to cancel some shows later in the summer if Bono's recovery is slow, but they should have a good idea of his health by now.

And given the size of the show and the delicate issue of back injuries, the band can only cancel shows; it's going to be difficult for them to project when the cancelled shows will be rescheduled.

Canceled isn't the word to use -- try postponed. The band isn't just calling off shows, they're going to do the shows at some point. And given the logistics behind this tour (3 stages leapfrogging cities, needing about a week total to set up, perform, and tear down, etc.), it's no surprise that the band is taking their time before flat out postponing dates.

I think that it's good that nothing besides SLC is postponed, personally. Yes, I feel for those with tix/travel plans to SLC, but at least they didn't go "okay, NA leg is totally off".

I honestly believe that B's 'emergency' was not life-or-death, but mostly an emergency in terms of 'we have to rehearse next week, this can't wait any longer'. So as long as we are patient, and have faith, things will sort themselves out.

Exactly. If they'd known from the start that the entire NA leg was in jeopardy, they'd have just postponed it all.

Not really. Think about what chaos that's going to cause for LiveNation, Ticketmaster, U2.com if they announce cancellation of the whole leg at once.

I think they should at least give us an update on how Bono is doing, because it seems people are more worried about his conditions. And it will be good to dispel rumors such as some of the ones I've seen floating around.

Arrangements about the tour are more tricky. In addition to waiting for the doctors to make their assessment, the U2 camp probably need to review a gazillion contracts (with LiveNation, Ticketmaster, insurance, venues, stage crew union). They'll have to negotiate the best scenarios for everyone involved. That will take time. Last time they didn't let us know about the Jersey 2 date switch until about a month (or 2 weeks?) before the show.

I know some people have made plans to take off work and fly to different cities to see the concert. I'm in that boat too. But if I were coming from overseas, I would be more anxious to hear about the tour as well.

The best I can suggest is make some contingency plans in case the concert you're planning to attend gets canceled. Take this time while waiting for the announcement to find out about your ticket policy, hotel reservation policy, sightseeing alternatives, etc. So you know exactly what you will have to do if they announce your show's no longer a Go.

Canceled isn't the word to use -- try postponed. The band isn't just calling off shows, they're going to do the shows at some point. And given the logistics behind this tour (3 stages leapfrogging cities, needing about a week total to set up, perform, and tear down, etc.), it's no surprise that the band is taking their time before flat out postponing dates.

I think that it's good that nothing besides SLC is postponed, personally. Yes, I feel for those with tix/travel plans to SLC, but at least they didn't go "okay, NA leg is totally off".

I honestly believe that B's 'emergency' was not life-or-death, but mostly an emergency in terms of 'we have to rehearse next week, this can't wait any longer'. So as long as we are patient, and have faith, things will sort themselves out.

This. Postponed is much better than cancelled.

I think SLC wasn't sold out yet, but they shouldn't also leave it in the dust since it was postponed. If they move it to 2011, they could include some more US cities (Hawaii anyone?) along with SLC, but given the fact ticket sales have been slow, we'll see. Just hope we have an announcement soon. If other dates will be postponed, then we'll see. Patience kills sometimes

TicketMaster dropped GA's for Anaheim 2 this morning, so they havent been given the cancel notice yet. Relatively good news.

I wouldn't use that as "news"...the ticket outlets and whatnot are probably still selling tickets in hopes of making money from 'non-refundable processing fees' and the like. And unless they've been given official word from McG or Principle, they'll keep selling tix.

I completely sympathize with everyone traveling from far away to attend some U.S. shows. I was forced to change NZ plans when the 2006 Vertigo Tour was delayed. It's stressful. If you have thousands of dollars tied up in your plans, any piece of information is helpful, if not some relief.

I'm glad I have more options this time as far as the travel goes, but that is largely because I am not traveling overseas to see U2 this time.

If people are anxious to hear more news quickly, consider what they have invested. It's not the same for everyone.

We all want a healthy Bono, but the financial impact of postponed shows is greater for some people than others.

Actually I think for some people it would be better to know that the entire leg is postponed now than travel this weekend only to find out that certain shows are being postponed one at a time within a week of the show.

I don't feel Bono & co. owe me anything at this point but I do feel for those who have to arrange quite extensive travel to attend these shows. I'm pretty lucky that my two shows this leg are 45 mins and 3 hours away, and to be honest a postponement would actually work out better for me in the end b/c of the summer schedule.

Right, I should have said postponed.

But it wouldn't be a first time that the band postponed a significant part of the tour without having any future dates in mind (see Vertigo). When a person's health is involved, it's a little tricky for anyone to project when the person will be fully recovered, especially in the case of a 50-year old man with a back injury. Hopefully, though, that the injury wasn't severe, but Bono having emergency surgery would indicate that it wasn't minor (could any back injury be considered 'minor'?). How severe the injury is remains unknown.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

I'm from Poland, I have my itinerary ready to start to California this Saturday - I'm planning to see U2 in Anaheim ( also I have tickets for SLC show but we know that it's cancelled), but now I don't know what to do, somebody knows when they gonna say sth on u2.com?, why they are not cancelling all the other dates if it's necessary - I dont know why they postponed only SLC concert, why not more if Bono is going to be out for at least 3 weeks as the rumours are, why they are still waiting ?.., I'm waiting, waiting and I don't know what to do....

Nobody knows the plans yet. We are still waiting for official word on Bono's condition and when/if the tour will begin.

Why no word? They will make an announcement once they have the information necessary to make decisions on tour dates.

While we are anxious to know, we need to be patient.

I know it's frustrating waiting for info, but I'm sure the Dr.'s aren't going to rush into any kind of announcement until they know for sure what Bono's condition is. Although I am hoping for a medical miracle, chances are they just don't know yet!

Was it Live Nation that said there was going to be an announcement today?

no one said there would be an announcement today. LiveNation told ME there would be one sometime this week. Everyone else said there would be one when more info became available.

*kicks Dan in the groin and takes his wallet*

this is big problem for me - fly to california 15 h or stay at home in Poland, I dont know what I should do, and of course If I will take a free days from my work now, no chance for more free days from work if u2 will change dates at the last moment.

Lots of people just made that general assumption and probably due do the fact that his surgery was Friday and he would spend the weekend in the hospital before being released to go home. I guess people thought or at least think that today would have been a good day for doctors to make an assessment on his post-surgery healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom