Best Song Survivor: Late 1980s Quarterfinal Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• One Tree Hill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Sort of Homecoming

• Bad

• All I Want Is You

• Where the Streets Have No Name

• The Unforgettable Fire

• Running to Stand Still

• With or Without You

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
We chose Spanish Eyes and Love Comes Tumbling in the last round to join A Sort of Homecoming, Pride (In the Name of Love), The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name, With or Without You, Running to Stand Still, One Tree Hill, Hawkmoon 269, Heartland, and All I Want Is You in the late 1980s quarterfinal round. That round begins now. Eight songs will advance from this round to the 1980s semifinal round, as noted in the rules. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest.

If it was purely based on the live version, Hawkmoon would be in my all time top 10, but the studio version, compared to the rest here is quite boring.
269 to go.

I love all of these songs. Spanish Eyes is a big favourite for me, my second favourite JT era track (behind OTH and juuust ahead of Exit), so I voted Hawkmoon to protect it. I probably would've voted Hawkmoon anyway, even though I was chuffed it got through from R&H ... as majestic as the live version is, the studio version isn't perfect. I would've gone with it, RTSS, or Streets.

Seriously, what a fucking good selection of songs - every one of them is exceptional. This list is better than the real Best of 1980-1990, by a hundred bloody miles. Voting will be very hard for me as the finals progress.

Love comes tumbling for me. Though it could've been Spanish Eyes as well.

Edit: I just realised my own sig. Lololol, must save Hawkmoon!

Hawkmoon. All excellent songs. Well done Interference. Sad Exit isn't there, but you can't have it all....

I'll agree with this once Spanish Eyes is out of here. That song is just the same thing looped over and over. Bono sounds like he's trying to cough something up. No, it's not a better song than Hawkmoon.

I agree. It's a good guitar riff, but it quickly becomes repetitive and nothing interesting comes out of it.

Hell no. It's one of Edge's best chiming riffs, it's got a great hook, and rarely has Bono sung a song more passionately. Should've been a single.

Seriously, what a fucking good selection of songs - every one of them is exceptional. This list is better than the real Best of 1980-1990, by a hundred bloody miles. Voting will be very hard for me as the finals progress.

Yeah, absolutely. Good job, Interference. :)

I'm going away for seven days. If RTSS is gone by the time I get back, so help me god, I will go to each and everyone of your houses and burn them down.

Do not disappoint me.

Since Hawkmoon and Spanish Eyes are the same color on my phone, I thought Spanish Eyes was getting destroyed. Now I see its actually very close, which disturbs me. Not even on the same planet- Hawkmoon is 100x better. Spanish Eyes doesn't fit in with the rest of these songs and deserves to go.

I dont get why we have to pit b-sides against massive tracks, but okay.

Re Hawkmoon 269. I think they did a good job on the album, but never seemed to get it up to full potential live. I think they should have brought in the choir and done it justice. It just comes off as filler, and they could have actually turned it into something pretty magical. Some of the lyrics do work well as snippets during other U2 songs, though.

Whereas Spanish Eyes rocked the fuck out, and I'd prefer to hear it live again today than Hawkmoon. I agree with Axver, it's got single written all over it.

So bye-bye Hawkmoon.

And Digitize wtf, the guy chose HEARTLAND for crissakes. HEARTLAND!!! :angry:

And Digitize wtf, the guy chose HEARTLAND for crissakes. HEARTLAND!!! :angry:

Get used to it, man. Heartland ain't lasting too long in this thing. Look at the songs it's up against.

It's a gorgeous tune, but it's going to be difficult for it to advance to whatever the next round is, and if it gets that far it has absolutely no fucking chance of even coming close to winning the whole thing. So you'll have to suck it up at some point. People will eventually be voting against Heartland. A lot of people. Sorry.

With Love Comes Tumbling outlasting Hawkmoon, I think that this is the first time a b-side has survived longer than an album song in a Survivor eighties final (the likes of Lady With the Spinning Head, HMTMKMKM, The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Electrical Storm have obviously done well and outlasted album tracks in nineties/2000s finals).

Fuck, I have no idea what to vote for next round. Like I said before, what an incredible collection of songs.

Back
Top Bottom