bono appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
well, it's the last day of the year and what would be more appropriate than celebrating it by appreciating our beloved front man? yes, he has a big ego. yes, he sometimes makes bad decisions that some of disagree with. yes, he can be a hypocrit. yes, he should just shut up sometimes. yes, he should use kneel and feel less in his lyrics.

but at the end of the day, i think we all post here, because we love him, regardless of all the bad things we have to say about him and his actions now and then. nobody's perfect, and there are a lot more positive than negative things to say about bono.

show some appreciation for bono :up:

here's what urban dictionary has to say about him:

Bono:

The vocalist and sometimes guitarist of the Irish rock group U2

a beyond talented musician who uses his gift of gab to encourage people to help each other

trying to drop the debt, and trying to get african aids victims better mdeication

Lead singer of U2. Some people would elaborate on this statement with a "Bono is an arrogant self righteous, big headed, smug arse- and he proves this by helping out third world countries..."

Hm...somehow that statement seems to be contradicting itself a little. Bono is a little lime light hogging at times sure, but he's a performer- obviously he'd be a pretty crap show man if he hated the attention.

Think about it- He is Bono- if he wanted ego gratification then he could just put on a spontaneous U2 concert and see how many people showed up and yelled themselves hoarse for him and the band. He does charity work because he actually cares about it- if he gets a heckalot of publicity for it than hm...I dont know...it might have something to do with him also being the front man of a huge rock band. Besides the publicity helps the charity. I'm sure the people whos lives have been saved due to Bonos work dont really care about his motives anyhow.

To people who have made a statement similar to "I hate Bono because of his ego boosting charity work." I pose the question- Have you done better?

Bono deserves the praise he gets for his work in third world countries.

also known as "God". He's the lead singer of the best band in the world (U2), an activist with a great heart, and an advocate for justice.

The most fantastic man alive, and lead singer in the mind-blowingly beautiful band U2. A musical genius and a humanitarian. He has numerous groupies, including God. He is also my soulmate.

A great frontman, an even better person. Is using his fame to fame to denounce violence in Ireland, help the ailing African nations, among other worthy causes. A smart person with a big heart, in short.

Bono shared Time's Person of the Year.

When Bono said "Unos, dos, tres, catorce" he was reffering to a verse in the Bible, and also hinting that How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is U2's 14th album.

Wannabe American, Irish narcissist, who reckons he has a God given right to preach at politicians about what's wrong with the world while hoarding his own obscene wealth where taxes can't touch him. Still peddles his bland, pompous, corporate music around the world, charging $100 a ticket so people can watch him disappear further up his own arse.

Bono is a smug, self-righteous, wanker.

A Bland irish Musician in the band U2, who helps third world countries, yet also stars in apple ads, to help just make that trade margin between the rich countries and the poor countries just that little bit larger, but dispite that little minor hypocrisy there, bono has daft looking glasses,is incredibly pietistical and writes not necessarly talentless music, but has the keen ability to write the same song, over and over again, and Just for anyone goes "your stupid bono isn't self rightous....", and i quote from the golden oldy of a rocker, "I don't know why, but we always had this belief that there was something sacred about our music, that it was almost holy.".

Bonehead more like. A talentless dwarf irish schlock rock singer who's been releasing the same overblown pompous wank rock song over and over again since 1980. A man who's level of understanding of geopolitics is around GCSE level but who insists on lecturing us all on how to save the world. A prick who goes on about 3rd world poverty all the time yet is strangely silent when it comes to really political issues like Iraq. In fact, worse than that, the little twat sucks around Tony Blair (the man responsible for hundreds of thousand of deaths in the middle east), has photo opportunities hugging the cunt and tells us all to vote for him! He even donates his crappy 'beautiful day' song for cunt Blair to use as his election theme. Oh yes Bonehead, I bet its a beautiful day in Iraq you fake little fuckwitted douchebag. In fact it gets worse, the horrible ugly sunglassed asswipe organises 'Live 8' with his arselicker-in-chief Bob Geldof to 'make poverty history' (I can really see that working - watching a bunch of over the hill has-beens flogging their latest album is really gonna make a difference to starving children in Africa) but really to drag up a bunch of his corpse mates from the 80's and flog a few albums. Then all the performers and their entourages who are all supposed to be doing this for charity (about 300 people altogether) get a £5000 goodie bag (containing Ipods, chanel perfume etc) to take home with them as a thank you! (Laughable. You couldn't make this stuff up. He then makes it a condition of the gig that (because war criminal Blair is his mate) no performers are allowed to mention Iraq, Afghanistan or Bush and Blair. What a horrible, hypocritical little wanker. 'In the name of love' my fucking arse. In the name of money more like. Fuck off and die in Mortal Kombat style pain you smug twat!

Bono? Isn't he that shortarsed little twat who's always lecturing us on how to save the world? The talentless, phoney, fuckwitted cunt.

A smug, self-righteous, Irish, hypocritical asshole. Whinges that the government doesn't spend any money to give aid to starving African kids, while eating caviar and flying in his private jet around the world to make millions of dollars by performing shitty music to stupid teenagers. Believes that his music will be remembered for a hundred years. Asshole.

"I think my music will be remembered a hundred years" - Bono.

:hmm:

What a great thread :up: We might all moan, and criticize everything does.. but there really is only one bono, and we'd miss him if he was gone. :love: bono

:ohmy: some people can be so hateful! i'd like to see their alternatives (and their efforts to actually act out on them) to assisting developing nations. anyway at least this proves that he has definitely helped to bring poverty and AIDS to the forefront. I'm not saying others don't, but so many people equate him for that role. Whether people agree with him or not, at least they are talking about it.

also, it seems as though some people are confusing Bono for U2, especially when they talk about the band avoiding taxes. :tsk:

Anyway, Bono is awesome. He is a brilliant artist, and an open-minded and passionate human being. Nobody is perfect, and thats why he is a hero in my book. Anyone who can embrace his/her own contradictions because he/she knows it is part of who he/she is, has a much higher knowing of self than others.

This man will dine with the devil just to remain loyal to his causes and help the people of Africa. He has appeared on Bill O'Reilly and met with Bush many times...something I admit I'm too prideful to do myself, despite how committed I am to my causes. He doesn't have to drink awesome juice, he was born that way.

Much respect.

Bono made me discover Norwegian Wood , be addicted in play it and love it :wink:

He's not perfect, he's almost annoying sometimes, but he's our Bono... and he's one of the members of one of my top 10 bands so he has my admiration and praise by default.

I'm also proud of his non-music work... although the music is still why I admire him the most.

partygirlvox said:
We might all moan, and criticize everything does.. but there really is only one bono, and we'd miss him if he was gone.

so true... :yes:

:love: Bono :love:

I love love love and adore him!!!! :heart: :bow: :applaud: :rockon:

Plus he's the sexiest thing EVER!!!! :kiss: :combust:

U2Man said:
here's what urban dictionary has to say about him:

Bono:

also known as "God".

:drool: 100%truth...

:wink:

People shall always moan about what he does, but if you look trough the arguments, they're nothing.... it's really sad that little unknown attentionwhores need to take a hit at a famour person who's actually doing something just for their own satisfaction...

I've learnt to live with the insults my 'friends' always call him whenever the conversation moves to Bono (and no, it ain't me going to that topic again, it's THEM!) you just can't do anything about it.... and it's not my loss :shrug:

At the lowest point of my life, when I didn't believe in anything, especially love, and was so numb that even watching that starving child try so valiantly to stand up. Bono pulled a girl out of the crowd and put his arms around her and made me believe that unconditional love existed in this world. It was as if I could feel his arms around me. He knew no more about that girl than he did of me but he gave the sense that for that moment she was loved and cherished and by extension people watching felt the same. At that moment during Live Aid Bono threw his arms around the world and gave himself completely and unreservedly. That moment changed my life. It didn't happen overnight and I blocked it out of my mind for the most part and I also practically avoided becoming a U2 fan I believe now that it was because I couldn't bear for that moment to be tarnished. But after that day I started looking forward and I believed myself to be a worthwhile person and slowly I was able to change my life.

In 2005 I rediscovered U2 and Bono. I've read everything I could get my hands on about them and discovered that I needn't have worried about tarnishing that moment because they are so real it hurts. I realize that I couldn't handle being a fan before now because when I watch Bono's performances I see how open and exposed he is and it is almost painful. I didn't have the emotional strength back then to watch someone open themselves up like that. I think many of those who are negative about Bono can't bring themselves to believe he is real because it would be too painful to them.

No, Bono isn't perfect. He makes mistakes, does and says embarassing things, annoys the hell out of people at times. But he is always real in his heart. And that shows through even when he is playing the Rock God. I remember reading an article that came out during ZOOTV where the journalist had interviewed Bono in a hotel bar and Bono was telling him he was taking Bastard lessons, and learning how to lie and basically trying to convince this journalist that he was your typical egocentric Rock Star but throughout the whole thing a female fan kept coming up and trying to get Bono to dance with her. The journalist talked about how Bono kept politely trying to get rid of her but eventually gave up and went off to dance with her apologizing to the reporter for the interuption. The report figured Bono failed the bastard lessons completely and would never convince anyone that he's a bad ass. For those who have eyes to see Bono's true nature always shines through. It is refreshing to see a nice guy finishing first for a change.

Thank you Bono for saving my life.

Dana

I'm not very fond of Bono. Someone make an Edge appreciation thread.

Oh look another PLEBA topic

grumpyrockon.gif

Bono is a great and the most inspirational person on the planet. And I don't consider just his charity work and stuff. He has this positive attitude towards everything. His solution is love. He made me believe that there is always a solution, the thing is not to give up, you can do it... I've 'discovered' him at the best time I could in my life, 'cause if I didn't I'm sure I wouldn't be here anymore. I've been in real shit before but then he showed me there is light in the dark. I started again and now I'm glad I did. U2's music and Bono's lyrics were like a cure to me.
IMO he's the greatest musician and writes the most beautiful lyrics. Plus he has great sense of humor and is not afraid to make fun of himself. :cute:

...and that voice :faint: :combust:

susanp6 said:

Plus he's the sexiest thing EVER!!!! :kiss: :combust:

:yes: so true :drool:

Being a Green Day fan as well, I've seen some of the worst (in my opinion) when it comes to people ragging all over Bono. Horrible "pet names" and overall bad mouthing. Most of them tend to think he's stuck up, or he's a hypocrite or he loves himself too much...

And to an extent, he is a little bit of each, but that's only human, everyone has those moments at some point or another. In regards to being a limelight hog, of course he can be at times, most lead men are and like said above, if you didn't like the attention why would you do it? You probably wouldn't. A lot of my friends are fellow Green Day fans as well and they like to have goes at me for liking Bono sometimes, whether it's making fun of him to my face to get a rise out of me because I defend him or just "teasing" me about how I love and respect him. None of them like him and I take a lot of crap for it, but I refuse to conform with them and just rag all over him because they do. I won't because I've liked him longer than I've known any of them and because he is what I call an example of something the world needs.

I feel like a lot of people don't understand him and that's why they feel the need to just pick at him and say horrible things about him. It's known that people will in fact insult what they don't understand and that is common knowledge. It's kind of like they don't understand why he does this, or why he does that. He does the things he does because he wants to. Not because someone is forcing him or because he might be somehow benefiting from it. He gets joy out of helping others and that is something I believe the world could use more of. People like him.

He is a wonderful and talented musician, the lyrics are absolutely wonderful and I find that I can relate to them in a lot of instances. When I'm down or in a real life rut, listening to him and thinking what he would do, gives me the strength to keep going. The kind and caring person he is, shows me, when I failed to believe that anyone was true, that there are still caring and loving people in the world. That you can't just shut yourself away from the rest of the world because the paranoia of being stabbed in the back or betrayed is lurking to get you again. I am one of those people, I've been betrayed so many times this last year that I've lost who I was. I lost the ability to trust and the ability to actually let anyone in anymore...
And it's sad really, to be forced into that sort of behavior. Sad not to be able to trust anyone, to have that constant nagging fear that even your true friends aren't true and that they are plotting against you and it's most definitely a shame when you aren't able to open up to anyone truthfully because of it.

I rediscovered U2 earlier this year and since, listening to their music, has been giving me strength and confidence that maybe I can actually be the person I was before, the person everyone loved. Just thinking things like "Well, what would Bono do?" or other things like "If he could see me right now, what would he say?" Just pondering the advice he would likely give is better to me than the advice anyone else has provided me because I feel like his advice can help anyone overcome anything. He's helping me become who I once was, who I miss being and he doesn't even know it.

Thank you Bono for all you do and all that you've helped me out.

- Serena

Last edited:
rihannsu said:
I remember reading an article that came out during ZOOTV where the journalist had interviewed Bono in a hotel bar and Bono was telling him he was taking Bastard lessons, and learning how to lie and basically trying to convince this journalist that he was your typical egocentric Rock Star but throughout the whole thing a female fan kept coming up and trying to get Bono to dance with her. The journalist talked about how Bono kept politely trying to get rid of her but eventually gave up and went off to dance with her apologizing to the reporter for the interuption. The report figured Bono failed the bastard lessons completely and would never convince anyone that he's a bad ass. For those who have eyes to see Bono's true nature always shines through.

Exactly! That's it! Just to pipe in on your wonderful post, for all the negative things people say about him and his ego, it's an act. He is playing a part on the stage, the character of a rock star, complete with the attitude, and as he has said numerous times "never trust a performer", (cowboy)
We know, as his family does, that when he takes off his shades he is just plain Paul complete with all his wonderful faults and humaness. That's why I admire him! He is honest even when he is playing a part...

:drool:

I love that Bono is willing to share with U2 fans very personal
things about his life , feelings , and thoughts, through his lyrics .

I appreciate and am thankful to Bono for more than I can say. He gave me something that I was missing.

thanks for the thread :) Happy New Year

I love Bono's openess and his willingness to give of himself in every way, how he exposes his soul. I love how he is willing to be so very uncool -- it makes him more than cool. I love how brilliant he is in every way.

I am grateful every single day for Bono and all the love he's brought to the world - in his charity work, but most of all for the MUSIC. He brings me to my knees! :bow:

I LOVE BONO! :love: :heart:

:bow:

hey, this isn't supposed to be a pleba thread at all.

it was meant to be a thread for everyone in eykiw that regularly throws shit at bono at every chance they get. cannot believe these people :tsk:

here they could go in and show a little appropriate remorse.

:drunk:

Back
Top Bottom