A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diemen said:

Despite my ever decreasing esteem for Elvis, I still don't think he is that stupid to take someone's word on THE EDGE posting here without any evidence.

If that in fact is really what happened, then Elvis is incredibly stupid.

But that's not what happened. :)

It was a yes or no question. :D

Heh. Given all the information that's already been floating around, my answer would be no.

If there wasn't so much information floating around, yes I would believe him, but no I wouldn't be happy or satisfied with that level of stupidity.
:)

Re: Re: Stories

martha said:

But which specific "media outlets" picked up the Edge business? u2live2001 said that the stories were "picked up." That's different than being googled.

I'd like everyone held to the same standards of truth and accuracy.
I guess I misunderstood your question....The FYM stories were not being googled...it was on their top headlines page.

As for Google picking up the edge stories, someone linked to googles cahce.

Elvis,

My biggest problem in all this is that this is the 2nd time this has happened just before an album and it apparently is part of the reason two people who helped make interference were let go. They apparently were the only two who were dead on right about the whole thing. That troubles me.

The fact that confidential information about two former mods was shared troubles me.

Any chance you all read our PM's too? I no longer feel I can use that feature because confidentiality does not seem to mean much.

I believe you are correct, no one is going to believe you at this point. Lock the thread.

Elvis,

Noone has asked you to fully disclose everything that goes on in private. I have no interest in reading personal conversations between you and other staff.

What we are interested in is an explanation of why you thought this was the Edge. Without skirting around the issue, why will you not give us this?

If people are truly sick of this thing and genuinely want to put it to rest (like it was said in the other threads, now closed) then why is it not evident in here? I'm through reading 43 pages long thread it made my eyes rolling and blurry ... and still it doesn't make any sense...

AH I don't have the intention to be mods crusader, I just plainly believe you were right to be like you are, and that you shouldn't be removed from admin without any legitimate cause. Though I am crusading for freedom of thoughts and expression in,-- Elvis' term--, real live .... here obviously is not a democracy. Democracy is the evidence of transparency, accountability, accurate and verifiable information, disclosure, public scrutiny ... etc etc etc

I support you as I support the truth and justice what can I say it's a part of me :)

I work in public sector and 'customer' don't pay for my services, but boy will I be slained if I release any document to the public without proper verification :)

This whole thing reminded me of this piece of Walsh final report on Reagan's Iran Contra Scandal in 1992 :

In his final report, Walsh simply criticized Reagan's role in overseeing "the creation of a false account of the Iran arms sales to be disseminated to members of Congress and the American people." The deposition then went into the secret files of the Iran-contra case.

Reagan's deposition was one of scores of Iran-contra documents that I requested that the National Archives process and release two years ago.

Initially, however, my request was turned down on the unusual grounds that Reagan's performance was so embarrassing that it would constitute a violation of his privacy. The National Archives reversed that decision this spring and made the deposition available in its entirety

The imponderable question from Reagan's testimony is whether the Alzheimer's disease truly had erased his recollections of the Iran-contra crimes or whether Reagan was taking advantage of his deteriorating memory to recall only the facts that he chose to.

Nevertheless, his limited responses and the diary entries left little doubt that Reagan was aware that his decision to ship missiles secretly to Iran through Israel was illegal.

But the wily ex-president also made the correct calculation that even if he were caught, he still would be able to fight - or to finesse - any legal consequences.

---------------- copyright of Consortium for Independent Journalism

I am out of here...

Hope all is well with everybody :)

Angel

Last edited:
FallenAngel said:
If people are truly sick of this thing and genuinely want to put it to rest (like it was said in the other threads, now closed) then why is it not evident in here?

Because some of us would like answers - proper answers - about how this could happen before this is put to rest? :shrug:

Honestly I can't even be bothered reading all the pages I've missed right now, mostly because like countless others have said, the questions aren't being answered. I've answered them for myself however and that's good enough for me.

But I do have to say that bringing up that "suicidal" issue..I don't see the "point" that was being made, and I think that's truly uncalled for. That is a deeply personal issue. Not naming names doesn't make it any more private or justify it, but then again, nothing's really ever private on the Internet, is it?

Last edited:
FallenAngel said:

AH I don't have the intention to be mods crusader, I just plainly believe you were right to be like you are, and that you shouldn't be removed from admin without any legitimate cause. Though I am crusading for freedom of thoughts and expression in,-- Elvis' term--, real live .... here obviously is not a democracy. Democracy is the evidence of transparency, accountability, accurate and verifiable information, disclosure, public scrutiny ...
Angel

Sorry FA! I wasn't terribly clear over in FYM. I was referring to the member nbcrusader because of his comment, shortening his name as I do to either crusader, or at times nbc.

:)

MrsSpringsteen said:

But I do have to say that bringing up that "suicidal" issue..I don't see the "point" that was being made, and I think that's truly uncalled for. That is a deeply personal issue. Not naming names doesn't make it any more private or justify it, but then again, nothing's really ever private on the Internet, is it?

Well according to Elvis the privacy of the person who pretended to be the Edge is much more important then the privacy of the two mods in question.

If I may offer at least one reason, me being hardly the sharpest claw in the paw, knew this was a fraud, yet Elvis didn't? He not only seemed incredibly wrong, but incredibly confused about the basics of science as an individual cannot change from one to another as Dalkey did.
In short, how Elvis can keep insisting he believed this is beyond many of us. I think Elvis's ego is no secret, so it begs the question, how did such a cocky and arrogrant bastard (and you know I say this with all the love my ole heart posesses Elvis) get so fooled?

It's the Twinkie/Wookie defence! It just makes NO sense.

