Barcelona I Setlist Party (and show discussion & thoughts) Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what i wanna know is: where are those darn characters bono was talking about.... elvis's brother jesse or something like that?

or was bono just playing around, using that as an excuse to wear eye liner?

He said they were a work in progress, Mac wasn't developed until much later but was a spinoff of MBM. Maybe the light suit dude is part of the Jesse thing, I don't know...

jezus, that was ONE disaster of a version. People can whine about Popmart Las vegas sounding unrehearsed with the lowpoint of SATS but that was a song they had never played live. You can not say the same about One, easely one of the most overplayed songs in history which is a shame because it had SO much grace.:down:

Bono wasn't "calling out" Edge and Adam. he was just instructing them where they should go in the song. :|

just listened to one and with or without you.

despite the cock up with one, with or without you was by far the worst performance. they all absolutely sleepwalked through it.

i don't mind them playing a number of old standards because that's u2, it's the nature of the beast, but they could at least put some effort in - there's no excuse for how pathetic with or without and pride are today given the improved strength of bono's since popmart.

but nonetheless, no need to worry yet. they've rehearsed more than they've played, they'll reach into the back pocket and pull out a few more surprises before this month is up.

besides, look what's happened so far. bullet is gone, no sign of new year's day (which is a bit sad, imo) and there's bound to be other stuff that's been dumped. they're playing ultraviolet and the unforgettable fire. we know they're going to pull out drowning man at some point - and who knows what else they've got in the pipeline.

so i'm more upset about the quality of what they've performed - admittedly over one night - rather than the quantity. if it's the same set all through the leg and as poorly performed as one and with or without you were last night, then we have a real right to complain.

bah, essay.

^ maybe its time to put them to rest as well. :reject:
that would be preferable, but this is u2. this has been their modus operandi since the 1980s, they're not about to change. it would be nice if they did, but let's face it: history doesn't suggest they will.

if they had with or without you going like joshua tree/lovetown and zoo tv before macphisto, and one (as much as i don't care for it) like they had on popmart and zoo tv, we might not be so upset by their presence. we only got sick of bullet when they made it so weak on vertigo.

why the hell didn't i check dime before i left for work...gah!

i think it would be cool if they harnessed B to the swinging mic for UV, maybe gave him a foot harness/stirrup and slowly swing him around. not sure if anyone's with me on that.

-dan

I wasn't impressed with Ultraviolet to be honest with you. The beginning was great but then he's swinging all over the place and trying to sing at the same time. It's distracting.

Hmm... I'm really glad that Edge moved One back to its original guitar... I think that song will be much better on this tour once they stop screwing it up.

Hmm... I'm really glad that Edge moved One back to its original guitar... I think that song will be much better on this tour once they stop screwing it up.

:up:

i do think it's funny that they screwed up the easiest song, lol!

damn, i didn't even think about going over the pit while singing UV....that would be cool too!

i'm not a big fan of the steering wheel mic as it stands right now and i think he looks kinda hokey just jumping and swinging around.

-dan

A lot of people here mentionned UV and UF came out high in the Zootopia polls inquiring which songs U2 should play. Anyone know the top songs listed? Were UV and UF tops? I do wonder if they're taking that into consideration :hmm:

ZooMacPhisto800's Take...

No sense criticizing mistakes (Edge screwing up), no sense criticizing Bono's maluse of the steering whell thing (he'll learn), no sense criticizing aesthetics of the Guantaflope.

Streets....Intro Lights?!?!?

Did U2 put the bright house lights back in at the intro of Streets?!?

They took them out during the Vertigo tour when they did the African Dream Themed intro.

Since 1987.... the guitar, the drum build up and then the LIGHTS hitting the crowd going nuts has always been my favorite live moment of the show!!

:applaud:

yeah, very uncharacteristic of Mr. Edge. i'm sure he'll be fine though. surprised he didn't throw a guitar, haha!

:lol:
Guitars fear pissed off Edge...

It was the first show, I'm sure they are gunna tighten it up!
BTW:That was a pretty kick ass jacket B.Vox was wearing durning U.V

You should bank on the next show being identical. That's U2. However if they then change up one song (or two even) then you'll be pleasently surprised.

I've always wondered why U2 plays basically the same set list for every show during every tour ( Basically you only need to see them once). Also I think that makes these shows more mechanical.

I think one of the most impressive things that I ever saw is that Springsteen plays a new setlist night in and night out and for the past two years takes requests from the Audience for about 4 songs. I wish U2 did this but I also wish that U2 put on shows that went on for 3 or 3.5 hours as well.

I've heard the show and... MOS is not doing it for some reason. I love the song in the album but... the live version needs more work. Not enough umph IMO. As a closer it does not work... I think. Needs a better intro too. Other then that... it seems like a good opening show for the tour. I'm sure they will work out the kinks.

General thoughts after watching the first show

OK, so it was a rough first night, and we've got to expect some hiccups, though perhaps this was a bit worse than what we would expect from a band like U2.

Regardless, here's what I think:

-They should totally play up the entire space angle/theme - this is a great idea and no one else is doing it. They've got the claw. Get into it. Totally over the top. Maybe add a character or two? I was really hoping for that this time since I believe Bono to be an excellent actor - he should take advantage of these skills!

-Breathe should NOT be the opener. I love this song - my personal favorite from NLOTH - but no way does this fit as the opening song. What they should do is play FEZ over the speakers while they come out and then go crashing into Being Born as the first song. Imagine Bono's yelling being the first thing you hear from him. That moment would be absolutely incredible.

-Finally, it's time to drop With or Without You. Just let this song die. There are plenty of other "classics" that fans will be just as happy with. This song has not sounded good live since the JT tour (Zoo TV was OK...).

Other than that, I really liked what I saw/heard. There is a lot of potential with this tour - just like with the album - they need to take advantage of everything they have going for them right now...

OK, so it was a rough first night, and we've got to expect some hiccups, though perhaps this was a bit worse than what we would expect from a band like U2.

-They should totally play up the entire space angle/theme - this is a great idea and no one else is doing it. They've got the claw. Get into it. Totally over the top. Maybe add a character or two? I was really hoping for that this time since I believe Bono to be an excellent actor - he should take advantage of these skills!

-Breathe should NOT be the opener. I love this song - my personal favorite from NLOTH - but no way does this fit as the opening song. What they should do is play FEZ over the speakers while they come out and then go crashing into Being Born as the first song. Imagine Bono's yelling being the first thing you hear from him. That moment would be absolutely incredible.

-Finally, it's time to drop With or Without You. Just let this song die. There are plenty of other "classics" that fans will be just as happy with. This song has not sounded good live since the JT tour (Zoo TV was OK...).

Other than that, I really liked what I saw/heard. There is a lot of potential with this tour - just like with the album - they need to take advantage of everything they have going for them right now...

I cant believe the amount of people who have posted to drop With or Without You this is most likely with the exception of Pride U2's greatest song. It would be like the Stones dropping Satisfaction...Bruce dropping Born to Run...etc. I think they should go back to adding the Shine like Stars snippet. I saw U2 in New Jersey for Vertigo and was astonished when they didnt play this song.

That idea about Fez is a great one! :yes:

As for WOWY, I don't understand the lack of love either - it's one of my all-time faves and hope it never disappears from the setlist :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom