ALBUM 13 - DOUBLE LP or NOT ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling - just a feeling - that Adam will leave U2 within the next 12 months. The dude is moving to London, has a young family, and just seems like he genuinely has had enough. And U2 will replace him with a 25 year old hip kid who will jump up and down on stage ala RHCP's Flea.

Nope. He's been reportedly adding to the house in Danesmoate (there was an article published last month I believe about trouble obtaining permits). Not to mention the Brazilian is not the mother of his children. And he was the bachelor for many a year while the other three married and had kids. No one is jumping ship.

Except maybe the Brazilian. But that would be wishful thinking. :reject: :mac:

Happy by Pharell is currently the #1 song in the united states according to billboard, but some guy who saw Dallas outside 30 Rock said it was actually Wind Beneath My Wings, so I'm gonna go with that.

I didn't think Bette Middler could top the charts after all this time, buy I guess I was wrong.

This could very well be their last album, so I don't mind that they take their time to make it memorable.

Everyone else can continue jumping off the forty-eighth floor

Nope. He's been reportedly adding to the house in Danesmoate (there was an article published last month I believe about trouble obtaining permits). Not to mention the Brazilian is not the mother of his children. And he was the bachelor for many a year while the other three married and had kids. No one is jumping ship.

Except maybe the Brazilian. But that would be wishful thinking. :reject: :mac:

It's great how you you just call her the Brazilian not wanting to refer her by any name, CK you are the best!
:love: :hug:

Happy by Pharell is currently the #1 song in the united states according to billboard, but some guy who saw Dallas outside 30 Rock said it was actually Wind Beneath My Wings, so I'm gonna go with that.

I didn't think Bette Middler could top the charts after all this time, buy I guess I was wrong.

She was fantastic in Rochelle Rochelle

BiQd_UkCIAEDWXv.png:large

Super Yo - thank you for posting this.

Brian Parsons' letter reminds us that there is so much more to life than worrying about an album release and a tour.

Yet, as worded by Mr. Parsons, it's clear how much U2 mean to him. On his bucket list is to see U2 one more time.

A band that's over 3 decades in age, with the same line-up throughout, can still have albums sell in the millions and debut at #1 around the world. They can still have songs that chart around the world. They set records for their tours.

It's clear U2's fan base, even if slightly diminished over time, is incredibly strong. But why? To me, it's that unique combination of what U2 offers that cannot be found in any other band. It's that passion in the vocals; the chiming guitar; the sensual rhythms. The themes they discuss in their songs simply resonate. Even if the songs don't become huge hits, there's far more power in them compared to most "hits" today or in the past.

Neil McCormick recently stated that Coldplay is the band now for him (paraphrasing him significantly). I respect his views. But I have only heard ONE Coldplay song that remotely excited me ("Clocks"). Everything else I hear sounds like U2 or Radiohead. Nothing sounds fresh or original. Why listen to them when I can hear far better from U2 or Radiohead?

Still, Coldplay sells well and they have many fans. But they will never have what U2 has.

So I do hope that this "delay" really is nothing more than an album late this year followed by a tour in 2015. I also hope U2 gain some chutzpah and just release a quick follow-up album containing songs they rejected from Rick Rubin, Chris Thomas, Danger Mouse and anyone else. Let "Songs of Ascent" see at least some light.

And then let us - the fans - enjoy and evaluate it. Because while there is some absolute brilliance on the last 3 albums, I've also heard a lot of throwaway material that U2 of the past probably wouldn't have accepted. I doubt anything that has been "vaulted" is worse.

Lastly, U2 - let your creativity shine - not the hits. After all, those who love Pop and NLOTH don't do so because of Discotheque, GOYB or Crazy Tonight. They love those albums almost in spite of those songs.

Makes you wonder how many people will die between now and the actual release date.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

Makes you wonder how many people will die between now and the actual release date.

Yeah. It's not fair to put all of this on the band. Yes, there will be long-time fans who miss out on the next U2 album because of health issues, car crashes, and old age. But that's always going to be the case.

The band has a massive catalog of songs and has toured an incredible number of years and nights.

I'm really upset if it's true that there won't be an album for perhaps a 6th year. But in the end the band has given us all an embarrassment of riches. If they were to break up tomorrow and delete everything in the vault, we'd still have a collection of songs with quality and depth to put any other band in history to shame.

Yeah. It's not fair to put all of this on the band. Yes, there will be long-time fans who miss out on the next U2 album because of health issues, car crashes, and old age. But that's always going to be the case.

The band has a massive catalog of songs and has toured an incredible number of years and nights.

I'm really upset if it's true that there won't be an album for perhaps a 6th year. But in the end the band has given us all an embarrassment of riches. If they were to break up tomorrow and delete everything in the vault, we'd still have a collection of songs with quality and depth to put any other band in history to shame.

Plus, that individual could probably still channel the new album in the flash sideways world.

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.

What's the situation, contract wise, with what U2 are obliged to do at this stage? Do they have to release an album? It just seems too hard and if they are only putting themselves though what seems a painful process just to meet a contract then I actually feel sorry for them.

Seriously, they should break up. That said, OL and Invisible are perfectly serviceable songs in my view, but if they aren't happy well they should just call it a day.

I agree with this, and I said some time ago here, that U2 is in a unique position, probably the first rock band so situated, well, ever.

Certainly, there have been and are still bands who have been around 30+ years and still touring/making music. But of U2's stature? And trying to make relevant music that competes with contemporary artists (i.e. not just be a legacy act)? I don't think any band has ever been here before. My beloved Rush has been around as long as U2, and still are putting out music and touring, but they have absolutely no illusions or attempts at real relevancy or playing beyond their own fan base.

So in that way, I really, really admire these guys for what they're trying to do...stay vital and still compete in the arena. They may fail spectacularly, but at least they won't go into that good night quietly. As the biggest band in the world, fabulously wealthy, and as musicians whose legacy is assured no matter what they do from this point out, U2 is in the unique position of simeltaneously having everything and nothing to lose.

What the hell, since I already quoted Seneca:

Great post Nick. Reflects what I have been thinking for a while. I dont blame myself or anyone here for becoming emotional, or calling the band pussies in so many words because a U2 album means so much to us. They have been the soundtrack to my life and at this particular juncture I am experiencing, well, some tough times and this year will be one of the hardest if not the hardest in my life. So a U2 album to kind of accompany me would have been great.
But at the risk of sounding like someone who will blindly support anything the band does, I do appreciate what these guys do at this stage of their careers. All of you do realise that the band knows how unpopular this decision (if indeed it has been taken by them, I am still waiting for word from them) will he among the fan base. And I am sure they know this fan base is all important because lets face it, right now we are their world. I think, love it or hate it, the driving force of this band has been always to make music that is relevant and not just music for the sake of it. I love that they are legends but at the same time have retained the eagerness of teenagers whereas anyone in their position would have been 'okay this is what we are putting out take it or leave it'. The latter is the much easier route. I think a lot of us have gotten into the band because they cared and are sincere (not hot qualities in a rock outfit, which makes them and us equal misfits) and I am happy to know that that has not changed

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

How long passed between the band abandoning the Chris Thomas songs and releasing HTDAAB? Was that longer than 8 months? Why does the band have such little confidence they could do the same with so many songs already in the pipeline? How do they already know late 2014 isn't even a possibility?

For those of you who are screaming for U2 to retire or call it a day: The day they'll announce their splitting or that they won't be making music any longer will be the day all of you will be sitting in a corner crying your eyes out.

You hear that, people? You'll rue this day! Rue it, you hear?!

I agree with this, and I said some time ago here, that U2 is in a unique position, probably the first rock band so situated, well, ever.

Certainly, there have been and are still bands who have been around 30+ years and still touring/making music. But of U2's stature? And trying to make relevant music that competes with contemporary artists (i.e. not just be a legacy act)? I don't think any band has ever been here before. My beloved Rush has been around as long as U2, and still are putting out music and touring, but they have absolutely no illusions or attempts at real relevancy or playing beyond their own fan base.

So in that way, I really, really admire these guys for what they're trying to do...stay vital and still compete in the arena. They may fail spectacularly, but at least they won't go into that good night quietly. As the biggest band in the world, fabulously wealthy, and as musicians whose legacy is assured no matter what they do from this point out, U2 is in the unique position of simeltaneously having everything and nothing to lose.

What the hell, since I already quoted Seneca:

Their situation is unique.

They can't compete with younger bands though, because the desired younger fanbase isn't into a band like U2. Live, they will be a huge draw for years. Yes, they have a big legacy that won't be diminished.

With every passing year an album doesn't come out, they are going down quietly and eventually will fade out to the general audience because less and less people will care about a U2 record. Beyond the sucess of BD/Vertigo they are basically recording for the fanbase at this point.
And should this latest news turn out to be true, they will begin losin the hardcore fans. Those that signed up for the U2.com membership in hopes of a tour, and those tired of the waiting game for albums. There is everything to lose.

How long passed between the band abandoning the Chris Thomas songs and releasing HTDAAB? Was that longer than 8 months? Why does the band have such little confidence they could do the same with so many songs already in the pipeline? How do they already know late 2014 isn't even a possibility?

Steve Lillywhite to produce U2′s new album « U2LOG.COM - U2 news – From July 2000 till our moment of surrender They announced Lillyhite in February 2014, and the album was finished in July.

True, here in Norway invisible is invisible, have not heard it on radio yet, and most people dont know about that song, it just passed on in silence.
And i agree with you OL is better, it has the structure of a real organic song, invisible is just a mess.

Same thing here in Finland. I haven't heard Invisible on radio once. It was in
"Radio Rock's" "good or crap"-vote and 75% of listeners said crap. The highest it was on iTunes was #4. But it went away very quickly.

This fandom has been a great ride. I can't think of any other fandom that has had such a great ride ever. They are in uncharted territory, as are we.

Like others have said, I really admire how hard they are trying for us. I was initially angry and disillusioned at the delay, but now I have to admire how hard they are trying at this late stage of the game. Even if they fail, and the odds are certainly against a band in their 50's, they have given us a great ride. So many bands and artists have risen and fallen in the time I have been a fan, how amazing it is that nearly 40 years from their inception they are still together, creating music and swinging for the fences. Everything from NLOTH on is frosting really.

Ok, another solution. Bring on the deleted songs in digital stand alone songs just for their fanbase. This can be done without a lot of promotion. I hope they care about their longtime fans....

Doctor who:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonsKitten
*cough*NLOTH*cough*
Barring a few "off" tracks, I thought NLOTH was their best output since AB.

So no coughing for me.
Me,neither. :D

It's possile CK meant the #cough# as like when someone is reminding someone(s) while in a f2f convo (at the watercooler, or a bar etc) that - one "has forgotten" something important- as in this case-- NLOTH! :wink:

Here's a part of a link posted back some
< I just waded through these last 25 pgs so no I haven't tracked everything to a "t">

U2's tenacity and artistic daring pay off in Horizon's towering splendor, says Blender editor Joe Levy.

"It combines two moments: the epic grandeur of The Joshua Tree and the experimental audio research of Achtung Baby and Zooropa," he says. "They're at a point where they can be the biggest band in the world and still be edgy, with a capital 'E' in this case. They haven't come out swinging this hard and reaching this high since Joshua. On the surface,
it's classic U2. Put on the headphones, and you hear an album every bit as sonically ambitious as Achtung Baby."
Horizon's immediacy, nimble complexities and clear messages cement U2's standing as the only veteran rock band with consistent artistic relevance and commercial clout, he says.

Yes!
And I have posted that my 3 U2 masterpieces are JT/AB/NLOTH a bunch of times.

And more reccently I commented that NLOTH does seems to mix certain elements of JT & AB together. But then synergistically stand out on it's own.

In fact one of the few things they weren't (imo) able to punch as sonically in concert as the album reccording was the sheer shift into sonic "overdrive" from the rising from silence of a nearly single-note flare of the very first note that starts the begining of the Title track before it kicks into the stratosphere!

The NLOTH songs were fantastic live as well.
Only they let themselves or I wonder if McG added fuel to the fire - of going from being very postive, exuberent about it -- to the dispiritedwalk-back from not meeting "sales expections" to the "too esoteric" reccent quote from Bono. :| I for one was disapponited that I didn't hear NLOTH, Breath, UC again. bah
(tho I must say since I hadn't heard :heart: Zooropa :bow: live before - It pretty much compensated the absence of those other

I'm sort of disappointed but i really wouldn't mind the tour (at least for the USA - NE) be put off till 2015 (arenas say in ? March/April '15 after South America) in their later summer period, I believe).

I couild use the time to save more/pay off debt.

And as a visual artist (B&W, color drawing, sculpture, Artist Books, eventually painting again)who's been struggling for a long while with some major aspects of work I'm tryng to renew some, and start new ideas -- it can be very difficult.

And I have learned at times not to be a perfectionist while still striving to enjoy creating the best I can at the time. Tho some perfectionism has it's place. :D

ACrowely... I don't quite get it....
why would you want them to retire when they clearly still get so much from playing live!

SInce I was a serious Springsteen fan before U2 ( just by chronological emergence of the two at the time)... yes I know different since Bruce is willing (along with E St) to do a lot of change up in his various performances that u2 often lag in ......:lol: ...but still!

I beleive they still have the goods even if they maybe should get a bit ort iof their own way...but maybe it weill be fore the best

There's little I can say to those of you who practically "abosolutely" predict the new album is going to be meh to shite. :shnrug: :)

As the beloved Yogi Berra (RIP his wife :( ) has said.....
"it ain't over till it's over."

CMIS I don't know you at all till seeing some posts over the last month or 2 but I hope things...well, I hope you have the strength and support to get what you say will be one of the hardest years of your life.
I'm pretty sure i had wanted to comment on something in that post about U2 but al the time it's taken me to type this out it's very late here ...but that's what I remember at this point.

Nick66 good stuff in your most reccent (and i think the TR quote should help encourage meto keep pluging away in my creatitive life :) post.

And yes I have enjoyed relatively to real reccent music... I just have to remember to listen to the one University Station I can get a very good signal on, as well as a variety in the rock+orther music continium where I can actually here that kind of range!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom