Achtung Baby BOXSET reissue - Number 6 - THIS THREAD IS ÜBER DELUXE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dan_smee said:
Aussie fans, any news on JB HiFi?

I called on friday and they were pretty rude and told me they'd ring when it was in.

I asked when I was there Saturday since the website said the 28th and they said "call Wednesday". If I was you I'd order it from amoeba.com. Same price, only $6 shipping, and the last time I ordered from there (records and CDs) it came pretty quickly.

Hell's yes! that was epic.

And true it was too.

I already paid JB, so I may have to talk to them on friday if nothing comes up

Also Dan do you remember that thread where we successfully argued Bradman is the greatest sportsperson of all time? Good times.

I remember that thread, and I wouldn't necessarily say that you guys were "successful." There were good points made by multiple parties.

I quit arguing because I didn't feel it was worth it. That thread pissed me off.

Haha I'm just trolling dude. I thought it was a really interesting discussion, though my sporting patriotism may have clouded my judgement slightly. :wink:

Sorry if this was already discussed, but does anyone know why they put a live version of UTEOTW on the videos dvd instead of the actual music video.

After listening to the B-sides and other stuff CD for the last few days I just want to say that I am in love with Heaven and Hell. :)

After listening to the B-sides and other stuff CD for the last few days I just want to say that I am in love with Heaven and Hell. :)

Yeah, me, too. The demo versions that have been circulating for years now haven't done much for me, but I love the "current" version. And I really enjoy the company of Bono's inner devil :D

i agree this line is pretty good.

You liked the company of my inner devil
'Cause my inner devil could make you smile

i haven't decided yet if B is a little too wordy in this song. I like both versions.

Yes, Bono is quite wordy in these newly recorded songs, also in "Oh Berlin". Blow your house down and Heaven and Hell feature some really straight forward lyrics, something that I think is quite unusual for Bono's writing. It's interesting - and funny at times - but I generally prefer his more poetic and obscure lyrics.

Important notice for people who can't find it anywhere: you can order any version from amoeba.com (USA) with 15% off by using the code NOV15 at checkout.

You're welcome.

Yeah same here basically on the lyrics. To me Heaven and Hell sounds like he's got a bunch of lyric ideas and is cramming them all in, but hasn't really decided exactly what to narrow it down to yet. I always liked the old rough version and always imagined a really great finished version. It wasn't exactly this one!

i agree this line is pretty good.

You liked the company of my inner devil
'Cause my inner devil could make you smile

i haven't decided yet if B is a little too wordy in this song. I like both versions.

I agree it's a good line. I link it to what Bono says in FTSD about Ali telling him that he had become too serious and that he was much more mischievous and funny when they first met.

I still like the original demo better, but the lyrics of the new version are interesting, since Bono is looking back at his life at the point where he wrote the song.

Even in that line, the words "the company of" are unnecessary. That's five extra syllables.

If he was writing these lyrics while they were recording the music, he wouldn't be trying to force it so much.

Even in that line, the words "the company of" are unnecessary. That's five extra syllables.

If he was writing these lyrics while they were recording the music, he wouldn't be trying to force it so much.

I'm not sure that's fair, if you listen to the demo version on the working tapes, he puts lots of bongolese words into some of the line. I think the verbose nature of the song existed from the start, it has that vocal rythm.

U2 "HEAVEN AND HELL" from THE COMPLETE HANSA TON RECORDINGS BERLIN 1991 (audio only) - YouTube

I don't think it's the number of actual words that's the problem. It's the way it flows. I love the old version and have included it in mix cds. But even with the Bonogolese it had a pleasing flow. It just sounded great. It seems kind of awkward now.

I don't think it's the number of actual words that's the problem. It's the way it flows. I love the old version and have included it in mix cds. But even with the Bonogolese it had a pleasing flow. It just sounded great. It seems kind of awkward now.

Actually, I agree with that (and i think the same about the new blow your house down), but I don't know if I've just spent too many years listening to the original! I'm also annoyed that they have turned down Edge's great wah-echo guitar,

I do like some of the lyrics on the new heaven and hell, though. ok, they may be a bit clumsy, but they seem very sincere

So I received an email back from Universal regarding the Lithograph:

Hi,
Thanks for your email.
I can confirm that the lithographs were sent out separately by a different manufacturer. You should receive yours in the next few days.

I find that so strange, but I guess I will wait and see if I receive it. I'm pretty sure I read on u2.com from some other people that the lithograph was inside the box.

Galeongirl, any news on your shipment?

Back
Top Bottom