Angela Harlem said:

and for what it's worth, i am not referring to ethan. i am referring to a usergroup which has one member in it. a member who has never posted. a member since 2002. a member with a rather strange remote IP like dalkey's.

The user 'intruder' has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Seriously, you have an overactive imagination and/or are just trying to grab at very short straws. Where in hell would you even make such an association? It's not only completely baseless, but I really wonder how you even came to such a conclusion/idea.

martha said:

Why does it matter how this could happen? What's it to you?

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but allow me to answer anyway.

This whole situation stinks. Given the evidence presented, to believe that Elvis and his content staff were duped by the faux Edge means that you would have to think that they are, at best, stupid. There was plenty of evidence at the time that showed that this poster was not the real Edge, but it was either stupidly ignored or intentionally ignored. A recounting of the chain of events (with some specifics) would go a long way in showing which was the case, which may be why the "document" that Elvis claimed to be working on days ago has not yet appeared. I think we deserve to know if we've been lied to or not.

Elvis said:

The user 'intruder' has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Seriously, you have an overactive imagination and/or are just trying to grab at very short straws. Where in hell would you even make such an association? It's not only completely baseless, but I really wonder how you even came to such a conclusion/idea.

Well what can you tell us about this member that she's referring to? If you're going to dimiss her claim competely out of hand then you should at least explain why it's impossible.

Angela Harlem said:
I think Elvis's ego is no secret, so it begs the question, how did such a cocky and arrogrant bastard (and you know I say this with all the love my ole heart posesses Elvis) get so fooled?

I guess you forgot the forum rules about personal attacks. You don't even know me other than on the 'net, and barely at that.

Elvis said:

I guess you forgot the forum rules about personal attacks. You don't even know me other than on the 'net, and barely at that.

How about answering her question?

ThatGuy said:

Well what can you tell us about this member that she's referring to? If you're going to dimiss her claim competely out of hand then you should at least explain why it's impossible.

Intruder was a user that registered, ON THE OLD FORUM, and was an error in the database conversion. Since the user hadnt ever posted, nor logged in in ages, I just left it. The user used an ATT dialup account (in the Los Angeles area) to register back in 2002. No other member ever has even had a similar IP range.

Dreadsox said:
Elvis,

My biggest problem in all this is that this is the 2nd time this has happened just before an album and it apparently is part of the reason two people who helped make interference were let go. They apparently were the only two who were dead on right about the whole thing. That troubles me.

The fact that confidential information about two former mods was shared troubles me.

Any chance you all read our PM's too? I no longer feel I can use that feature because confidentiality does not seem to mean much.

I believe you are correct, no one is going to believe you at this point. Lock the thread.

a) as I've already said elsewhere, it was NOT the reason the two mods were let go.

b) We've had lots of mods, it was an example to help people understand.

c) The two people came to me with their problems for help/advice as a personal friend. I wasnt sitting their reading PMs, nor do I ever. Do you think someone at Microsoft sits there and reads everyone's hotmail? I highly doubt it.. yet it's stored in an unencrypted database. I've commented earlier and been quite open with the fact that PMs are private, yet stored in a database (duh), and that I am the only one on staff that CAN access them if need be. 'need be' does not arise that often, but has when at times certain members of the forum have gone missing for awhile, people are worried about them, and ask me to look into it - this usually only comes from our team however. To be quite honest, I could couldnt care less about what people do or say with their PMs, they could as easily send an email, or IM.

And in reponse to FA's comment about Democracy....

Who ever said that this forum was a govt? Good lord. The forum rules/faq is posted, mods and admins are appointed positions, new features are suggested - not voted on.

I'm off to work, which isnt a democracy either. lol.

ThatGuy said:

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but allow me to answer anyway.

This whole situation stinks. Given the evidence presented, to believe that Elvis and his content staff were duped by the faux Edge means that you would have to think that they are, at best, stupid. There was plenty of evidence at the time that showed that this poster was not the real Edge, but it was either stupidly ignored or intentionally ignored. A recounting of the chain of events (with some specifics) would go a long way in showing which was the case, which may be why the "document" that Elvis claimed to be working on days ago has not yet appeared. I think we deserve to know if we've been lied to or not.

What evidence? an IP address? We've already addressed how IP addresses can be used, routed, etc. IP addresses can be very misleading if the person behind them wants them to be. Please read my earlier post about this.

And now.. again.. I'm off to work.

Elvis said:

What evidence? an IP address? We've already addressed how IP addresses can be used, routed, etc. IP addresses can be very misleading if the person behind them wants them to be. Please read my earlier post about this.

And now.. again.. I'm off to work.

More than IP addreses. Come on, Elvis.

ThatGuy said:

More than IP addreses. Come on, Elvis.

There are no facts besides IP at this point. If you can give me some other facts that are evidence I'd be happy to look them over.

And since people here like to get overly technical abot words...

Main Entry: 1ev·i·dence
Pronunciation: 'e-v&-d&n(t)s, -v&-"den(t)s
Function: noun
1 a : an outward sign : INDICATION b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter
2 : one who bears witness; especially : one who voluntarily confesses a crime and testifies for the prosecution against his accomplices
- in evidence 1 : to be seen : CONSPICUOUS <trim lawns ... are everywhere in evidence -- Amer. Guide Series: N.C.> 2 : as evidence

ThatGuy said:

I asked you to answer Ms Harlem's question upthread.

I'm not sure which you're talking about... but she references other people KNOWING it was a fake... and this goes back to the whole 'know','fact', 'evidence' comments I've made. I've not heard anyone tell me what they KNOW besides an IP address.

I'm late. I will be back tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom