2011 Tour Rumours/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think not having a gig on the weekend in Sydney is pretty strange though. Surely the scheduling would work for the stadium. It must have something to do with either the claw logistics or U2 themselves.

Can't see an extra Sydney show being announced for before the first show - as you point out, Saturday is a far more sensible night than Monday, so if they had a Saturday slot available, they would have announced it first and only resorted to a weeknight show if the first one sold out. Second Sydney, if it happens, will probably be the Tuesday.

I agree, although you could attach some logic to putting the 2nd gig earlier (on the weekend). Another way to look at it is: First show will sell out, no matter what. Second show? Maaaybe, if it's given every opportunity. Stick the guaranteed sell out on the awkward Monday, then give the tricky Second gig the free kick of the Saturday?

The South American (Latin American) dates are rumored to be announced this month of September and go onsale in October. Shows start in March 2011.

I think not having a gig on the weekend in Sydney is pretty strange though. Surely the scheduling would work for the stadium. It must have something to do with either the claw logistics or U2 themselves.

I agree, although you could attach some logic to putting the 2nd gig earlier (on the weekend). Another way to look at it is: First show will sell out, no matter what. Second show? Maaaybe, if it's given every opportunity. Stick the guaranteed sell out on the awkward Monday, then give the tricky Second gig the free kick of the Saturday?

That what I was thinking - a clever marketing tactic.

What about Japan??
:reject:

The thought I had is that maybe they want to play Japan next summer when it's warm out, so they can play an actual stadium. I know the Tokyo Dome is not a desireable place to see/play a concert, from what I've read anyway. Maybe right before the NA leg, for example? It's a stretch, for sure, but at this point it's about the only possibility Japan has left. I don't think the demand is there.

I don't think the demand is there.

Where'd you get this from?

35 million people live in the metropolitan area of Tokyo. Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto is 18 million. I imagine they can fill a stadium with 70-80 thousand people... But good point about the outdoor show, the 360 setup probably can't fit the Saitama arena where they played in 2006.

I'm going to Japan for 4-5 months next year, so I really, really hope the two will coincide...

These are the "rumored extra dates" I think with the size of the pitches and if they can sell out these shows they might give AC/DC a run for their money.

Auckland Nov 25,26
Melbourne Dec 1,3,4
Brisbane Dec 8,9
Sydney 13,14
Perth 18,19

Amazing that all shows are sold out! And great Perth got a 2nd!
But I'm doubting if there will be more shows announced. Since they opened sales for a 2nd Perth show immediately, I would have expected the same for additional dates in other cities... to me it seems that these are the dates and there will be no extra shows added...

oops.... should have checked the internet better. in the mean time every city has a second date announced...even Auckland....that's great!

that's 10 360-dates down under. Amazing!

All the cities got a second date ? That's probably a record for U2 tours in Australia/NZ (not counting Lovetown)....10 shows ?

These are the "rumored extra dates" I think with the size of the pitches and if they can sell out these shows they might give AC/DC a run for their money.

Auckland Nov 25,26
Melbourne Dec 1,3,4
Brisbane Dec 8,9
Sydney 13,14
Perth 18,19

Your rumour is looking dead on accurate:
Nov. 26 Auckland, On sale Sept. 9, 9am (FINAL SHOW!)
Dec. 03 Melbourne, On sale Sept. 10 – 9am
Dec. 09 Brisbane, On sale Sept. 10 – 2pm (FINAL SHOW!)
Dec. 14 Sydney, On sale Sept. 10 – 1pm (FINAL SHOW!)

Apologies for not believing you before. Tis a weird list of dates but absolutely accurate!

All the cities got a second date ? That's probably a record for U2 tours in Australia/NZ (not counting Lovetown)....10 shows ?

jep definately a record! Zoomerang/New Zooland 8 shows, Popmart 4 shows and Vertigo 9 shows...

So these 10 shows are a record, especially when you think of the fact these are in 360, so even more attendance!

The Lovetown tour wa shuge too of course!

:yes:

Posted this in the presale thread as well . . .

just received email from U2.com - subject line said presales would be Monday / Tuesday with further details to be emailed this weekend . . . :pray: I am not at work when the email arrives!!!
:hyper:

content of email below

THE U2 360° dates in New Zealand and Australia have sold out in record time and SECOND SHOWS have now been added this November and December.

Fans who missed out on tickets first time around will have another chance to see U2 360° with 2nd shows confirmed in Auckland on Friday, November 26th at Mt. Smart Stadium; in Melbourne on Friday, December 3rd at Etihad Stadium; in Brisbane on Thursday, December 9th at Suncorp Stadium and in Sydney on December 14th at ANZ Stadium. (A second show in Perth, on December 19th, has already sold out).

Tickets for the second U2 performance in Auckland go on sale this Thursday, September 9th. Tickets for performances in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney will go on sale this Friday, September 10th.

All U2.com subscribers who have not used their presale code to buy tickets at earlier shows, will qualify to enter a presale ahead of the public onsale for these second shows. Subscribers will be emailed this weekend with details of presale timings.

Interested in becoming a U2.com subscriber ? Here's all the details you need - including first news of 'U2:Duals', a limited edition CD featuring U2 collaborations with other artists, recorded over three decades.

Check it out and see you on the road....

best wishes
The U2.com Team

NB With the band touring Europe at the moment, we've just launched a special European merchandise store. Take a look.

SHARE THIS EMAIL:
FacebookFacebook TwitterTwitter LinkedInLinkedIn DiggDigg MySpaceMySpace

Damn these on sale times really aren't a help. I'll have trouble working this out with work!

me too . . . kinda hoping it starts on Tuesday . . . will give me time to schedule an off site 'appointment' :wink: :lol:

:lol: hmm well I'm going to have to deal with a general sale or if someone passes on a live nation code again. :stressful:

Live Nation has said they'll have another presale. Last time they made the presale code publically available on their Facebook page, here Live Nation Australia & New Zealand | Facebook

I think it's much better to use this presale & pick & choose your seats, or get GA's pretty easy. Much better than fighting it out in the general sale, with Ticketek crashing. Then you've got to pray for GA's, or take any seats that are offered.

If LN doesn't offer their code to everyone on FB again, I'll see what I can do without braking the rules & upsetting the Mods :wink:

jep definately a record! Zoomerang/New Zooland 8 shows, Popmart 4 shows and Vertigo 9 shows...

So these 10 shows are a record, especially when you think of the fact these are in 360, so even more attendance!

The Lovetown tour wa shuge too of course!

Yeah, it's the biggest since Lovetown, which had a whopping 27.

Let's not forget the UF Tour, though - U2's first visit was for 19 shows.

Your rumour is looking dead on accurate:
Nov. 26 Auckland, On sale Sept. 9, 9am (FINAL SHOW!)
Dec. 03 Melbourne, On sale Sept. 10 – 9am
Dec. 09 Brisbane, On sale Sept. 10 – 2pm (FINAL SHOW!)
Dec. 14 Sydney, On sale Sept. 10 – 1pm (FINAL SHOW!)

Apologies for not believing you before. Tis a weird list of dates but absolutely accurate!

That's cool:) I checked this out on the live nation australia & NZ page as well and notice how Melbourne does not have the (FINAL SHOW!) after it, suggesting that they may add another show on the 4th if the 2nd one sells out quick as well..:)

so comparitively though, did they play to more people on the Lovetown / TUF tours . . . given that the venues they played were much smaller than the Stadiums they are playing in this time around? just curious . . . and way too hungover and lazy to search / do the math myself :reject:

a third Melbourne show... i'll have to declare bankruptcy.

what about the u2.com presale :scratch:

doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet . . . if alan bond and christopher skase can come back from bankruptcy then so can you (and me, and half of the craic :lol: ) :wink:

and as for the presale, methinks he is not a member . . . yet :)

That said, Lovetown and UF tour were arenas...will/does Lovetown have the record attendance overall for Australian U2 tours, or will 360 have that title ?

Yeah, Lovetown may have almost three times as many gigs, but 360 will wallop it for attendance. Think Vertigo has its nose ahead of Lovetown too.

Of course, the big question is: could Lovetown have done even more had it been in stadiums? U2 were never more popular in Australia than in 1989 and every show sold out; they could've added plenty more. If they had done stadiums, I reckon they probably could've done 3-4x stadium gigs in Sydney and Melbourne, and 2x in the other major cities.

Yeah, Lovetown may have almost three times as many gigs, but 360 will wallop it for attendance. Think Vertigo has its nose ahead of Lovetown too.

Of course, the big question is: could Lovetown have done even more had it been in stadiums? U2 were never more popular in Australia than in 1989 and every show sold out; they could've added plenty more. If they had done stadiums, I reckon they probably could've done 3-4x stadium gigs in Sydney and Melbourne, and 2x in the other major cities.

:up:

yeah I was thinking along those lines (in my head, where sometimes useful things happen) . . . suprised that Vertigo would only just nudge it for attendance though . . . weren't all Vertigo shows a sell out???

Lovetown was a brilliant time to be a U2 fan :heart: . . . so much U2 love it was ridiculous . . . *traipses down memory lane* . . . left a HUGE hole in my little life when they left that is for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom