All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What the bloody hell's Corporate rock?? So is every rock song thats been used on a tv advert corporate rock? Its the stupidest term ive ever heard to label a band.

It really is stupid. It's just a derogatory remark, made up to make it sound like a musician is artistically bankrupt.

I just love it how the elitist reviewers somehow think that the small bands that they listen to somehow have NO ambition to become more well known and successfully commercially. Really just ignorant.

"Is there anything that screams "sell out" more than collaboration with the world's biggest cell phone retailer?

This line is screams of being biased and either not understanding the reason or not wanting to.

If you don't like a musical act partnering with a business, fine. But It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand U2 didn't partner with Apple because they are the biggest cell phone retailer, they partnered with Apple because they are the biggest MUSIC retailer. U2 are in the music business, so it is a very logical move.

People read reviews of SOI like this and think "the critic didn't like the music", when in fact the "critic" didnt like the music before they even heard it. It's really too bad that the album "reviews" are based more about the release method or Bono rather than the music.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"Is there anything that screams "sell out" more than collaboration with the world's biggest cell phone retailer?

This line is screams of being biased and either not understanding the reason or not wanting to.

If you don't like a musical act partnering with a business, fine. But It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand U2 didn't partner with Apple because they are the biggest cell phone retailer, they partnered with Apple because they are the biggest MUSIC retailer. U2 are in the music business, so it is a very logical move.

I disagree with this a bit. Considering that their cell phones are the primary way most people consume their music, I think the iPhone is as big, if not bigger, reason than iTunes for U2 to partner with Apple. The iTunes model is on its way down.

I'd say half of SOI is corporate rock. Not literally corporate rock, it's not like Apple wrote those songs, but I think we all know what is meant by that description (translation: Very Very Mainstream). I was actually shocked upon first listen as to how mainstream a lot of the songs sounded, more than ever before. I mean just polished to such a glistening extreme, like any Beyonce or Lady Gaga record. I'm talking Song for Someone, California, Iris, Volcano, EBW... Now while I may like at least two or 3 of those songs, it seems rather undeniable that they are shameless attempts (the MOST shameless attempts yet in their career) at radio hits. I think for the most part they pull it off, yet a song like SFS, though not the most offensive thing they've done (that would be Volcano), I don't think I will ever truly like, it's just not in my nature. And I'm sure a lot of people were jarred by the overwhelmingly mainstream production in most of these songs. If I didn't love U2 enough to give the record a few more chances, I would've dismissed it as radio pandering crap months ago. The first half of the record, at least. The 2nd side is more adventurous, less Corporate, more Mom and Pop store-ish. HAHAHA

I'd say half of SOI is corporate rock. Not literally corporate rock, it's not like Apple wrote those songs, but I think we all know what is meant by that description (translation: Very Very Mainstream). I was actually shocked upon first listen as to how mainstream a lot of the songs sounded, more than ever before. I mean just polished to such a glistening extreme, like any Beyonce or Lady Gaga record. I'm talking Song for Someone, California, Iris, Volcano, EBW... Now while I may like at least two or 3 of those songs, it seems rather undeniable that they are shameless attempts (the MOST shameless attempts yet in their career) at radio hits. I think for the most part they pull it off, yet a song like SFS, though not the most offensive thing they've done (that would be Volcano), I don't think I will ever truly like, it's just not in my nature. And I'm sure a lot of people were jarred by the overwhelmingly mainstream production in most of these songs. If I didn't love U2 enough to give the record a few more chances, I would've dismissed it as radio pandering crap months ago. The first half of the record, at least. The 2nd side is more adventurous, less Corporate, more Mom and Pop store-ish. HAHAHA

I can see where you would perceive it as radio pandering, but heartfully disagree about it being corporate rock. When someone says corporate rock, I instantly think of Nickelback.

I can see where you would perceive it as radio pandering, but heartfully disagree about it being corporate rock. When someone says corporate rock, I instantly think of Nickelback.

I'm not taking the word corporate literally. Just using it as a euphemism for overwhelmingly mainstream.

I'm not taking the word corporate literally. Just using it as a euphemism for overwhelmingly mainstream.

for "corporate rock" i also tend to think of songs that lack in any sort of real emotion. i don't think that's the case on SOI. at all.

for "corporate rock" i also tend to think of songs that lack in any sort of real emotion. i don't think that's the case on SOI. at all.

All depends on the listener I guess. Miracle, EBW, SFS and Volcano don't do anything for me. They're not terrible (correction, Volcano is).

I just checked in on this conversation.

The fuck?

What the bloody hell's Corporate rock??

This is Corporate Rock:

tumblr_lzhvxyamA11qbj2hso1_400.gif

I just checked in on this conversation.

The fuck?

Yeah, I've been hoping this discussion passes all day but it's like a bad storm that seems to have stalled!

SFS is corporate rock music married to a personal lyric.

Yep.

And I agree with the commenter above that SOI is too slick and radio friendly. Too many autopilot rockers and simple ballads that kind of fit in with the mainstream rock (or at least rock that gets on some pop stations, like Triple AAA formats) of today.

yep.

And i agree with the commenter above that soi is too slick and radio friendly. Too many autopilot rockers and simple ballads that kind of fit in with the mainstream rock (or at least rock that gets on some pop stations, like triple aaa formats) of today.

aaaaaaaaa?

All depends on the listener I guess. Miracle, EBW, SFS and Volcano don't do anything for me. They're not terrible (correction, Volcano is).

If EBW does nothing for you then you must truly be dead inside.

I agree with you about Vol-ca-HELLNO.

Sent from

I prefer Volcano to EBW. It sounds loose, fun and has a great riff. EBW was a good song in its live incarnation, but the studio version sounds so overproduced and grandiose that it feels forced and unnatural. It's trying to be the next big U2 anthem, but all I can hear is the band trying.

Now MOS, that's a successful modern U2 anthem. Just four guys in a room together playing a great song.

This is Corporate Rock:

tumblr_lzhvxyamA11qbj2hso1_400.gif

Holy shit,i remember this :) this is when the rock blew up in the WWF ( not bloody E)

How the hell did the rock, the mcmahons and hbk get on a u2 forum :)

Theres no such thing as corporate rock in my opinion. Its the most stupidest term ive ever heard. Its a made up term by some sour reviewer.

LOL. Corporate rock ?

I think some of SOI could work on the radio. Calfornia, This is where you can reach me now and maybe Volcano but not much else (Troubles but when was the last time a U2 album closer was a single?). Miracle was meh on first listen and is grating now.

Many love EBW (if MOS is a classic so's this one) but I'm not convinced it would work on the radio. We've seen these anthemic U2 songs fail in the 00's before. COBL, Magnificent.

I prefer Volcano to EBW. It sounds loose, fun and has a great riff. EBW was a good song in its live incarnation, but the studio version sounds so overproduced and grandiose that it feels forced and unnatural. It's trying to be the next big U2 anthem, but all I can hear is the band trying.

Now MOS, that's a successful modern U2 anthem. Just four guys in a room together playing a great song.

While I disagree about Volcano, you nailed it with EBW.

If EBW does nothing for you then you must truly be dead inside.

I agree with you about Vol-ca-HELLNO.

Sent from

The original live version I found to be moving. The new one sounds too hit-conscious. Like I said, it's not terrible, just not terribly moving. The verses are still good, that keyboard riff after the chorus is nice, but the "if you go" part through the chorus I find to be a let-down, especially because the verses are great.

EBW is the only track on SOI that has the "celestial architecture" Springsteen spoke of at the RNRHOF in 2005.

It's not as sweatless as some of their past tracks, but it achieves the transcendence it so badly desires, and it possesses that unique emotional language only U2 seems to possess.

As always, to each their own.

But Volcano still sux, guyz.

Sent from

EBW has to be released as a single. I wonder why it wasn't released as a first single. BUT don't edit the song like Magnificent. They ruined that song by taking away the guitarsolo.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

I get the celestial architecture at other parts in the album. Like Iris, for instance. Or parts of Sleep Like A Baby. Even California, another glaring mainstream production, has an escapist, transcending quality. EBW had a quiet transcendence about in the original version, though admittedly it needed some work. The new version retains the pretty verses but the new "inspirational" chorus sounds like an American Idol song. Bono's voice is top-notch, but the song's verses deserved better, IMO.

Holy shit,i remember this :) this is when the rock blew up in the WWF ( not bloody E)

How the hell did the rock, the mcmahons and hbk get on a u2 forum :)

Theres no such thing as corporate rock in my opinion. Its the most stupidest term ive ever heard. Its a made up term by some sour reviewer.

Haha, yea ... back when the WWF was actually entertaining. :wink:

I remember watching WWF/E in the early '00s and Beautiful Day was used for a comeback video for Triple H who was out injured.

No the problem is corporate reviewers. What is with these reviewers...trying to sell us their opinion .I AIN'T BUYIN'! Hypocrite I am. Taylor goes underground. God dammit I hate music s000000000000 much.

Back
Top Bottom