Abstaining from New U2: Give me a break!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I've been reading a few posts by alot of different people who say "oh, i'm not going to listen to any new U2 (or any u2 at all :wink: ) until the new album comes out. that way i'll totally be surprised when i first listen to the album, and i'll have such a better time then if i had heard the leaks!"

all i just say to myself, "oh, come on, please!" whatever, man. it is not going to make a difference whether you hear the leaks or not, everyone's still going to be blown away by the new stuff definitely. the excitement level is sort of like packing too much food on a road trip. theres all ready so much food (excitement and hype) that even if eat some, your still way above the mark and still have a ton of food left. Besides, the occasional McDonalds or 7-Eleven can always be a place to recharge, such as some old U2 albums (unless your not into that stuff until the new album comes out).

so come on. listen. as if you're "setting yourself up for dissapointment" if you listen now. at least the leaks give us a chance to find out if the album is a lemon or not (which it isn't, just because they wrote the song Love and Peace, which I say now will be the best song on the album).

whatever. listen to the leaks. buy the album. all's well that ends well

It's everyone's perogative what they choose to do with the new U2 and when they choose to hear it. I don't listen to leaks, and that is my personal choice. I will hear "Vertigo" when it debuts on the radio in a couple weeks.

There's nothing wrong with choosing to wait. Everyone has their reasons, and there is no right/wrong way to go about it.

I've heard several artists say they prefer that their fans don't listen to bits and pieces of a new album because they want the listener's first impression to be one they (the artist) intended.

Over the years I've heard several songs from an album and then purchased it and loved the album. I've also purchased albums without hearing anything from them at all...and loved them. It can work well either way (I don't personally like getting illicit material though). Still, nothing compares to listening to a great new album totally fresh. It's simply a glorious experience!

I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, it occurs to me that there might be something seriously wrong with my hearing, because I'm not hearing much of ANYTHING on those godawful clips, whereas other people are proclaiming this the best ever, writing down lyrics, saying it's the strongest song in 4 years, etc. I'm just blown away by those statements as all I'm hearing is Bono's voice intermittent with a whole lot of indistinguishable noise.

No thanks, I've given up on those until a real, listenable mp3 comes out. It's not gonna kill me to wait 3 weeks or whatever.

I think there are two parts of it actually being pointed out here.

1. Not listening to the new snippets or clips when they are leaked.

This one I can actually see, especially the clips part. I'm not sure what I will do when they leak, probebly what I did last time. Listened to a couple of them but not all and obviously I will hear the single Vertigo ahead of time. But I can see wanting to hear the entire album for the first time in one sitting. Pre internet thats how we did it! LOL I kind of miss those days actually. You didnt have the option. Went to store at midnight (or has a source who could get an advanced copy) and listened to it while reading through the sleeve and looking at the artwork.

2. Not listening to any U2 at all until the album. This one doesnt make any sense to me at all. What difference does it make? Each their own.

Bottom line is its everyones perogative. I do agree though, do we need numerious threads on this topic from either angle? Again, each their own, must be something to it as I posted on it!! LOL ;)

I listen to the "old" U2, less than I used to, but they're still around.
I listened to the 30 sec bits from ATYCLB and that didn't take away anything from the fact I enjoy that album a lot.
This time, I listened to the first leak (All because of you) and I decided I won't listen to leaks anymore. It's not that long till the first single now :hyper: And besides, the quality of that leak was just...ugh.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom