Alan Light - A known "critic whose a u2 fan?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RademR

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
It seeems we've been getting all good reviews about the new album, but a lot have been from u2 friends or reviewers who have a history of loving every u2 album. From the main page, the article is written by Edna Gunderson (loves u2) but the description of the new album is from a different critic, Alan Light. Anyone ever heard of this guy?

A High-Stakes Music Season

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

........upcoming albums by U2, Eminem and Destiny's Child are expected to top the chart, reap fat holiday sales and drive traffic into stores.

"There isn't really any doubt about those three," says Alan Light, editor of music magazine Tracks. "At this point, I'm loath to say anyone is guaranteed a million-selling first week, given the way the world is, but Eminem is as much a lock for that as exists anywhere. And the others are big records that have been long anticipated and well set up. These are people who are not following fluke hits. They consistently deliver the goods."

U2, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (Nov. 23)

When the Irish quartet resurfaced in 2000 with "All That You Can't Leave Behind," singer Bono declared the album a bid to claim the title of world's greatest rock band. The band succeeded critically and commercially, selling 4.2 million copies to bring its album sales total in the Nielsen SoundScan era (since 1991) to 25.8 million. U2 stands to reaffirm its supremacy with the rock-solid Atomic, recorded in Dublin and France and produced by Steve Lillywhite, Flood, Nellee Hooper and others. First single "Vertigo" goes to radio Sept. 24.

"I'm very impressed," says Light, one of several critics who have heard "Atomic." "It's an exciting record. They got that place back, and they're still fighting for it. ('All That') won back and created a lot of fans. I have to assume a hunger is there. There certainly is anticipation."

releasing the CD the same time as Destinys Child and Eminem, thats a lot of competition for sales though :eyebrow:

Alan Light used to be the Editor-in-Chief of Vibe, then Spin, now he's the founder and editor of Tracks. He's definitely a fan of U2 and a reputable name in music journalism.

I don't think so Roland

If go to the RIAA site, you'll be able to see that U2 sold about 45 millions albums in the USA, I think they are in 23 place in the artists list of the major sellers in America.

That's the reason I think the news are about ATYCLB.

But I would like to see some confirmation about this.

FredReis said:
I don't think so Roland

If go to the RIAA site, you'll be able to see that U2 sold about 45 millions albums in the USA, I think they are in 23 place in the artists list of the major sellers in America.

That's the reason I think the news are about ATYCLB.

But I would like to see some confirmation about this.

This has already been covered in Peeling Off.... but in summary it's 25.8 million sales since 91 (as tracked by Soundscan) in the US. Most agree that this under-estimates all sales in US since 91 as sounsdscan didn't originally capture all of the market eg. record club sales.

Mike

mikeuk said:
This has already been covered in Peeling Off.... but in summary it's 25.8 million sales since 91 (as tracked by Soundscan) in the US. Most agree that this under-estimates all sales in US since 91 as sounsdscan didn't originally capture all of the market eg. record club sales.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike.

Over 10 years ago, I used to share a cubicle with Alan Light's then-girlfriend at the publishing company where I worked. One day, she was getting anxious because he was in Dublin interviewing Bono for Rolling Stone, and he hadn't called her like he'd promised. I told her not to worry, that they'd probably hit it off so well that they'd gone off to a pub after the interview.

Alan finally called about 2 p.m. EST, and sure enough--he was calling from a pub, where he was hanging out with Bono!

So, I'd say he likes U2.

I still have some questions...if you go to the RIAA site you'll see that in the 90's:
01) AB sold 8 millions
02) Zooropa sold 2 millions
03) POP sold 1 million
04) The Best Of 1980-1990 sold 2 millions
05) The Best Of 1980-1990 & B-Sides sold 2 million
06) ATYCLB sold 4 million

The amount will be 19 millions records, far away from 25.8 told in those news...I'm still confusing...

Please, help....

In the nineties, U2's back catalogue also sold a lot. Oh, and you're missing The Best Of 1990-2000 (2 million). If you add up all those numbers, you certainly get to 25 million and even more.

C ya!

Marty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom