Bono Singing To Track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
of course they use backing tracks, are you that naive to think that all that sound can come from three guys playing, and one guy singing, they want to keep the "feeling" of just them on stage, but of course alot of their songs are to complex for just the four of them to pound out and keep all their layers, I'd rather have U2 with just the four of them on stage with some help from backstage rather then some goof playing some looped sound effect standing on the corner of the stage, vissually it doesn't add anything to the concert but definately would take away from it.

Agree with above post. U2's backing tracks and riffs are not apparent or varied enough to warrant putting the backing musicians on-stage.

This isn't the same as a Stones show from the last Licks tour, where you had 4 or 6 minute jam sessions in the middle of Midnight Rambler with everyone getting a little solo or everything. U2 concerts are very tightly orchestrated affairs with a lot of backing, but the backing is fairly simplistic.

It wouldn't suprise me if the synth strings for One are on two parts, they loop the intro indefinetly until Bono stops talking, then switch it over to the second part which is the rest of the song. It's all synched with the click track the band is playing to, so whenever the tech hits the button to go to the next loop then it switches over and runs a new melody on the next "click".

PowerSurge said:
BONO = BRITNEY?????

I'm getting a pleasant yet disturbing feeling in my pants....

I think I need to go lie down for a bit. :eyebrow: :huh:
Hands where I can see them :| :eyebrow:

chadmac81 said:
I swear i saw him back away from the mic at one point and still heard his voice

which song and during what show? the same one the original poster's talking about?

sometimes edge sings for bono or throws in a part and they tend to sound A LOT alike. in an uncanny way at times. its been mistaken as bono a few times before.

if this is the may 12th show, i just listened to it and dont hear anything of the sort mentioned. sounds a slightly bit different before he gets fully into the song line, but just positioning along the mic... no two voices or anything. lol.

Wow... lets just clear this up for you guys... canadiens1160 is the only other person who has any idea what is going on here...

Rather than a few guitar parts here, a few keyboards there, a few vocal harmonys here...etc... the reality is that U2 plays about half of their set to a click track (like a metronome). This means that there is a backing track going throughout the WHOLE song. However, it is not often very audible except for in certain parts.

The most backing track-heavy song of this tour is probably Miracle Drug. You will notice that if you listen to the San Diego bootlegs the band is having a hell of a time staying in time with the backing track. Like canadiens1160 said, as the band reaches different parts of the song, the techs will start new programs so that they can try to stay in time as close as possible. So, for Miracle Drug, I would assume there are 5 or 6 different backing tracks that start up at different times during the song. HOWEVER, U2 may just use one backing track which plays for the whole song, in time with the click... this is why the band needs to stay in time.

I assume that Larry, Adam and The Edge all have the 'click' playing in their earpiece at the start of any song that uses a backing track. After the song has started, The Edge's click, and maybe Adam's as well, goes away or turns down. Larry is always playing to a click for songs with backing tracks. Im pretty sure this is why The Edge isn't all over the place as much as he would maybe like to be... with all his different effects and backing tracks and what not, he needs to keep shit organized...

I think it is fair to say that Bono does not listen to a click in his earpiece...

As for some more specific stuff:
Beautiful Day has plenty of vocal backing tracks, but the Edge is singing as well...
There are very few Bono backing tracks... during the Elevation tour I think he had them for the OOOs in elevation and there was some pre recorded bonos in the backgroud for beautiful day, no words though, just aahhhs and stuff... I haven't noticed any bono backing tracks so far this tour...

I hope this clears up some stuff for you guys... if you have any more technical questions I can probably answer them... I have played in bands with and without backing tracks...

how can you tell they're using a click track? how can you tell? you cant hear whats going on in their earpieces...

also, isnt bono sometimes known for ripping the earpieces out of his ear it pisses him off sometimes and not able to hear himself and shit like that? lol. thats proof right there that he doesnt do that backing stuff normally.

this is the may 12th show... right?

its kinda obvious to tell whats pre-recorded and not. just by using your ears. it wont sound like its naturally coming out of the mic really. or so ive found in my experience. but it depends on the band. now who knows.. maybe bono has someone under the stage doing live vocals.. who sounds a lot like him for when he's having a problem or to keep him on track or to keep him sounding more solid vocally. then again, thatd be too weird... and there'd be too many mistakes...

so, theres a lot of you who have heard his voice directly in front of them while hes leaning in on the crowd before it hits the PA?
actual 'singing'? or shouts or something.

gorman said:
I keep listening to that part, but I'm still not hearing any vocal overlap. I promise you though, he's not singing over a backing track. I was in the very front of the bomb shelter for two shows, and several times, when Bono would sing loudly and was leaning towards the crowd, I could actually hear the vocals directly from his mouth. Plus, he's always changing up his delivery and timing. There's just no way a backing track would ever work for him. Regardless, he doesn't need it :)

he was actually 'singing'? or just shouting out or something?

damn you lucky front row people. :( :sad:

anyways, i thought it was impossible to hear the vocals before they hit the PA like that. is that true? which doesnt make sense to me.

You absolutely can hear it if you're close enough to Bono... Not for whole songs or anything, but just the louder parts requiring more lung power...

Miroslava said:
You absolutely can hear it if you're close enough to Bono... Not for whole songs or anything, but just the louder parts requiring more lung power...

could you give an example (or song part) of some like this? would it be entire lines?

Well, due to the insane volume in the arena, you can imagine it's hard to hear anything directly from Bono's mouth. Hell, it's hard to hear the person standing next to you. However, when I was that close, on songs that required Bono to sing louder, I could hear him singing (not shouting/talking/whatever) quite a few times actually. For instance, during SBS, when he was near me, I could hear him pretty much the entire time.

Believe me, when you hear Bono singing in a live setting, he's singing live. That's most definitely true for this tour. Besides, just compare one bootleg to another. You can easily spot differences in the vocals from night to night... to night. I can't believe this is even an issue :)

gorman said:
Well, due to the insane volume in the arena, you can imagine it's hard to hear anything directly from Bono's mouth. Hell, it's hard to hear the person standing next to you. However, when I was that close, on songs that required Bono to sing louder, I could hear him singing (not shouting/talking/whatever) quite a few times actually. For instance, during SBS, when he was near me, I could hear him pretty much the entire time.

Believe me, when you hear Bono singing in a live setting, he's singing live. That's most definitely true for this tour. Besides, just compare one bootleg to another. You can easily spot differences in the vocals from night to night... to night. I can't believe this is even an issue :)

LOL, now people are gonna start thinking "well, maybe they pre-record something live before each show to make it sound different.." or "thats not really bono at all singing, its some dude under the stage". lol.

but yeah.. bono's got a good set of lungs on him, thats for sure. in a smaller setting he might not even need a mic for some songs i'd think. lol. thats a good thing!

There is no way bono could have a backing track or somebody under the stage singing with him - how often can you honestly say he has all the words correct and all the entrys bang in place? so much of bono is improvised - the worlds gratest singer couldn't match him.. and that quick

I was at both East Rutherford shows and on the first night during Miracle Drug Bono had the mic down by his side at one point, yet he appeared to be singing. I quickly looked over to The Edge, who I was right in front of, and he WAS NOT singing at all.......What the hell?:eyebrow:

mattgerth said:
I was at both East Rutherford shows and on the first night during Miracle Drug Bono had the mic down by his side at one point, yet he appeared to be singing. I quickly looked over to The Edge, who I was right in front of, and he WAS NOT singing at all.......What the hell?:eyebrow:
edge DOES sing that, its fact i really dont know what you seen, but he DOES sing it

MattFromNYC said:
how can you tell they're using a click track? how can you tell? you cant hear whats going on in their earpieces...

also, isnt bono sometimes known for ripping the earpieces out of his ear it pisses him off sometimes and not able to hear himself and shit like that? lol. thats proof right there that he doesnt do that backing stuff normally.

thats why i said bono doesnt listen to a click track...

and one more thing... there is no way bono has a backing vocal track... like others were saying... he sings his shit different every night...

KUEFC09U2 said:
edge DOES sing that, its fact i really dont know what you seen, but he DOES sing it

He wasn't singing live that night! I wasn't the only one who saw it that night. My brother and I looked right at each other when it happened and said what the F!@# at the same time. Felt like a kid who had his candy taken away from him, and got that sick feeling in my stomach. I hope there is a legitamate explanation for this.:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom