Bono Solo Performance for "So Cruel"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing how something is considered "crap" simply because it isn't full band.
He didn't say that.
Don't go ruining the fun now.

Btw everybody: Edge has a fantastic voice and he could easily do lead vocals. That being said, many of LIB's virtues lie in the full band arrangement, and his solo version isn't much more than interesting.

It's sometimes strange to me how rock fans (and yes, U2 fans among them) consider gargantuan, oversized, bloated stadium rock to be "normal" arrangements and performances, and then consider "acoustic" arrangements to be a weird alternative. For me, it's the complete opposite -- acoustic instruments are 99.9% of music's history, and reveal the song in a purer form than anything with electric/digital amplification. Also, solo performances are obviously a clearer portrait of one musician's vision, which, while not always better, is certainly an enjoyable alternative to a combo's band arrangements. As usual, the point is not to debate what is "better" but rather to appreciate differences.

In Bono's case, however, his guitar playing is consistently poor (I mean consistently since the 80s), and thus his solo performances tend not to be good. Edge's are thus better almost by default. Although, as pointed out, he lacks the vocal dynamics of a lead singer (obviously), he has a wonderful voice for individual performances.

He didn't say that.
Misquoting me is a regular pass-time on this forum, usually for people making futile attempts to win pointless arguments.

By the way, Vlaco, if that's you, you bear an uncanny resemblance to one of my friends, who got married in Guatemala two weeks ago.

Misquoting me is a regular pass-time on this forum, usually for people making futile attempts to win pointless arguments.

By the way, Vlaco, if that's you, you bear an uncanny resemblance to one of my friends, who got married in Guatemala two weeks ago.

That's me indeed. Congratulations with your friend!

i guess there's a reason why Bono's the singer in the band and The Edge the guitarist... :sexywink:

the best live version of So Cruel is from the rehearsals in Hershey back in 92, full band mode.

the best live version of Love Is Blindness is on almost any given Zoo Tv concert (give or take the first US leg, where everything was more or less still in their infant stages)

GirlsAloudFan said:
That's fucking great. Wish it had been the whole song from start to finish. One of his best lyrics, ever.

The way he draws out and delivers the word "cruel" at the end of the chorus turns the song into some sort of "Visions of Johanna"-esque Bob Dylan twisted love song. Definitely channeling Dylan there.

Great call, I picked up on that too.

Really like both. I mean, Bono's peformance is objectively awful, but his voice sounds great right now. Edge's performance is awesome from start to finish. The comments about his voice being too weak are a mile off the mark. LIB isn't exactly a bombastic rocker anyway...

I love full band versions, but I'm also able to enjoy the stripped down versions.

I must say I enjoy Bono's version of "So cruel" more than Edge's version of LIB. Bono's phrasing and singing is great, even though (or because?) he improvises a lot. It's an interesting version. However, I would also love to have more full band versions of more AB songs as bonus material, but I'm happy with everything they give us as extra.

Edge's version of LIB is moving, but he just doesn't have a great singing voice, sorry to say. It becomes clear why Bono is the singer in the band and Edge is only doing background vocals. I've never been a big fan of Edge's singing but I think he's perfeclty harmonising with Bono, like in the Clinton concert that took place a while ago. As a solo or lead singer, Edge just doesn't have what it takes. Bono does, of course, because he has all the experience. Still, interesting, to hear Edge's version of that song, it's a totally different take than on the original.

Bono's not a good guitar player and Edge isn't a very good solo singer. Hearing them do these solo versions makes me realise why they are in the band and why the four of them need each other.

:up:

Let's see if they decide to post The Fly as well.

That's fucking great. Wish it had been the whole song from start to finish. One of his best lyrics, ever.

The way he draws out and delivers the word "cruel" at the end of the chorus turns the song into some sort of "Visions of Johanna"-esque Bob Dylan twisted love song. Definitely channeling Dylan there.

Bono does seem to be a fan of the song. This is a poster I have:

inspirationposterbonodylan.jpg

I could have done without the chair-kick and the dramatic walkabout, but it's a nice performance of 'The Fly', which works rather well in this folk-blues kind of style. Was there was some sort of effect on his voice, though? It didn't seem quite like it was live...

Shame, shame, shame to those who claim Edge's voice is lacking....his playing, writing and backing vocals, are what MAKES this band. Bono has a great voice and on-stage charism, but Edge could be the lead singer of virtually any band in the world and they would be improved over who they have.
Sorry- can't sit in the background when Edge is slagged like that.

Shame, shame, shame to those who claim Edge's voice is lacking....his playing, writing and backing vocals, are what MAKES this band.

I haven't heard anyone here complain about his playing, writing or backing vocals. :huh:

Bono has a great voice and on-stage charism, but Edge could be the lead singer of virtually any band in the world and they would be improved over who they have.

Well, okay, that's your opinion. A rather unusual opinion if you ask me (I have a hard time seeing that for example Metallica-fans would approve of Edge's sweet vocals as lead on their tracks), but if you think so, then okay.

Sorry- can't sit in the background when Edge is slagged like that.

Slagged? If anything, we've praised The Edge for his vocals because they work so well as background vocals. Do we have to worship everything he does to make sure we don't "slag" him? :scratch:

Slagged? If anything, we've praised The Edge for his vocals because they work so well as background vocals. Do we have to worship everything he does to make sure we don't "slag" him? :scratch:

Yes. Otherwise you have to hand in your fan card.

I like Edge's voice. A lot. Love VDL and Numb and the acoustic LIB, but really. An entire album of songs by his vocals? When you have a man like Bono in your band? No thanks. An ocasional song is nice, but Bono clearly has the better pipes for the main vocal. Edge is a great backing singer.

last unicorn said:
He didn't say that.

If Last Unicorn's comment was directed toward me, I thank you for your support Vlaco. I didn't say that. I'm not judging the song simply because it's not full band.

I felt Bono's version was lacking some "oomph" that the full band gives. The song needs that power that an acoustic version doesn't deliver. An acoustic performance could work, I just don't feel this was it.

And sorry Edge lovers', I do not think his vocals are that strong. Edge is an outstanding back-up singer. I will agree that compared to many rock lead singers, Edge is fantastic. But this speaks more about how terrible some singers are (looking your way, Chris Martin). The Bono/Edge combo rocks.

Ultimately, perhaps U2Girl is correct in that these two songs just don't lend themselves well to an acoustic setting. That said, I appreciate the effort and the alternate version.

If Last Unicorn's comment was directed toward me, I thank you for your support Vlaco. I didn't say that. I'm not judging the song simply because it's not full band.

I felt Bono's version was lacking some "oomph" that the full band gives. The song needs that power that an acoustic version doesn't deliver. An acoustic performance could work, I just don't feel this was it.

And sorry Edge lovers', I do not think his vocals are that strong. Edge is an outstanding back-up singer. I will agree that compared to many rock lead singers, Edge is fantastic. But this speaks more about how terrible some singers are (looking your way, Chris Martin). The Bono/Edge combo rocks.

Ultimately, perhaps U2Girl is correct in that these two songs just don't lend themselves well to an acoustic setting. That said, I appreciate the effort and the alternate version.
No problems. Good post:up:

Shame, shame, shame to those who claim Edge's voice is lacking....his playing, writing and backing vocals, are what MAKES this band.

Who has slagged Edge for playing, writing and backing vocals? :huh:

Yes, he's a very good background singer. Background. But he isn't a good solo or lead singer. No one is slagging Edge by saying that. People say Bono isn't a good guitar player as well and I agree though I love Bono, and I love Edge as well. No need to be ashamed for any opinion. The bandmembers themselves say they depend on each other because each of them have flaws when it comes to musical abilities.

Edge doesn't have a strong voice, but he's always melodically sound. And for a slow-burner like Love Is Blindness, his approach is perfect.

Edge has a good voice, but I would never want him as a full time lead singer. His voice is a little too thin and high pitched for my liking. His voice is perfect for what he does...

I don't think it's a question of being full band or solo. "So Cruel" is one of my least studio U2 tracks, because I don't find it dynamic at all, instrumentally, it feels that the song doesn't take me anywhere.
But, again, I don't think it's a question of being solo or full band. I think the problem is Bono and his simple guitar playing. Imagine a version of "So Cruel" played by The Edge with the sort of guitarplaying he uses at the beggining of the acoustic SYCMIOYO. Wouldn't it be much better?

Back
Top Bottom