2 types of fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: 2 types of fans

rjhbonovox said:

Hey don't understand this. You have lumped the verrrrrrrrry safe ATYCLB with the verrrrrrrrrrrry exciting POP. The two types of fans are mainly group B 80's & 00's, and Group A the "real" 90's fans!

What about the Group AA "real" entire catalog fans! (except for some of Rattle and Hum, just kidding, but not really)

I'm a new fan, and I can find something about every single one of their albums that I love. I don't have a least favorite album. I'm pretty easy to please :).

That being said...

dandy said:
anyone who enjoys u2's music, be it 'boy' or 'all that you can't leave behind', or whatever, qualifies as a 'fan'. we're all individuals, that's why we have such diverse tastes even within the u2 catalogue, and we don't fit neatly into categories.

:up:.

Angela

there is just so much that brings all of us together, ie. the fact that we love the FREAKIN BEST BAND EVER!!!! so I dont see why we should argue about who is a "real fan"

I reckon its probably great to be a new U2 fan cos thats who they are targeting at the moment.

it depends on what you mean by "new" . . . I've been a fan for four years now but still consider myself to be relatively new, but then compared to my friends (who are not fanatical U2 fans) I'm a all-knowing U2 freak

firstlove said:
it depends on what you mean by "new" . . . I've been a fan for four years now but still consider myself to be relatively new, but then compared to my friends (who are not fanatical U2 fans) I'm a all-knowing U2 freak

Since 2000 I mean.

I don't believe U2 is targeting any specific type of fan. I think they are finally comfortable in their own skin, so they can go back and play songs that remind people of an earlier era.

Each era of U2 (the three album eras i.e. Boy - War; AB - Pop) has seen the first album establish a starting point and then the following two albums progress from their.

I'm not a fan of any set era, but I have certain albums I find particularly pleasing. War, JT, AB, HTTAAB. But do I dislike UF, not at all. Do I hate Pop, some songs are a bit fuzzy and unfocused, but it's an intense, upbeat album. How about Rattle and Hum? Too disjointed, but I love most of the songs on it.

The 80's were great, the 90's exciting, the 00's are fun. There are no "real" U2 fans, and if you don't like this album or that, but you love that album and this one you are still a real fan either way.

Mmmm...

I´m a third kind of fan, really :wink:

I´m not new, I´m not old neither ( I´ve been U2 fan for 15 years, but I´m not even 30, so I´m not "old" at all, but I´m not a new U2 fan neither ):eyebrow:

I do like October, I love Pop :heart: but I hate ATYCLB :down: :tsk:

So I´m really a third kind of fan :shocked:

What about the kinds of fans that don't give a shite about categorizing themselves? What about the fans that like EVERY U2 album? What about the fans that think Bono is really hot? :wink:

AtomicBono said:
What about the kinds of fans that don't give a shite about categorizing themselves? What about the fans that like EVERY U2 album? What about the fans that think Bono is really hot? :wink:

Hey, that's me!

Well, except thinking that Bono is really hot. Up until the last couple of years, I would have agreed with that, too. :ohmy:

AtomicBono said:

That's group AA, except for the Bono part.

The OOTS said:
I'm an old fan and I like ALL the albums.
I just have to be in a 'mood' to enjoy some of them.

It's true for me too:
I like all the albums and I usually love 4-5 songs off each album but there are moments when a song which did nothing to me resonates in a magic way (for example that gem that it's "The wanderer")... ...the "right mood" is the keyword

I didn't say October has anything to do with Pop / ATYCLB. But I noticed that a lot of new fans very much like October, while old fans (and even U2 themselves) think it's their worst album ever.

But even that's not the point. It is, that 'old' fans think they're the real fans, making fun of people who DO like their new albums. Making that statement, I just created an example saying there are 2 types of fans. But that example was just for illustration.

@the people saying "I get sick of this kind of threads":
if there are so many of these threads, don't you think there's a reason for it? Yes. It's the arrogant people thinking they're the real fans. :)

Well, I'm an "old" fan, and the only album I didn't really enjoy particularly was "Rattle And Hum".

It might have taken me some time to warm up to some of the others, but I really do like the rest of them.

WalkOn21 said:
But even that's not the point. It is, that 'old' fans think they're the real fans, making fun of people who DO like their new albums.

So rjhbonovox, U2_Guy, and ponkine are the only 'old' U2 fans?

I think waaayy too many people worry too much about what kind of fan other people are, or what other people think. Like what you like and dislike what you dislike and don't worry what anyone else thinks. It's only music. Enjoy it any way you want to.

indra said:
I think waaayy too many people worry too much about what kind of fan other people are, or what other people think. Like what you like and dislike what you dislike and don't worry what anyone else thinks. It's only music. Enjoy it any way you want to.
Well I'd love that. But some people seem to think you're stupid if you like ATYCLB and the like.

Oh come on!

October is far better than Unforgettable Fire in my opinion, and I don't care if you're "old" or "experienced", I like it better, dig it. I think Pop is better than War, I'm not so sure about All That You Can't Leave Behind though.

It's very biased to say "new and old" fans.

Basically though, am I right if we are all either pro-80's or pro 90's?
I mean, you have to like one of them best. There is always one you prefer, no?

God Part III said:
Basically though, am I right if we are all either pro-80's or pro 90's?
I mean, you have to like one of them best. There is always one you prefer, no?

um, no. i am a u2 slut, i love both eras for different reasons.

Back
Top Bottom