(11-19-2004) U2, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - SMH*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

By Bernard Zuel

Years at the top haven't dampened the band's passion or innovative spirit.

U2, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (Universal)

It's sobering for some at the older end of the music fan spectrum - those for whom it comes naturally to declare the Rolling Stones or the Who to still be the greatest rock band in the world - to recognise that, while those bands have kept touring, their years of writing and recording music that sounded fresh and still mattered lasted little more than a decade.

Compare that with acts such as Midnight Oil, Neil Young, Elvis Costello and David Bowie, whose years of making vital new music went, or are still going strong, into their third decade.

U2 are another one. Nearly 25 years after their debut, they've made How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, an album that bristles with energy and passion, that is still striving for something new to say and different ways of saying it. It isn't without its problems, but it feels alive rather than timelocked and contractually obligated.

Probably not coincidentally, the album's most noticeable element is the reinvigorated love of The Edge for his guitar and its possibilities as a noisemaker. On Love And Peace or Else, he cranks it up into a glam weapon, all stomp and slash; in the opening track, Vertigo, it delivers the kind of power riff he has never really assayed, not even on October; on All Because of You, he sends little sirens rippling out; while in Crumbs from Your Table, and particularly Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, the echoey chimes will be familiar to anyone who bought a U2 album in the 1980s.

The emotional heart of the album is Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, a song written before but recorded after Bono's father died. It is one of those grand, reach-for-your-heart ballads that have dotted U2's career (there's another example later, One Step Closer) with some of Bono's most unadorned and direct lyrics about a complex and difficult, but vital, relationship.

Oddly, though, if we were to do a U2 album checklist - got the drive and rhythm; got the ballads; got the signature Edge atmospheric guitar; got Bono in husky form - one thing we'd not be able to check off is choruses. Save for one or two tracks, these are songs in search of a centrepiece, a pay-off.

Often, just when things look ready to soar, they turn inwards or extend the tease. It isn't fatal but it is nobbling, enough to mark this as a solid but not top-drawer U2 album.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/CD-revie...b/2004/11/19/1100838208347.html?oneclick=true

Now..I'm very confused by this review. He set it up that it would be a good or maybe great review..then he lowers the boom. :madspit:

Where are the choruses??? Hello!! I can't help but think that half way thru bernard's review that he got a case of the runs or small penis syndrom perhaps.

U2 certainly knows how to set up a song..they make you want the full-on chorus before they deliver it..and at the end of the song they leave you wanting more.

I think it's too early to say HOW GREAT the album is or isn't...but I like it.:wink:
So far, for me Miracle drug is awesome, city of blinding lights, All because of you are great tunes. Original of the Species is a beautiful tune in which U2 wastes no time to get to THE CHORUS! And, Crumbs from your table is becoming a favorite-emotional '3 to a bed,sister says...' God, people need to know what this song's about. (Let's pray for the world to heal)

These songs are crafted for sure. They have a real sense of movement to them. And U2 now have a really heavy bag of tools to use when they need them, along with the sense to always want more.

So, let's all sit back, listen, and absorb what's really going on in this music.

Last edited:
This album, if anything, is TOO chorus oriented. Methinks the reviewer hasn't listened enough.

After only 3 listens to HTDAAB, I would tend to agree with the reviewer. However, I would not view this as a weakness but as a strength. I have a feeling that this album in layered in a way, that it does not give everything to you at one time--a "sharp corus" or "musical signposts". I think this aspect of HTDAAB will only add to its longevity aiding its stand for the test of time.

This album grows on you. You "like" it at first. Then after awhile you don't know what you have done your whole life without this album. Maybe that's a stretch, but i don't care. At first I didn't think they had big choruses either. But now i really appreciate the center pieces of the songs. Crumbs is an amazing example of this.

I agree with the Review and with StuTV. It's both a critisism and a complement, as far as I'm concerned...

Very strange review i think. HTDAAB has choruses all over. If you don't hear that, you're either deaf or don't know what a chorus is.
Maybe the album needs some more listens to understand.

Back
Top Bottom