Berlin 2 cancelled after 5 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The exact same thing happened to me a few months back... where I was fine and talking normally and then without warning completely lost my voice. Was just a case of laryngitis. Was fine within a few days.

So yea, with Bono's health scare that he refuses to discuss, it's easy to jump to the worst possible conclusion. But it's entirely possible that it's just a simple case of laryngitis at the worst possible time.

Similar thing happened to Eddie Vedder in London a few months ago... only difference is he lost his voice an hour or so before the show, not after it had begun.

Here you can see when his voice "officially" goes kaput.

He looked frustrated, poor guy.

Right around 30 seconds it just goes... damn. Scary stuff but hopefully he'll make a quick recovery.

Sucks for the fans but you know they'll make it right and play another show there.

I guess Bono really didn't' want to sing Red Flag Day every night.

I can’t even watch that. Feel horrible for him and you can see how ashamed and embarrassed he is.

My wife and I saw Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers in 2010 do back to back nights & 2nd night Mike Campbell/ lead guitarist passed out from dehydration. Absolutely no reason to do back to back nights at that age, takes time to rebound from the physical exertion. Plus this was first shows after weeks not performing. Bad combination. Noone is immune to getting physically wiped by the rigors of that type of work & demands.

Is it possible he had some sort of age related issue? That there's a link to his mysterious health scare? That this is going to be a major problem? Sure.

It's also possible he shook hands with someone who had a cold virus a few days ago and it hit him at a really shitty time.

Until they say anything more, perhaps we should stop assuming it's anything more than that.

That song is hard as hell to sing. Hopefully he’s alright. They should think about whether or not to do consecutive night shows on the next tour.

Writing this with zero knowledge of what really happened but I don’t think this is a serious health issue but rather (hopefully) a negative reaction to some of the fog/smoke effects that were being used (I’m assuming some were being used from the articles I read). I would believe that if a large amount were breathed in or if the “fog”were not mixed with the proper concentrations of ingredients, it could screw with ones lungs/throat.

The fact that he was “great”before taking the stage indicates to me that the variable that caused the issue was introduced while on stage.....so someone is gettin fired.

Again, I’m not a doctor but I do post in Interference.

My wife says he faked it because he had the shits.

I don’t understand the commotion. Singers those their voices all the time. It’s not an uncommon reason a show gets cancelled

As challenging as his singing is, I’m surprised this hasn’t happened more often. This reminds me when his voice broke in Sarajevo during Popmart. That version of BD is exactly how he sounded during that show. The difference is he’s not a young man anymore, and it’s probably not good for him to try and power through.

I was there last night. It was a surreal experience. Standing at the E-stage I was too far off to see the band up close, so I thought of technical problems with the microphone. After 10 seconds I realised it was worse. Crowd was great taking over. Hopefully B-man is fine and he doesn't suffer from a major injury.

Band was absolutely on fire the first night giving Berlin a worthy kick-off. Opening sequence is European and that's good.

Right now, we're all waiting for what's next. Trucks have arrived in Cologne, but no signs of loading into the Lanxess Arena yet. I think we'll hear something Monday morning. Really hope the Tour is not in jeopardy.

Counting on a rescheduling of Berlin 2. Gives me a good reason to travel back to Berlin.

Whoot Whoot Whoot, travelling to Berlin again in November.. Tour will continue and Berlin will be the last night of the tour.

I...I can feel my booty leaking
I...I will meet you where the stalls are shaking

Baby it's a Brown Flag Day
Baby I can not sing further
Paradise is a basin
I can leave all the turds

Babe I ate a bad souffle
Now my stomach's a rumblin'
I think I may have a clog
I can't flush anymore

Bad souffleeeeee
Babe I ate a bad souffle
Bad souffleeeeee

So many poops today
Shouldn't have had so much food last night
But one thing that my mouth can't say
Is no... No... Noooooooooooooooo

I don’t understand the commotion. Singers those their voices all the time. It’s not an uncommon reason a show gets cancelled

That is true. But the commotion was more regarding how Bono's voice went out and his reaction to it, that's what made some very concerned. It's one thing if your voice is slowly (relatively speaking) deteriorating because of a cold, etc. But if it vanishes immediately and you don't know why, that's when people get concerned. Bono looked really terrified yesterday, as did the rest of the band.

Back
Top Bottom