2011 Tour Rumours/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The GA line was pretty controlled in the US last year, and yeah, totally worth it. Red Zone was the best though, so convenient :). You'll have an awesome time.

3rd show for Perth would be brilliant. I would love it if they really push it in every city.

I'm also guessing that at some point there'll be a few Jay Z side shows announced - so don't get too excited every single time Live Nation winks at you.

I guess 90-95K for Sydney.

Pity that they won't be up for any attendance records at that stadium - the old Olympic configuration used to push close to 110,000 fairly regularly, and they still only recognise those results. Imagine that sold out for 360! 120K?

Old configuration:
sydney_aerial_olympic_stadium_l.jpg

New configuration:
sydney_telstra1.jpg

if they announce a third Melbourne show... it'll definitely be on the 4th won't it?

i have a $120 ticket to Stereosonic with all my mates... what the fuck am i going to do? :sad:

I have a ticket to see Muse in Sydney on Dec 9th which now clashes with U2 in Brisbane. The same thing happened in 2006 with Pearl Jam. Had to miss one of their shows (purchased before U2) since it clashed with U2. Looks like I'll need to find a home for my Muse ticket.

You know, the South Africa rumour actually makes sense. The tour ends in Perth on December and is likely to resume in March in South America. The major cost is not storing the Claw but transporting it - and the costs associated with sending it all the way from Perth to South America must be huge. So why not stop halfway and play a couple of gigs in South Africa?

I have a ticket to see Muse in Sydney on Dec 9th which now clashes with U2 in Brisbane. The same thing happened in 2006 with Pearl Jam. Had to miss one of their shows (purchased before U2) since it clashed with U2. Looks like I'll need to find a home for my Muse ticket.

i just feel like an obsessive idiot a bit... that's how my friends and family see it anyway.

if it does happen (in some ways i hope it doesn't, as a 3rd show may mean the 2nd show could be a repeat set?) i'll probably go to Stereosonic from 1ish till about 8 or something and then find my way to Etihad.

i'll be fucking exhausted after that weekend.

You know what would be cool...if the stadiums that do like tourist tours still did them in the days leading up to the concerts, like when the claw is being set up etc :D. Unfortunately I would presume such tours are out of the question those days.. :crack:

You know, the South Africa rumour actually makes sense. The tour ends in Perth on December and is likely to resume in March in South America. The major cost is not storing the Claw but transporting it - and the costs associated with sending it all the way from Perth to South America must be huge. So why not stop halfway and play a couple of gigs in South Africa?

that's very smart Axver! (you should go for a phd! :)

Do you know if it is transported by boat or by plane?

I think it's being transported by boat between continents. By plane would be way too expensive.
Between leg 1 (Europe) and leg 2 (North-America) it was transported by boat. Took about 2 weeks for everything to arrive on the other side of the ocean.

I've heard through some contacts in the music business side that it's happening in Feb, but lets not count our chickens here yet.

I was at the Cape Town POPmart show in 1998. We have bashed that stadium down and right next to it is a 65 000 seater, held the Holland-Uruguay semifinal at the Football World cup.

if it does happen (in some ways i hope it doesn't, as a 3rd show may mean the 2nd show could be a repeat set?) i'll probably go to Stereosonic from 1ish till about 8 or something and then find my way to Etihad.

Usually in cities with 3 shows, the 1st and 2nd will be like they are in any other city, then the 3rd will hopefully have a surprise or two, both in terms of order and song selection.

that's very smart Axver! (you should go for a phd! :)

I already am. :wink:

And Popmartijn's quite right, for the intercontinental legs they've been using boats.

South America but no Japan (while they're down there in Australia and New Zealand) ? Surely Japan has stadiums that can fit the Claw.

The problem for Japan is that it's massively out of the way, and the Claw won't be going near it. If the Claw is already going west from Perth to South America, why not off-set the transport costs a bit with a wee stopover in South Africa? On the other hand, when the Claw comes down from Europe to Australia, it'll be going nowhere near Japan ... and they'd need to find an indoor venue. Good luck with that Claw.

I think that if Japan gets any gigs, it'll be later next year, if Hawaii gets roped in to the North American leg. It's not as much a big deal to go to Japan and South Korea for a couple of gigs from there. I'm starting to think this tour is going to skip Asia, though.

If they are only playing the two rumored shows in cape town and johannesburg, then perhaps they can send two claws to s. africa, and one claw to japan, say two shows in yokohama stadium or the tokyo dome because of weather? after the japan show/s send the video screen by jet to south africa. seems logistical right?

Usually in cities with 3 shows, the 1st and 2nd will be like they are in any other city, then the 3rd will hopefully have a surprise or two, both in terms of order and song selection.

ok... i just hope it won't take away from the performance. it shouldn'. did you go (or anyone) go to the 3 sydney shows on Vertigo?

ok... i just hope it won't take away from the performance. it shouldn'. did you go (or anyone) go to the 3 sydney shows on Vertigo?

Yep, Sydney III was the best of the Sydney gigs, and second only to Melbourne II for the Aussie gigs. (Though I didn't go to Adelaide to compare.)

Still massively expensive ... still cold in Japan.

yeah i think you're right, other possiblity is maybe play japan, hawaii, right before the 2011 USA leg? still seems really expensive though just to play a couple shows somewhere. there was that rumor of south korea and japan.

Yes, third Sydney gig was the best. Maybe not technically better, but you got a better band - more relaxed, loose, way more energetic, pushing it a bit further etc. I remember Edge in particular going nuts in the last run of songs, more than the rest of the gigs combined. Bono is far more casual, interactive in a different way. They know it's pretty much just the faithful at a third gig, so there's a degree of 'pressure off', and they push it a bit further, fuck around a bit more, which of course = better gig.

Yes, third Sydney gig was the best. Maybe not technically better, but you got a better band - more relaxed, loose, way more energetic, pushing it a bit further etc. I remember Edge in particular going nuts in the last run of songs, more than the rest of the gigs combined. Bono is far more casual, interactive in a different way. They know it's pretty much just the faithful at a third gig, so there's a degree of 'pressure off', and they push it a bit further, fuck around a bit more, which of course = better gig.

And they messed up Party Girl :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom