Assassination of the Sun - It's the Communist Sun God Worshippers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What we came up with was: Since the incident happened here in the US and not Japan, she had to be tried under US law. And a child was definitely intentionally killed. She took the child with her to the ocean and was in her full senses too. So.. we suggested she go to jail for about 10 to 15 years and since the case didn't specify if she was a US citizen, she should be deported back to Japan. But if she was, then jail and probation and counselling. Psychiatric help and all.

I personally would have added mandatory parenting and marriage classes so that she would better know why she was in the wrong which would help in rehabilitation.

I think we have every right to judge a culture when some parts of it obviously are wrong. I'm all for respecting other cultures but that stops at discrimination, killing etc. Regardless of culture there are some things that are right and some that are wrong and encouraging someone to kill themselves over something that wasn't their fault is wrong.

Reading back through things I think what you came up with Zee was completely correct. Because, at the end of the day, this happened in the US. But the counselling and things, that'd be necessary. Because it's such a cultural thing, and linked so directly with cultural differences in marriage and power.

See you later, Zooey :wave:

Basically it all boils down to other cultures having male domination. If I was ever in this woman's position, what I'd do is LEAVE him. No tears, no drama, nothing. I'd walk out and not beg and cry and all. But this is an entirely different culture. So as PR says, we have to look at THEIR side of it too. It's their culture, their practice. Who are we to judge other cultures, traditions and customs?

:)

A little bit of empathy can go an awful long way :yes:

I think we have every right to judge a culture when some parts of it obviously are wrong. I'm all for respecting other cultures but that stops at discrimination, killing etc. Regardless of culture there are some things that are right and some that are wrong and encouraging someone to kill themselves over something that wasn't their fault is wrong.

:yes: But... it's so hard to know where to draw a line, isn't it? I think when people are being unjustly oppressed, tortured or killed then if we an prevent that we must. Yet it's so hard to know when to draw those lines, and when it just boils down to cultural intolerance.

I think we have every right to judge a culture when some parts of it obviously are wrong. I'm all for respecting others culture but that stops at discrimination, killing etc. Regardless of culture there are some things that are right and some that are wrong and encouraging someone to kill themselves over something that wasn't their fault is wrong.

I agree. :up: Your culture is less important than your humanity.

Yep - I'm not advocating that we necessarily have to agree with another cultural view point at all but it is more helpful in finding a solution / resolution in a case like BD was outlining if we have an understanding of why a crime was committed - I love this kind of stuff - really really interesting.

:yes: But... it's so hard to know where to draw a line, isn't it? I think when people are being unjustly oppressed, tortured or killed then if we an prevent that we must. Yet it's so hard to know when to draw those lines, and when it just boils down to cultural intolerance.

I agree, there is a line a very fine line that is not always clear but to me oppression, torture and killing are always, and those cultures need to be adapted. I'm against the exporting of the Western ideal of culture across the world, and against the disappearance of individual cultures but the well being of human life to me is far more important than any culture.

We also covered things like female genital mutilation :)yikes:) and infanticide. Cultures have been practicing this for years. We think it's nasty and all, but it's normal to them... I'm sure there are some things in my culture they disapprove of or in American culture they disapprove of, too....

I agree, there is a line a very fine line that is not always clear but to me oppression, torture and killing are always, and those cultures need to be adapted. I'm against the exporting of the Western ideal of culture across the world, and against the disappearance of individual cultures but the well being of human life to me is far more important than any culture.

Exactly. :yes:

I agree. :up: Your culture is less important than your humanity.

:up:

:up:

Yep - I'm not advocating that we necessarily have to agree with another cultural view point at all but it is more helpful in finding a solution / resolution in a case like BD was outlining if we have an understanding of why a crime was committed - I love this kind of stuff - really really interesting.

Of course if I was the jury I'd consider the culture she is from and I'd probably go lighter on her than on someone from a Western culture but what she done could never be justified by culture. Also I'd look at her husband too, he most likely knew of her culture and how she would be expected to react in that situation, so it's his fault too. He cheated, and in her mind she done what was right in return, no matter how wrong her decision was, he deserves some of the blame.

Nice to know this thread entertains people :wink:

We also covered things like female genital mutilation :)yikes:) and infanticide. Cultures have been practicing this for years. We think it's nasty and all, but it's normal to them... I'm sure there are some things in my culture they disapprove of or in American culture they disapprove of, too....

It endangers girls lives, and can lead to so many problems; whether it's culturally accepted or not, it should not be allowed. It's a form of torture in so many ways, and accepting it just because it's what they do is akin to saying men should be allowed beat their wives because they always have.

I completely agree... but, with limits. I think the key thing is it HAS to be the female's choice. Otherwise, it's barbaric and wrong and no I don't agree with it. But when it's for things like decoration etc, when it's part of their culture to do so, then I don't think we in the west should go storming in complaining of morals etc.

How about equal punishment

What do you mean? :confused:

It endangers girls lives, and can lead to so many problems; whether it's culturally accepted or not, it should not be allowed. It's a form of torture in so many ways, and accepting it just because it's what they do is akin to saying men should be allowed beat their wives because they always have.

When something is a major health risk it goes beyond the culture.

I completely agree... but, with limits. I think the key thing is it HAS to be the female's choice. Otherwise, it's barbaric and wrong and no I don't agree with it. But when it's for things like decoration etc, when it's part of their culture to do so, then I don't think we in the west should go storming in complaining of morals etc.

it's mostly done to pre-teen girls in cultures where women have zero power and respect. Do you really think they'll ever have much of a chance to have a choice in it all?

When I think of it, I think of either young girls suffering female circumcision OR older women choosing the mutilate themselves. And I think the two have to be treated very differently, and yes the first shouldn't take place. Ever. The second circumstance is more about freedom and 'right to do what you like with your body for whatever reason' etc.

BD said the guy was commiting adultery. So they're both in trouble

The man should obviously be killed then :D

Jokes aside, adultery makes my blood boil. I wouldn't advocated any kind of murder though. Except in the case of my Father, of course.

it's mostly done to pre-teen girls in cultures where women have zero power and respect. Do you really think they'll ever have much of a chance to have a choice in it all?

Good point. We had to watch a video about it too. :)yikes:)

It's all done to repress female sexuality as apparently, without being circumsized, they're raving nymphomaniacs.... We also saw a woman trying to DELIVER A BABY with the full circumsicion done.

Read what I've just posted :wink: No, I don't agree with female circumcision in young girls at all. But people always seem to lump that with female body modification which takes place in some places in Africa (and all over the world to a lesser, more sterilized extent).

That's a good point. Why isn't the man blamed? Why does the woman take the brunt of whatever he does? Again, it's all about boiling down to male dominated cultures....

Exactly. The wider, deeper issue of male domination is more important in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom