American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I find the production choice odd during the last part of this song. It's like they stripped out all the bass from that part. When I first heard it I thought it was an artifact of a bad rip, but now with the high quality rip, it's still there. It's so noticeable that I thought the sub in my car became disconnected.

This song keeps getting better for me. That bit in the middle where Edge is singing is really different and interesting. Kudos overall to the backup singing and vocal harmonies on this album

The most boring song U2 has ever made imo, everything I don't like about recent U2 combined in 1 song. /ZZzzZz. It's a shame they'll probably open their new shows with this song, like the horrible Miracle of Joe Ramone. 0/10, not even 1 for effort.

Listening the album for the first time now, was pretty good until I heard this song.

Last edited:
0/10? Bit of a hysterical overreaction on this song in many places. I mean that's Despacio (or whatever the fuck he's called) or Coldplay Something Just Like This territory. No song on this album goes near that toxic region.

It's not a great song but it isn't jarring like Stand Up Comedy or I'll Go Crazy. I quite like the rawness of it even if it sounds like a parody.

I am supirsed at how many people don't like it!

The "refu-Jesus" line is questionable, but overall I am just glad there is some rock on this album. I like it

Show opener

Song reminds me of Mofo a bit with the chaos of the song and I can see it opening the show. I find myself boxing to parts of it kind of like Bono did coming out for Mofo. I think it would actually work well to get the energy going in the crowd.

If people would get out of their own way with the Volcano ref they may enjoy it. I honestly think part of the original concept may have been to reinterpret all the songs on two completely different albums and release them at the same time. So I think we are seeing a little of that spread through the album.

I now like this song. Hearing it as part of the album did loads for my appreciation. The side A of the vinyl is pretty cracking!

Interesting thing I noticed is that the chanting bridge that gets extended airing in this is also in Volcano, though in Volcano it’s used only briefly as an intro to the bridge. Here they really let it have its space and it develops into a very important movement in the song. I’m liking all the SOI callbacks throughout this album so much. This one initially jarred me, but at the current moment I don’t get any of that. Went from a 4-5/10 to a solid 7.

I’d be thrilled to see this live (tho I’d rather see Blackout) on SNL.

Why didn't they just release Glastonbury instead? That was a great song, this is the worst song u2 has ever recorded imo. The amount of overthinking this band does has probably led to so many great songs being discarded in the process.

Callback to Kendrick Lamar's xxx was enough and they shouldn't have added the Volcano callbacks. There are other callbacks in the album that work for me such as Iris and Song for Someone but they are lyrical in nature but an instrumental callback just has a more lazy feel
...what?

XXX samples this song. It's not a callback to XXX.

I'm not sure who was the first to hate on this song, but now the negativity is like a virus in regards to this song.

This is NOT a bad song...why 13 gets praise for being a Song For Someone rewrite and American Soul gets shit on for adding a pre-chorus break lyric from Volcano as a new chorus is baffling...:huh:

I'm not sure who was the first to hate on this song, but now the negativity is like a virus in regards to this song.

This is NOT a bad song...why 13 gets praise for being a Song For Someone rewrite and American Soul gets shit on for adding a pre-chorus break lyric from Volcano as a new chorus is baffling...:huh:

Agree, def. not a bad song. I actually was influenced by the negative reviews on here until I listened to it a few times and enjoy the song. No, it's not one of the top songs on SOE but not the worst song by U2 ever as some are proclaiming.

Agree, def. not a bad song. I actually was influenced by the negative reviews on here until I listened to it a few times and enjoy the song. No, it's not one of the top songs on SOE but not the worst song by U2 ever as some are proclaiming.

I think there are a few high profile posters on this forum whose opinion carries a lot of weight, and some other posters want to seem like they're on the same page with the high profile posters. But the hate for this song is reaching Trumpian proportions...it's not a bad song.

It's a mob-mentality thing once the ball gets rolling.

I think there are a few high profile posters on this forum whose opinion carries a lot of weight, and some other posters want to seem like they're on the same page with the high profile posters. But the hate for this song is reaching Trumpian proportions...it's not a bad song.

Oh look another person who can't stomach other opinions and tries to downtalk them. I knew from the moment I first heard it it's the worst U2 song I'd ever heard, period. I guess you try to be on the same page as the worst poster here; BVS.

Not sure about your psych-analysis though human nature... you're probably right.
Re hating this song, I was pretty vocal a few weeks back. Still hate it.
I've previously explained both my reasons for hating it and what I like about it. To sum up: i think the combo of riff, lyrical phrasings, theme and refu-jesus epitomizes the worst aspects of post-2000 U2.
I also think the rhythm section is on fire in this song.
I don't hate the Volcano usage as much as I hate the lyrics.
In closing - imagine this song, boring cliche riff and Volcano chorus both included, having a more abstract, less cliche, less pandering, less clumsy lyric. And melody. Then it would only be a standard-grade clunker.
As it is it is appalling to my ears.
Utterly loving the album though.

I don't like it much, but I'm not sure it's the worst song ever. I just wish they hadn't chosen the most annoying part of Volcano to reuse. (And I actually really like Volcano.)

"Refu-jesus" though.... yikes.

I disliked the song the first time I heard it....a lot. But it's growing on me, it's definitely one of the weaker songs on a strong album though.

People praising 13 need to clean their ears.

American Soul is dragged down because it reproduces Bono's inane sloganeering and contains "refu-Jesus", not because of the Volcano reference. This would be a good song if Bono had bothered with the lyrics. As much as "refu-Jesus" is more stupid than anything that has ever fallen out of Bono's mouth before, I rate the song higher than a bunch of other tracks because the rest of the band deliver the goods.

13, on the other hand, is an absolute borefest that lifts far too much from a truly awful song.

The first time I heard this I thought WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SHIT???!!!!

But I'll be God Damned if that song has not grown on me. More than any of the others, AS is the song that gets stuck in my head. Yes, Bono's sloganeering is annoying, but it comes with the territory. I thought that last night on SNL they nailed this song, and GOOYOW kind of fell flat. I'm a pretty easy fan to please, I guess. Get used to AS, because it's going to be a centerpiece of the tour for the next year.

What's a high profile poster? Do I qualify? Us there a process involved? Do you need to do a reference check?

More importantly....with all this rugby or cricket bullshit that I have to read through, I'm going to talk NFL.....you're a Giants fan I take it given your avatar, right?

I am NOT a Giants fan (indifferent to them even though I live in the NYC area) but I am pissed with what they did to Eli. They are 2-9 with a coach who is a dead man walking and Eli is throwing to 3rd string receivers and they BENCH him??? WTF

Not to mention, they are benching him for Geno Smith....is that a joke? The guy is a Giants legend who led his team to 2 SB wins against the greatest coach, QB and dynasty at the time....he deserves to finish out the season without being embarrassed.

If they were 6-5 and in the hunt and thought Geno Smith (ugh) could get them into the playoffs, then maybe but at 2-9 you are playing for nothing.

I think its one of the best songs on SOE. Its an awesome rock tune with great lyrics and spirit that fit our time and our country. totally awesome. It is typical modern era U2, i.e. Vertigo, Volcano, etc. but with a harder edge and better lyrics. With the Kendrick Lamar intro, its the centerpiece of the 1st half of the record.

To those who don't appreciate it, well, there are plenty of other great songs on the album. I'm sure American Soul will do well with non-U2 fans however, and that the band will play it often on the upcoming tour.

After seeing it live (on SNL), this song has gone way up in my rankings. I loved the original Glastonbury, and early on had problems with its use here, but it really does work well.

There's a lot of snottiness in the hatred of the word "Refujesus." I like it. It's not a new word, but it sounds like something John Lennon would put in a song. And it sums up my thoughts on the refugee crisis in one word.

Oh look another person who can't stomach other opinions and tries to downtalk them. I knew from the moment I first heard it it's the worst U2 song I'd ever heard, period. I guess you try to be on the same page as the worst poster here; BVS.

:hug:

Ax\Headache...you guys are long time members and I respect your opinions and I'm not attacking anyone...just seems like a lot of 'hate and fury' for a good song...and come on American Soul kicked ass live on SNL...and will kick ass come May...:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom