Am I in the minority here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
... when I say that Peace On Earth is gorgeous? I have always loved this track, sometimes more than even Walk On, Kite or Beautiful Day. :ohmy: So what if it deals with a tired subject? Does a great job at it!

In fact, I would go so far as to say that this is the only song, other than Beautiful Day that I've liked from day one on ATYCLB.

:ohmy:

i like it...however it's too cheesy to play in the car with a non-u2 fan. :D

i do feel like the bono's "angry" lyrics are sort of misinterpreted due to the nice christmas-y music. its not so obvious that he's actually being cynical about the constant "peace on earth" talk. anyway, i personally really like the lyrics. the music is kinda :shrug:

I think we had a "'Peace On Earth': Yea or Nay?" poll a while back, and it did much better than anyone anticipated. So the "Peace On Earth" lovers are a quiet but dedicated bunch. Of course, there's also a contingent of "Miami" lovers, so I guess there's no accounting for taste.

I really like it. Even without the lyrics (which I like too), the atmosphere of the whole song is wonderful. Great sound in the guitars. I think this aspect of it goes sadly unnoticed. If Lanois wasn't there, it probably would've been a chimey mess like "One Step Closer" (which I also love, but man, the arrangement lets the rest of the song down).

Lyrically, c'mon, "Jesus, can you take the time to throw a drowning man a line" is an awesome lyric, and you fuckers know it.

The "Peace On Earth" / "Walk On" segue was also pretty brilliant, even if the lyric change ("I'm sick of hearing, again and again, that there's never gonna be...peace on Earth") was kind of cheesy.

Last edited:
I've always liked it. I used to set my alarm in the morning to wake me up with that song. The way it slowly creeps into the song is a peaceful way to wake up.

I dig the track. Always have. Although it's not the best on ATYCLB, that distinction belongs to When I Look At The World.

Zootlesque said:
... when I say that Peace On Earth is gorgeous? I have always loved this track, sometimes more than even Walk On, Kite or Beautiful Day. :ohmy: So what if it deals with a tired subject? Does a great job at it!

In fact, I would go so far as to say that this is the only song, other than Beautiful Day that I've liked from day one on ATYCLB.

:ohmy:

Wow. You and I are usually in total agreement on all things U2. But this....Peace On Earth might be the only U2 song I actually don't like(although I've been warming up to it a little recently). My main gripe with it is - remember in one of the other threads today I was talking about Crumbs and I said the lyrics were too direct, and had no subtlety at all? It's the same thing here, I think.

typhoon said:

Lyrically, c'mon, "Jesus, can you take the time to throw a drowning man a line" is an awesome lyric, and you fuckers know it.

:yes: Exactly! I agree with that statement so much, I'm tempted to copy and paste it into my own original post. :wink:

Do it; no one will know.

Oh, and this thread got me listening to ATYCLB from "Peace On Earth" on, and I've gotta say, the whole second side of this album is underrated in the category of kicking ass. Well, except "Grace," which sucks. But the rest of it kicks ass, especially for you assholes who have "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" at the end.

Even "Wild Honey" kicks ass. YEAH, I WENT THERE.

Zoot, I'm sure you saw me agreeing with you on this issue before I posted up there, didn't you?

Cheesy? What struck me the most was that the names in the song, were actual people whose names were read on the radio, who died in a bombing.

If anything, there was an underlying theme of mortality on ATYCLB well IMO.

Now "Grace", that's what's criminally underrated. Some of the lyrics are not so good, but the 'grace makes beauty out of ugly things' and 'grace finds beauty in everything' lines are great.

It has a very 'all you need is love' vibe to it, lyrically, I think.

inmyplace13 said:
Zoot, I'm sure you saw me agreeing with you on this issue before I posted up there, didn't you?

Before you posted? :scratch:

Anyway, I did read your reply and know that you agree with me.

Zootlesque Peace on Earth is wonderful! magical!
i love it also

its a great, great track

Someone said Grace?
One of the most beautiful U2 closers ever

"Grace makes beauty out of ugly things"

Amen

Grace did take on a new life when it was used as the pseudo-closer for the elevation run...I plan to use the name when I start havin kids...:wink:

typhoon said:
Do it; no one will know.

Oh, and this thread got me listening to ATYCLB from "Peace On Earth" on, and I've gotta say, the whole second side of this album is underrated in the category of kicking ass. Well, except "Grace," which sucks. But the rest of it kicks ass, especially for you assholes who have "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" at the end.

Even "Wild Honey" kicks ass. YEAH, I WENT THERE.

:lmao:

Peace on Earth...I think I have to be in the right mood to enjoy this song. I used to really like it, now I'm kinda...eh. I actually really like the lyrics, they're very bitter, but you would never really know based on the musical atmosphere, it's too...bleh. I dunno, I don't like it. But sometimes I do :shrug: it's a decent song anyway. Love and Peace or Else is a million times better musically, but the lyrics aren't really as bitter. Odd.

I feel so wrong disagreeing with Zootlesque, like I'm cheating on someone :laugh:

IMP13 - I looooooooove When I Look at the World :love:

Zootlesque said:

Before you posted? :scratch:

Anyway, I did read your reply and know that you agree with me.

I meant before I even replied to the thread. Brain fart. :der:

Zootlesque, I think you are indeed in the minority....but I'm right there with you. I think the song is gorgeous. And as I have said before, it's one of the few that can bring me to tears each time I hear it.

Peace on Earth is a beautiful song but it's only my 7th favourite in ATYCLB. I still prefer Beautiful Day, Walk on, Kite, In a little while, New York and When I look at the world. Like One Step Closer on HTDAAB it's criminally ignored.

mikal said:
i like it. i actually play it acoustically from time to time.

Will you play it for me while I make you a yummy pizza? :flirt:

I adore this song so much, it's bitter, simple, sad. And that "Jesus can you take the time"-lyric is brilliance.

I like this song a lot. The little chimey sounds make it sound like a bitter Christmas carol as well as the way Bono almost spits out the word "Peace" during the last refrain. The only thing that doesn't work for me is its placement on the album. It's better as a stand-alone tune.

"hope and history won't rhyme"

BEVERLY56 said:

If you make pizza, you better make enough to share with everyone.

Well then, everyone has to play me "In a little while", on the accoustic guitar.

And by everyone, I mean, EVERYONE

EVERYONE

I think I might be the only person alive who truthfully feels ATYCLB is just as good as both Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. For me, it's impossible to pick a best U2 album of those three. They all take me to different places, and are all equally as powerful in their own rights.

It's definitely U2's most underrated album here on Interference, and gets such a bad rap it's a shame.

As for Peace On Earth, how could I not love this song? The lyrics here are simply amazing. The intro for this song is hauntingly gorgeous. And when Bono's voice comes in it's like a sweet slap in the face. "Heaven on Earth, we need it now. I'm sick of all of this hanging around."

It's a gorgeous song. And Grace is just as good! :mad: The whole second side of this album has an unexplainable ambiance to it. Especially the last two tracks together, New York and Grace. It's really something sonically amazing when you listen to this album with a great set of headphones.

This is probably my favorite album. But like I said it's hard to pick between the three masterpieces for just one favorite or best album.

I know it's all a matter of opinion, but it just so happens to be my opinion that anyone who can't appreciate the greatness of this album is a fucking idiot.

I love Love Peace or Else and Beautiful Day and ATYCLB. I think Peace On Earth has amazing lyrics!:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom