Another person says Spring, Bizitches (NEW)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Neil McCormack, longtime friend of U2 said:
(this is from atu2.com)

Writing in today's Telegraph, longtime U2 friend Neil McCormick reports that U2's new album is due in the spring ... which we've all pretty much asumed to be the case. He adds the following thoughts from half the band about their progress:

"Edge claims it is their rockiest offering since their early days, while Bono claims the songs are stronger than those on their last, critically acclaimed, album, All That You Can't Leave Behind. Which suggests it is going to be something special if, as Edge jokingly but somewhat pointedly remarked, "Bono can just tear himself away from saving the world for long enough to finish the lyrics".

Last edited:
so what?

that implies the lyrics aren't even done yet.

and spring can mean anything from march to june.

I'm starting to bet on fall 04.

March 8 at the earliest, June 30 at the latest. U2 are not going to make this the longest time between the release of albums in their history. If your planning to buy the album the first day, you will have it in your hands before the end of June at the latest.

I don't remember what channel I was watching but they were naming bands that would have new albums out in 2004, and they said U2's new one would be out Spring 2004.
:shrug:

It doesn't matter to me, spring or fall... just as long as they have time to practice the songs before the tour starts! :yikes: Been there done that *coughpopmartcough* :no: .
I for one would love it if the tour starts in Australia or Europe then come over to the states for the 2nd leg of the tour. :yes:

One of the most reliable newspapers in Spain, "El Peri?dico", says the release date is March 8th... and it dedicates a full page to Bono's quotes we all now by now ( the "punk rock made in Venus" one, etc...) and stuff that's been around lastly (tour, etc...).

Being this newspaper, I believe it. So... MARCH 8th, new album out!!!! Maybe 1st single news are closer than we think...

JOFO said:

Did you actually read it? Let me quote: "as Edge jokingly but somewhat pointedly remarked ..."

Axver said:

Did you actually read it? Let me quote: "as Edge jokingly but somewhat pointedly remarked ..."

so what?

jokingly is followed by the word pointedly.
and bono is notorious for leaving the lyrics till last.

JOFO said:
so what?

jokingly is followed by the word pointedly.
and bono is notorious for leaving the lyrics till last.

It hardly implies a thing. He was joking. Jokes are not meant to be taken as fact. I don't get any implication out of it, just Edge was making a humorous quip utilising the knowledge that Bono leaves the lyrics until last. Anyhow, we know it's pretty much done from statements that the album is "cooked." The lyrics are done.

"Edge claims it is their rockiest offering since their early days..."

YES!! I know Bono has stated this quite often, but to be honest, he says a lot of things (and can be quite the deceiver :shifty: ). I haven't heard Edge say anything about the sound of the new album until that comment. YAYAY!

:yes:

this might look familiar...

Celtic Soul Brothers (Edge Chats About New Album)
New Musical Express, June 08, 2000

U2 guitarist the Edge has provided a fresh insight into what fans can expect from the band's forthcoming album, by claiming that "soul is the key element above anything."

In an online interview with www.burst.com, hosted by U2 fan site www.atu2.com, the Edge also said they were toying with the idea of using samples and there would be "different sounds than what we've ever used before, different arrangement styles and...just a lot of experimentation."

But fans will have a long wait before they hear the results for themselves as the album is still some way from completion.

"I think that as with any U2 record, it is such an organic process -- it's changing week by week and I think that it's gonna be a record that people play a lot.

"It's not gonna be a record that people buy and have in their record collection, which unfortunately a lot of records seem to be these days. I think it's a band-centred record, meaning that everything that will go on the record started out from within the four members of the band working together. From there, you know we might well abstract a lot of the work in using sampling possibly -- we haven't gotten into the end game yet. I think that that core of the record, the heart-and-the-soul of it will be very much about the band.

"Style-wise, probably a big variety of different feels and styles -- everything that sort of turns us on will be in there in some shape or form as always."

In March, the band's leader Bono had commented that heels were being dragged over the release of the follow-up to 1997's Pop because the foursome get "bored" trying to actually finish lyrics.

However, at that time Bono had hinted that an autumn release was probable as the band were about to select the best 10 or 12 songs from those available. The singer also commented that the album would be "very noisy, bursting with vitality and life-force."

thanks to atu2...

Well, I agree with some parts with what Edge had to say. The band did use effects on the album, it had soul. It was concentrated on the band's sound and it most definitely had various styles - from rock, soul, ambiental music to pop.

I certainly played it a lot :D

the Edge also said they were toying with the idea of using samples and there would be "different sounds than what we've ever used before, different arrangement styles and...just a lot of experimentation."

those must've been the tunes that didn't make the cut.

one can only hope for that this time around.

JOFO said:
the Edge also said they were toying with the idea of using samples and there would be "different sounds than what we've ever used before, different arrangement styles and...just a lot of experimentation."

those must've been the tunes that didn't make the cut.

one can only hope for that this time around.
Actually, if we stop and think about it, ATYCLB does indeed encompass some sounds and arrangement styles they've never used before. Using a prominent synth ('Beautiful Day' for example) was a new sound and direction for U2, as was the pop song structures found throughout the entire album. There are also a lot more classic rock guitar sounds on ATYCLB than on any other U2 album. I can't think of another U2 album that sounds anything like ATYCLB actually. These differences likely (I would take a huge bet on it anyway) came about through intense experimentation. U2 had something like a 100 rough songs on the go before recording the album. Larry commented it was like Pablo Mowtown in the studio. They made a traditional "soul" record -- something they'd never attempted before.

On a side note, everyone seems to be under the impression Bono/U2 said ATYCLB was going to be a "rock" album. This is not true. It was largely the media and fans postulating that started that rumour. The band always called ATYCLB a soul album, an album with vitality and life force, etc, etc... but never a rock album.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom