2010 Leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang, so are we expecting an announcement soon? Glad to see stubhub has Philly on there!

This seems so early? But I'm excited nonetheless. I'm sure I'll hit up at least two shows next year, Probably Philly and then maybe Detroit since I used to live out there and haven't visited in years... U2 is a good excuse.

Seems like two shows in Philly and none in Baltimore woulda made more sense.

SMB

The stadium in Philadelphia is too big for TWO 360 shows back to back there. Philadelphia is not New York City or Chicago. Playing a show in Philadelphia at the 68,000 capacity Lincoln Financial Field and playing a show in Baltimore at the 68,000 seat M&T stadium makes more sense because the single Philly show should sellout easy pushing people into the Baltimore market to help that show fill up or sellout.

Since DC isn't sold out this leg, why would they play Baltimore. Baltimore is close to Philly too. Only about 2 hours away.

Because DC has the largest stadium of the tour, 92,000 capacity and its almost soldout. The M&T Stadium in Baltimore only has a 65,000 capacity. Another factor is that they will only play one show in Philadelphia which won't satisfy all the demand in the Philly market which means many will travel to Baltimore for the show there.

So, Baltimore has a good chance of getting a show because it has a smaller stadium than FEDEX FIELD in DC, and will benefit from the overflow of demand in the Philadelphia market. Plus, there will not be any shows in Virginia North Carolina, or South Carolina. For people in those states who want to see U2 in 2010, Baltimore would be their closest option.

Chicago will not get another show. Instead they will play Madison and St. Louis. Instead of Boston, they will play Hartford.

The only markets I see them repeating are NYC and LA. LA will probably get another stadium show, although not at the Rose Bowl.

Montreal
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Minneapolis
Madison
St. Louis
Detroit
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Hartford
New York City
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Miami
Denver
Salt Lake City
Seattle
San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco

20 shows in 20 markets.

Considering they're playing Charlottesville and Norman, don't you think they will visit some similarly smaller markets on the second leg as well? The rumored show in East Lansing seems to fit that theory.

Considering they're playing Charlottesville and Norman, don't you think they will visit some similarly smaller markets on the second leg as well? The rumored show in East Lansing seems to fit that theory.

Maybe, but many of the above cities are kind of must do, in that they never get skipped on tour. They might go places that have had a history of drawing large numbers of people to shows, even though they might be regarded as small. Norman had the Stones back in 1997, and Charlottesville has done well with the Dave Matthews Band, although its their home town I think.

Has East Lansing ever had a concert with over 50,000 people in attendance?

Maybe, but many of the above cities are kind of must do, in that they never get skipped on tour. They might go places that have had a history of drawing large numbers of people to shows, even though they might be regarded as small. Norman had the Stones back in 1997, and Charlottesville has done well with the Dave Matthews Band, although its their home town I think.

Didn't the Stones play Spartan Stadium back in 1994? Although they probably drew a number closer to 30,000.

Dave Matthews Band is from Charlottesville

Didn't the Stones play Spartan Stadium back in 1994? Although they probably drew a number closer to 30,000.

Your correct.

The Rolling Stones
September 9, 1994
East Lansing, Michigan
Spartan Stadium
GROSS: $2,128,825
ATTENDANCE: 47,797
Average Ticket Price: $44.54

Then later in December on the same tour:

The Rolling Stones
December 1, 1994
Pontiac, Michigan
Silverdome
GROSS: $1,815,325
ATTENDANCE: 38,274
Average Ticket Price: $47.43

Interesting that East Lansing beat Pontiac which is in the Detroit metro area for attendance and gross.

Your correct.

The Rolling Stones
September 9, 1994
East Lansing, Michigan
Spartan Stadium

The Rolling Stones
December 1, 1994
Pontiac, Michigan
Silverdome

Interesting that East Lansing beat Pontiac which is in the Detroit metro area for attendance and gross.

You probably had students going, and it's possible that that show drew people from the west side of the state. They might have gone to that one, instead of the Pontiac show since it is closer.

After seeing The Claw in Chicago, there is no way they can play in Michigan unless they do East Lansing (I think Michigan Stadium is too big). That is of course assuming they use The Claw again.

Cincinnati? YES!!!!!!

I'm SO going to that show if it indeed does happen. We'll be able to leave my son at home with his grandparents and I can take my wife to her first ever U2 concert!

Your correct.

The Rolling Stones
September 9, 1994
East Lansing, Michigan
Spartan Stadium

The Rolling Stones
December 1, 1994
Pontiac, Michigan
Silverdome

Hmm, that is pretty interesting. Seeing as how the shows are three months apart, there's a good chance they announced the East Lansing show before the Pontiac show, so people assumed the East Lansing one was the only show in Michigan....which later deflated demand for the Pontiac show.

I imagine that stadiums with "low" ceilings like Ford Field, Detroit or Olympic Stadium, Montreal will get shows. I'm sure they could find a way to make the stage fit in these venues, since Detroit and Montreal are sure to attract a lot of people, especially if they don't return to Toronto.

Please remember that they can shrink the claw if needed!

The steel Claw structure doesn't get any smaller, but yes, Willie noted in his diary that they had to shorten the central pylon for the Cardiff show:

Down at the stadium everything was more or less assembled, though due to venue having a rather low, retractable roof, we had to leave off the top ten metres of the spire, including the high mirrorball, which was a bit of a drag.
... especially since they ended up playing the show with the roof open. :doh:

This is how several websites (I only posted the ones that were repeted on many sites) have it layed out

June 19th -- Seattle, WA -- Qwest Field
June 22nd -- Oakland, CA -- Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
June 25th -- San Diego, CA -- Qualcomm Stadium
June 28th -- Denver, CO -- INVESCO Field

July 03rd -- Green Bay, WI -- Lambeau Field
July 06th -- Pittsburgh, PA -- Heinz Field
July 08th -- Detroit, MI -- Ford Field
July 10th -- St. Louis, MO -- Busch Stadium
July 20th -- Philadelphia, PA -- Lincoln Financial Field

SMB

I find it very difficult to believe that the St. Louis venue would be Busch Stadium (a baseball park with a natural surface) instead of the Edward Jones Dome (a domed football stadium with an artificial surface), especially if the show is going to take place in the middle of the 2010 baseball season.

Also, in regards to Wisconsin, Madison or Milwaukee would make for a much better concert location than the smaller (and much more conservative) Green Bay (although Bono is reportedly a casual Packers fan).

I find it very difficult to believe that the St. Louis venue would be Busch Stadium (a baseball park with a natural surface) instead of the Edward Jones Dome (a domed football stadium with an artificial surface), especially if the show is going to take place in the middle of the 2010 baseball season.

Also, in regards to Wisconsin, Madison or Milwaukee would make for a much better concert location than the smaller (and much more conservative) Green Bay (although Bono is reportedly a casual Packers fan).

when they renovated Lambeau Field in 2003, they said they were going to try to bring in some big name acts, which they've yet to do. but now i wouldn't be surprised if they tried to pull it off. any revenue that Lambeau and the Packers could make would help with the upcoming uncapped year.

hint from u2.com

I got an email from u2.com today and at the end of it this is what it said....

"That's it for now, enjoy the site - and here's a big hint.... you might want to check back on U2.com in the next few days for some pretty exciting news! (Our lips are sealed...)"

so hopefully this is about new dates for next year!

If it is an announcement for new dates they probably won't go onsale at least for another month after anyways.

no, he's not.

Yeah. Maybe Dates this weekend. on sales in November (Holidays :) ) Yessah. Montreal... Montreal... Montreal... I got the e-mail a couple days ago

SMB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom