Best of 1990-2000 DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Am I the only one to feel a bit disappointed by this? Reasons?

1. The videos. They aren't all there. There are only 2 One videos. And you could at least be nice and give me the other videos from ATYCLB because I highly doubt that you'd put them on your next best of. (That would be just my luck).

2. The live tracks that I was promised from the promo DVD. There's what? Two?? Out of how many live performances U2 will have done?!

3. The interviews. Three documentaries isn't exactly what I was expecting but I accept that was probably my own daft fault.

4. The annoying interface that won't let you do anything for 2 minutes whilst it does its intro sequence. It looks great but after the 3rd time you just think, "I wanna get on with it!"

5. The Directors's Commentaries. Some of them are good but others are awful! Some of them say things like, "and now such-and-such a thing is going to happen" or "This is Bono". I know! You're supposed to be explaining why you decided to film this. Then you've got others who talk over the video about things that aren't in sequence with the video as you watch it (so they're explaining a complex part that doesn't occur for another three minutes which makes it harder than is strictly necessary to understand it). Couldn't they have edited it so it did? I was especially disappointed with the 'Please' video commentary. There's a lot of things in that which he just doesn't explain. The random people who are supposed to represent a cross-section of society. R-iiiiight. So the people in Bowler hats aren't supposed to represent Orangemen then? The 'No name' street sign isn't an easter egg? The people kissing was because?????? The wife who is subservant to her husband (evidenced by her lower level to hubby) doesn't warrant a mention either? I know they sound like little things. I know I should interpret it myself but surely the point of the director's commentary is to show what the director was trying to achieve, how he wanted things to be interpreted etc.?

Anyway, thoughts?

I agree with #4 and 5..otherwise I think it was a good buy and I got mine at a very good price:wink:

I also thought it was a great DVD. Yes, the directors' commentaries are a bit hit and miss, as are commentaries in general. I'm happy we at least got them. (and I have no qualms with the Please video commentary :)).

I do agree that it would've been better to collect all the videos from that period, especially since only a few are missing. On the top of my head, they are: One (Buffalo Version), Even Better Than The Real Thing (Alternate Version by some photographer), Until The End Of The World (Studio Version), Love Is Blindness & Discothèque (Remix)

Overall, I liked it. I have no complaints. I would've liked to have seen the Walk On videos included though.

I do hate that interface though. It takes too damn long to load up.

You'd think that the Buffalo U2 vid would be on since it's used as the cover and stuff

But i was surprised to get around 25 videos and extras for the price I paid

I love the Staring at the Sun and IGWSHA commentaries. Actually I like most of the commentaries and probably watch those more than the regular videos. :der: It would have been nice to have the One buffalo video, yeah, I'd love to have a DVD quality copy. The rip from that Interference VHS thing isn't all that great. :|

Totally agree on the interface, it's pretty annoying.

The DVD is a lot better than the CD.

If you hit the next button on your remote while it's loading up the menu will pop up immediately.

Those videos are the best of their career.

All three versions of One
Even Better Than The Real Thing
The Fly
Please
Stay
Lemon
Numb
If God Will Send His Angels
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

:drool:

I like the fact that they added all those Extra videos. They are probably my favourites. But I think it would have been nice if all the ATYCLB videos were on it. And for the commentaries? I mean how exciting can a commentary on anything in life be too exciting?

I thought the DVD was great; much better than the CD. Yeah, they missed some videos, but they got all the major ones and a lot of the minor ones. Not only did they cover a lot of the alternate versions, but they also included a lot of songs I didn't expect to find there at all (e.g., "Mofo," "If God Will Send His Angels," "Please," and, uh, I'm kind of surprised they included any of the Pop ones untouched, actually, considering the treatment they gave that album on the CD).

Really, the buffalo version of "One" was the only major omission; very few people are going to grab this thing and go, "WTF, where's the 'Even Better Than The Real Thing' alternate version by some photographer? This sucks."

I would've ditched the less substantial "bonus features" (like the documentaries--who the fuck wants to watch a short film about the filming of the "Electrical Storm" video--and the director's commentary, which was mostly unenlightening) for a few of the missing vids, but I don't think they hurt the whole.

Overall, it's a ton of stuff for the money. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have an eighties counterpart (the VHS doesn't count since it's analogue and much less thorough).
Chizip said:
i loved the Discotheque commentary
Me too.

Transcript for those who don't have the DVD: "Blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah go-go dancers blah."

Last edited:
... So that's the way we did it. I had so many different elements to do, but, uh, we had to reduce a few of ze idea. Which for me was, uh, I wanted to do it like a spectacular; like a show. There was one shot that I was meant to do on dah... on Discotheque and that I had done as a photographer, was to film Bono's mouse singing ze song inside tube -- a metal tube. So that whole mouse would reflect inside the tube. And that would've been perfect for zees video!

[...]

When I was giving them the movement I had a choreographer next to me, and Larry was like, 'whatever.' And it was completely all wrong all the time. And then zah fah hee zah (?) and I vas like, 'that's it. it's even better like that,' you know?

Bono is perfect; doing the movement perfectly. And Edge is kind of like, yes, following, because he's super pro, so he's going to follow. And then A-dam is like in another world, so he's like, following, but doing his own version. And then Larry is like 'no way. I don't give a shit. I won't -- I'm going to show people that I don't vant to do it. And, you know, it will show in the film, and I want it to show in the film that I am not participating, you know. I am not ap-proving this.'

Oh my God. Ha! Ha! Edge iz so cool. Ay yi yi. Ze way Edge is dressed. Oh, it's perfect. But zon't you tink zat the other, I mean that, uh, the four of them -- that it reflects so much der personality. Oh, okay... maybe not Edge. But, yes, with ze the mustache -- you know, it's just perfect the way they're dressed in the Village People section: Larry as a cowboy, Edge as a S&M, ah ha! And A-dam as a Navy. Ohh, it's perfect. Okay, wow, zat's eet.

I want to have Stephane Sednaoui's babies :heart:

Last edited:
Chizip said:
The DVD is a lot better than the CD.

If you hit the next button on your remote while it's loading up the menu will pop up immediately.
Pressing "Menu" (not "Main Menu") works too.
Except for some reason, this also makes the selection start on Mysterious Ways instead of EBTTRT. :confused:

My view on the DVD is it is great but could be made better.

1. I dont have a problem with the number of videos there, practically every video they did in the 90s is there. The extra videos are excellent, I probably watch Lemon, If God Will Send His Angels and Please the most of all the videos.

2. I guess in an ideal world they could have put the video + a unreleased live video for each song. I guess there wouldnt be much space on the DVD tho. The live version of UTEOTW + Please are the only unreleased material shown, which is slightly disappointing given the amount of resources the must have.

3. Documentaries. The 3 that are there are fine. In the Missing Sarajevo one they could have shown some more concert footage tho.

4. The interface is a little annoying but doesnt bother me too much.

5. Director Commentaries. Some are quite informative - generally the Corbijn/Wenders/Joanoau Videos. Some a bit rubbish I thought HMTMKMKM was poor. With all the videos you get the feeling the director was just shown the video they had made having not seen it for 5,6,10 years then thrust a microphone and asked to make a commentary. As a result the directors seem unprepared making comments like 'I havent seen this in ages' 'Is this when...happens?' They describe what is happening as opposed to explaining what is happening in some cases.

The Discotheque director tries to distance himself from it. 'Oh my God'.....'It was never finished, polished, reached its potential' :giggle:

Best Videos: Stay, Lemon, Even Better Than The Real Thing
Worst Videos: Discotheque, Staring at the Sun

Thereare some cool little easter eggs on the DVD, nothing life changing, but interesting little things nonetheless

Never mind, I had a brain fart - was thinking of the Boston show...the only cool easter egg on Best Of is the William Burroughs thing but that's like 20 seconds long

Last edited:
Quick question - should there be 1 or 2 DVDs in the package? I got the DVD a year or two ago, and it was a fold out cardboard case with room for 2 DVDs, but only had one DVD, and then a DVD shaped note in the other holder. It was sealed, but I can't remember what the note said. Was it supposed to be like that?

As someone mentioned, I love how there's a bonus videos section with WGRYWH, Lemon, Mofo, TGBHF etc. Cos these aren't mentioned on the box back cover. Nice surprise! :up: Now, I do miss the One 'buffallo' video. But it's okay, the Berlin one is my fav of the three anyway. And I agree that some of the commentaries were sub par. Some of the directors would just make random comments or observations and not significantly add anything to the track. But hey, you can't win everything. I love the documentaries esp. the One and Sarajevo ones! Was cracking up watching Bono in the car with the Miss Sarajevo chick, trying to do the Pavarotti pitch! And all those 90s videos are just gorgeous...

ZOO VIDEOS
Even Better
Mysterious Ways
One
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride
Numb.... great alt. video too although the shouts get a bit annoying. lol.
Lemon
Stay
:cool:

POP VIDEOS
Discotheque
If God
Please
Staring
Mofo
Gone
Last Night

As for ATYCLB, it should've probably been saved for 2010 but it's okay, just 2 videos anyway. I only care for BD though and not the God-awful Stuck 'football' video.

Overall... much much better than the CD version!

Back
Top Bottom