2014 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:love: Muller :love:

yipes at the two US players just knocking into each other. :yikes: That doesn't look pretty. Dempsey was diving before though, he hit himself in the face with his own hand, lol.

Portugal scored, 2-1. So the US is still advancing due to the goal difference with Portugal if this stays the way it is. Or portugal still has to score 3 more goals.

Blegh, princess scored. God I hope you guys advance over Portugal SO bad.

And now two goals would have to be scored before the US is out. Thank you, New York Times.

USA!(thank you Portugal for dragging USA carcass into next round) , USA!(thank you Portugal for dragging USA carcass into next round) , USA!(thank you Portugal for dragging USA carcass into next round) USA!

and USA did all this without their superstar

united_states_releases_23_man_fifa_world_cup_roster_landon_donovan_left_off_m14.jpg

There we go, congrats USA! :D You've done well kicking the princess out of the game. I'm happy Germany advances too though, they're my 2nd favourite team after my own country. :D

US even wins when they lose ;)
we call that, wait for it

American exceptionalism !!!

(American exceptionalism is a traditional belief - or theory - that the United States is qualitatively different from other nation states.[2] In this view, U.S. exceptionalism stems from its emergence from a revolution, becoming what political scientist Seymour Martin Lipset called "the first new nation"[2] and developing a uniquely American ideology, "Americanism", based on liberty, egalitarianism, individualism, republicanism, populism and laissez-faire.[3] This ideology itself is often referred to as "American exceptionalism."[3]

Although the term does not necessarily imply superiority, many neoconservative and other American conservative writers have promoted its use in that sense.[3][4] To them, the U.S. is like the biblical "City upon a Hill" — a phrase evoked by British colonists to North America as early as 1630 — and exempt from historical forces that have affected other countries.[5])

Wow, soccer/football is incredibly confusing. :lol:
What are you confused about? The scoring system?

Well, it starts with points, you get 3 for winning, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss. When teams are tied in points, like Germany and Portugal, the goal difference is what counts. In all the matches, Portugal scored 4 goals (2 vs Ghana and 2 vs USA) and gave away 7(lost 4-0 to germany, 2 from USA and 1 from Ghana). This gives them a goal difference of -3. While the US have scored 4 goals, they only gave away 4. Which makes their goal difference 0. So the USA advance. :)

If this is tied to, the amounts of goals scored for the team wins, otherwise it's a coin toss. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom