"American Prayer"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Muldfeld, last unicorn did a good job of synopsizing the history of "American Prayer" and in the link that I provided above, I gave an eyewitness account of the first public performance of the song and then Liesje gave everybody to hear the original version of the song from 2002.

Here is a bit of what I wrote in the link provided above:

Actually, "American Prayer" predates the 46664 concert performance by Bono, Edge, Dave Stewart and Beyonce....

The first public performance of "American Prayer" was on 1 Dec. 2002, in Lincoln Nebraska, as Bono and DATA started their "Heart of America" Tour on World AIDS Day.

I was one of about 2,000 people in the audience that night to support Bono and DATA in their efforts for Africa.

Bono had a singing group of children from Ghana to perform for us and he recruited them as his "back up" singers for the first public performance of "American Prayer".

It was a bit of a "rough draft" performance of the song which would get better as the "Heart of America" tour progressed.

In true Bono fashion, he had to introduce the song to us with a joke. At the back of the stage was a boom box on a stand.

As Bono introduced himself & mentioned that he was in a group called U2 , he walked over to the boom box and pressed the play button while saying "And here's Larry, Adam and Edge"!

The audience exploded with laughter as the pre-recorded music started and Bono began singing his "American Prayer".

:bono::heart::heart::hug:
Thanks, Jamila,

That must have been pretty exciting and you must be pretty hardcore to be one of the few to see this. I do think it needs serious work, as does any demo or song in the rough, and it has the potential to be released one day -- at least as a b-side -- given its nice basic melody; it needs layers, though.

If you are referring to the 2002 version, he performed it with the Gateway Ambassadors, a children's singing and dancing troupe from Africa. They are the ones singing at the end not the audience (and they sang the entire song, just come in louder at the end on that soundboard bootleg). I saw it performed twice and the audience didn't sing along, probably because we didn't know the song.

Okay. It's funny how I imagined him in Africa singing to a village or something. Still a very sweet but aurally bad idea, I think.

I don't like the song and I don't like Obama.

Well I can get on with my day now.:rolleyes:

Me too, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted...

Okay, all the guy did was give his opinion on two topics that are actually being discussed in his thread, so I don't see why that warranted sarcastic replies.

I love amount of ignorance in this thread--on so many fronts! :love:

Instead of mocking people about their apparent ignorance, why not nicely offer your view to perhaps clarify things?

Thanks, Jamila,

That must have been pretty exciting and you must be pretty hardcore to be one of the few to see this. I do think it needs serious work, as does any demo or song in the rough, and it has the potential to be released one day -- at least as a b-side -- given its nice basic melody; it needs layers, though.

Thanks to you also, Muldfeld. You have a good attitude. :up:

I completely agree - "American Prayer" could use a bit of more work to refine it a bit.

But I like it just the way it is because it shows Bono's raw emotion about the AIDS pandemic the way it was back in 2002 and the closed doors that he was getting at the time in regards to his concerns for Africa in the USA.

As we can all see, things have definitely changed in the last five years. :applaud:

And it was pretty exciting to witness Bono & company on the "Heart of America" tour (Liesje could probably tell you more too)........and I am pretty hardcore (and proud of it). :sexywink:

Instead of mocking people about their apparent ignorance, why not nicely offer your view to perhaps clarify things?

"You can lead people to truth, but you can't make them understand it." -- Bill Watterson

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom