A Dark & Atmospheric album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
I hope the new album will sound:
Dark, heavy (NOT to be mistaken with just a rock-distortion-guitar as in Vertigo) atmospheric, strong, more poetic, with a lot of space & reverb...

In other words: I hope the new album will sound a little like "Songs Of Faith And Devotion" by Depeche Mode.. (Flood's best work ever!) I mean that when it comes to the heaviness and atmosphere of the album. I'm NOT saying U2 should sound like DM or copy these songs! (In case some of you might misunderstand me at that point..)
Songs like "Walking In My Shoes" and "In Your Room" are just too die for :drool: !

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=v1s9nQRdewQ

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr-jhjnbWW4

Please just respond if you know this album! Not if you only think DM is just "Enjoy the Silence" or "Just Can't Get Enough"

agree - need something darker - last two albums have been a little softer in terms of lyrics/feel etc...

Yeah I know exactly what you're saying and they kinda already did it on Pop although not quite like Walking In My Shoes or In Your Room. Personally I love that sound to death but I don't want them to repeat the 90s either. Come to think of it, Hawkmoon269 sounds a lot like Depeche Mode... to me at least.

Anybody else tired of clicking on threads like this thinking it is going to be a bit of news on the new album, only to find it's just another "I hope the new album sounds..." thread?

Maybe it's just me.

I'm usually tired of these kinds of threads but I love DM and SOFAD to death so I couldn't resist posting. lol.

Zootlesque said:
I'm usually tired of these kinds of threads but I love DM and SOFAD to death so I couldn't resist posting. lol.

Same here, DM are consistently fabulous IMO. SOFAD is an amazing mood record, and really benefitted from live drums. As time goes on it's becoming more and more influential to both rock and electro groups...

I won't be surprised U2 does a complete roundabout with their music as history shows.

War to Unforgettable Fire.

Rattle and Hum to Achtung Baby.

Pop to All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Of course, there's no exact science.

Rich79 said:
Anybody else tired of clicking on threads like this thinking it is going to be a bit of news on the new album, only to find it's just another "I hope the new album sounds..." thread?

Maybe it's just me.

yup.

Rich79 said:

Maybe it's just me.

yeah, really annoying....more specific thread titles would eliminate this problem but people need the attention i guess :shrug:

anyway, yeah I agree with the OP, although I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in the lyrics of past 2 albums, but it's just time for a change of some sort...I dunno, lately I get the feeling I'm repeating stuff haha...it feels like I've said this before....dark, poetic, experimental, blah, innovative, blah, cohesive, Blah, BLah, BLAh, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!!!

:|

ok, new album please :waiting:

Haven't they done the dark and atmospheric album i.e. Achtung Baby or Unforgettable Fire? I know what you mean, that is a great DM album and it has some great songs.

I don't think U2 will be going back to that sound, they might think they have covered that before and at their age, I can't seem them making anything too heavy. HTDAAB had some rock songs, but I can't see them rocking out much more than Vertigo for example, considering they are all close to 50 years old now.

The again, if I hear any songs like Stuck In A Moment, The Hands That Built America, Crumbs From Your Table etc I would be seriously disappointed. They lack any excitement, any creativity or invention and just very lacklustre, not only on record but live.

Rich79 said:

Maybe it's just me.

Just what i was thinking!

t8thgr8 said:
the ! in the title kind of pisses me off

:lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

I can't believe you're saying that, I feel the same way hahaha.....it made the thread seem like breaking news on the new album...like, actually news....:lol:

onyourkneesboy said:

Please just respond if you know this album!

What if we know the album, but don't like it???

I'm a huge fan of Depeche, but "Songs of Faith and Devotion" is probably my least favorite album of theirs. ESPECIALLY coming off the *amazing* trilogy of "Black Celebration", "Music For The Masses" and "Violator". Each one of those albums by itself was, IMO, a trillion times better than SOFAD. And in their own quiet ways "Ultra" and "Exciter" are better albums as well.

It may be on par with some of the earlier albums, but definitely from "Some Great Reward" forward, SOFAD is the weakest DM album.

To me SOFAD is a mess. So, no. I don't want the next U2 album to sound like it, or be in the same vein.

Last edited:
Rob33 said:

:lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

I can't believe you're saying that, I feel the same way hahaha.....it made the thread seem like breaking news on the new album...like, actually news....:lol:

its crystal clear to me that its there to deceive

the most important breaking news I have on the new album is:

we will only know what it really sounds like when we fuckin' hear it!

what I can tell for sure, is that the songs from the new album, are nowadays being reshaped and re-edited to fit the novel medium of ringtone music, or as put in Bono's words:
"The ringtone is just brilliant, it is truely the epitome of contemporary pop culture, and we want to be a part of that happening, we wanna celebrate that, actually we've been wanting to do something like that for quite a while now..."
all the singles from the new album will be released as ringtones through exclusive agreements with national cellphone companies in respective countries.
the first single would be an upbeat rocky ringtone ("Speedo") selected to signify occasions such as incoming calls inviting to go out on a wild drinking evening, the second will be a touching morbid mourning ballad ("Sometimes you just can't take it anymore"), select ringtone for incoming calls anouncing future firing from job or death of a beloved pet, this will coincide with the release of the album in early November 2008, the album will be called "Chap" and the cover will feature Peter Rowan in a black bathing suit sporting a beer belly and a new fishing rod.
it will catapult to no. 1 on a zillion countries and be hailed as a sound return to form and "a resurrection of the creative hunger of the first half of the band's carrier" only to be bashed 3 years later by the same fans and critics as a lackluster, self-indulgent ridiculously pretentious effort in case the band goes on. the next two singtones (a term succesfully coined by Bono around January 2009) will be released during the year and a half long world tour that will start in Florida in March 2009, during the tour the Rolling Stones will anounce final disbandment, an urgent Press Conference would be held at U2's hotel on the tour's Mumbai stop, larry will release a clearly relieving sigh and claim the tour the conclusion of U2's career as a band, Bono will go open a fish farm in Kenya, Larry will open a plumbing service firm in Dublin, Edge will return to mumbai after the tour to compose scores for bollywood movies and Adam will go on vacation (again).

Rich79 said:

Maybe it's just me.

I thought this was a discussion forum so why can't someone post about what they would like on the next album?? is this not called discussion as well? if you want band news go to the news section:huh:

DM is DM, U2 are U2, making a dark album could very well not be as good as their previous work, DM did that because they are good on subjects about lifes dark desires "Precious" - Divorce, "Suffer Well" - Depression. U2 are more political so the songs could not mix well together (Dark & Heavy + Politics = Bad!)

I appreciate this topic - I use music to reinforce a mood sometimes, and it's interesting (for me) to hear what other fans are seeking emotionally from U2.

I'd like to hear something ethereal and deeply reflective from the band.

These are four older guys who have toured the world, who raise children, who came out of nothing. There's a certain maturity that comes with all of that, and I'd like to hear them start reflecting on lessons learned (lyrically and musically). I think this is a natural evolution that would take things to a whole new place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom