Blackout and pre-release dramatics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
Hello friends.

I'm excited and intrigued about the Blackout letters.. smells like confidence to me and I'm excited and match fit for our next U2 album.. are you?

I was thinking and remembering tonight being 17 in 1991 and desperately waiting to find out what U2 were doing and when their next record would be out (those lovely pre-internet days).

I was on holiday in France with my family August 1991 and saw an half page in a music/pop magazine with U2 in big letters, a small car at the bottom and the Island Records logo and 'octobre 1991 achtung baby!' in small letters. what the fuck? That was the first wink to The Fly, Achtung Baby, winter silence and who'd have thought it, the Zoo Tv.

So thinking about all this and having had a glass or 2 I went rummaging into my attic and am delighted and fucking alarmed about how much U2 stuff I used to collect HOWEVER I rummaged though these old folders and I found it along with posters and all sorts of things that I haven't seen for 20+ years...

Here's a photo anyway... thanks for letting me get it off my chest x I can't believe what a U2 geek I was this isn't even the half of it :)

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/robsnewlife

Last edited:
Hey, I can't see your pics but I'm of a similar vintage and remember the hype build up to The Fly and AB vividly. It was the first album I had to wait for, having discovered them during R&H. My local indie radio station built the suspense and then played The Fly and my mind was blown. It truly was the JT being cut down!

I'm so damn excited for this new album.

Sadly, I've thrown out / lost a lot of my memorabilia, having moved house and countries numerous times since my teens. I didn't think I'd regret parting with stuff but I do, now.

Last edited:
I'm excited and intrigued about the Blackout letters.. smells like confidence to me and I'm excited and match fit for our next U2 album.. are you?

Very much so.

I thought the whole Blackout letter thing was so cool I was showing coworkers on and off all day.

Always nice to see something fun and creative in marketing. This particular effort to coincide with the eclipse makes it extra special and fun.

Now . . . let's have that album!

I wonder if they got the idea for the letter from Radiohead's 'burn the witch' leaflet they sent out before releasing A Moon Shaped Pool last year?

Back
Top Bottom