Are Bono's motives to help Africa actually sinister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
meh.. Im not convinced. While there is debate as to whether Bono's approach (aid and debt forgiveness) is the right one to take as that man who gave the TED talk gave some good points, I do not think Bono's intentions are bad nor do I think the well discussed issue of tax evasion was a decision of Bono's but rather of the management of the band so I do not really blame U2 themselves for the tax evasion move.

However, I do disagree with Bono's comments about the music industry. The truth is, as technology moves forward industries need to be able to adapt- not complain, and when you look at NEW artists who have taken advantage of the liberties of the internet, you can see that there are other ways of being successful in the music industry regardless of illegal file sharing. In fact, just look at the band "Pretty Lights" who are absolutely fantastic if you have not heard them yet! Pretty Lights offers all their albums free online at their website- no charge at all (other than donations). However with their fantastic marketing skills and word of mouth they now completely sell out concerts all over the USA and are doing quite well. I think the music industry is more corrupt than internet sharing and clearly changes need to be made with the industry as the digital age and free sharing is not going to go away any time soon.

Overall, I think this article is well written but I really dont see how it makes a convincing case that bono's motives are "sinister." Do I really believe Bono wants to help Africa for altruistic reasons? Yes. Do I think Bono is making some difference with Africa? Yes. Do I think Bono only cares about money and is just like a corporate CEO in disguise as a musician/ activist? No.

cpheader6.gif

screams crazy

it looks like all of those websites about 9/11 truth and chemtrails.

I like the emphasis on "punch." It gives me faith that they will punch the living shit out of that lying foreigner Bono.

1) aid often never reaches those for whom it is meant

2) aid feeds the notion that Africans are lazy, laggardly bums who, despite the benevolence of Westerners, refuse to pull themselves up by their bootstraps

3) aid helps clear the consciences of European countries who owe far more than a few shillings of their declining currency

4) aid most always has hidden agendas undisclosed even to recipient governments

5) aid, when treated as the end thereof, rather than means to an end of independence and self-sufficiency, can nurture subservience and subordination among oppressed populations.

And St Bono is personally guilty of the above because... ? It may not the the only way, and like anyone else's his ideas may not be perfect, but give people credit for trying.

As for the music industry, everyone keeps rehashing the "adapt!" war-cry, but no one has yet provided any real suggestions. The issue is there can't be a long lasting band like U2 the way things are now, because people won't buy records and support bands. Or a long lasting solo act.

This fierce defender of poor people’s rights “is part owner of Pandemic/Bioware, producers of Mercenaries 2, a video game which simulates an invasion of Venezuela.” It's a video game, not taking over the world...

“Bono is no man of peace,” legendary music critic and Sirius Satellite radio host Dave Marsh wrote last year; “he has yet to speak out against any war.”

Er...really? Try that again?

I don't disagree with the problems inherent with sending aid, certainly those exist, and they need to be acknowledged and fixed (and I missed the discussion between Bono and Mwenda on the topic, so that apparent fiery exchange that happened between them, I can't comment on). But then what do those who argue aid alone doesn't work propose we do? I keep hearing people all the time critique Bono's ideas, and they may have valid reasoning as to why they don't work, but I don't really hear a lot of other options put up beyond that. And besides that, he doesn't say aid and aid alone will solve our problems.

Meh. Anywho, I guess I figure, at least Bono's doing something about the issue. This guy chooses to spend his time ranting about Bono doing it. That pretty much says it all.

Angela

Regarding Dave Marsh, the guy would be long forgotten among rock music critics if he hadn't jumped on Bruce Springsteen's coat tails decades ago. He is often so wrong in his views on various subjects that it staggers the imagination. Add to that he often puts forth his opinions in a bullying, confrontational way and you get someone who is really more of a laughable loudmouth who never seems to understand that joke is on himself.

Er...really? Try that again?

I don't disagree with the problems inherent with sending aid, certainly those exist, and they need to be acknowledged and fixed (and I missed the discussion between Bono and Mwenda on the topic, so that apparent fiery exchange that happened between them, I can't comment on). But then what do those who argue aid alone doesn't work propose we do? I keep hearing people all the time critique Bono's ideas, and they may have valid reasoning as to why they don't work, but I don't really hear a lot of other options put up beyond that. And besides that, he doesn't say aid and aid alone will solve our problems.

Meh. Anywho, I guess I figure, at least Bono's doing something about the issue. This guy chooses to spend his time ranting about Bono doing it. That pretty much says it all.

Angela

Well, Bono clearly has acknowledged 2 things, and done so repeatedly:

1.)There are problems inherent in aid. He has spoken many times about aid being picked off by corrupt dictators, gangs, etc. He has said that corruption is as big an enemy as HIV/AIDS in Africa. He has also very correctly pointed out how if we don't give humanitarian aid, people who we may not want getting support and sympathy may do so in our place. He often cites Hezbollah's role in the rebuilding of Lebanon after the 2006 skirmish with Israel. He has been supported by many US military leaders in this view, including National Security Adviser and former Marine General James Jones.

2.)The ultimate goal of all of his work is to make the need for aid go away.

That being said, what has been done has been tremendously effective and the numbers are there to back it up. It's in every report by developed countries on the aid, it's in independent studies by scholars, in the studies of the UN and in the studies of non-governmental organizations. The numbers have been run on video screens during all 360 shows(before One and after MOS) and Bono has alluded to them as well.

It's the biggest rock tour in the history of the world and if serious issues were being given the b.s. numbers treatment the past 2 years, someone somewhere would have caught wind of it and had a "Bono lying, rich asshole caught dead wrong on effectiveness of aid" headline splashed across newspapers the next day.

Given all the hatred out there for Bono(for whatever baffling reason), the sole reason we haven't seen such a headline is the simple fact that what he's saying is true.

Not only has it been effective, Bono's crucial role in it has been attested to by numerous people who actually made the decisions to invest in the kind of aid he advocated.

Back
Top Bottom