(11-01-2006) U218 Singles (and Tracklisting) - Yahoo!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U218 Singles

U218 Singles Will Be Released on November 21, 2006

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- U218 Singles is the first single disc collection to span the band's career from Boy (1980) to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004). Also included are two tracks recorded last month with producer Rick Rubin at Abbey Road Studios in London: The Saints Are Coming (with Green Day) and a new, previously unreleased track Window In The Skies.
U218 Singles will be released on CD and 12" vinyl and as a full length DVD featuring the single promo videos. The collection will also be available as a limited edition CD with a bonus DVD of 10 tracks recorded live in Milan, Italy on the Vertigo//05 tour.

The full tracklisting is as follows:
1. Beautiful Day
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
4. With Or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year's Day
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
9. Where The Streets Have No Name
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Walk On
15. Elevation
16. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. Window In The Skies

U2 will be back on tour in November and December, with shows in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii.

Source: Interscope Records
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061101/law139.html?.v=15

U218 Singles is the first single disc collection to span the band's career from Boy (1980) to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2004).

Well for that to be the case it would have to actually include a song from Boy which this fails to do. Unless of course you get the U.K. edition with the 'bonus' track.

For everyone else you get the hidden track: Which is the sound of the record company dropping the ball.

Yeah. I think they did a good job of selecting tracks. My only quibble is that "I Will Follow" and "All I Want is You" are not on the collection. Seems to me they will stand the test of time longer than "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own", "Elevation", and "Walk On". Seems like this is the band trying to convince itself that their newer songs are as important as their older ones

LAME

Who here isn't suprised that Zooropa and Pop are not represented on this compilation at all? Elevation? Come on...Discotheque was a successful single as was Stay.

2 things.....first, U2 have 11 studio albums, and 4 of them are completely unrepresented here. How did ATYCLB get 4 tracks and I Will Follow didn't even make the cut. I mean, AB and JT only have 5 TOGETHER.

Second, who here is a member at U2.com, who recieved Communication as a "fanclub only" release, and who feels absolutely ripped off now that its practically available as a bonus disc for this craptastic release.

Shameful.
~A.j.~

fandangamoq said:
2Second, who here is a member at U2.com, who recieved Communication as a "fanclub only" release, and who feels absolutely ripped off now that its practically available as a bonus disc for this craptastic release.

Shameful.
~A.j.~

Just watch. Next year they'll announce that the rest of the Milan concert will be made available to those U2.com members that renew!!!:madspit:

Clark W. Griswold said:
10. Sweetest Thing

weak

No kidding. That song was a piece of fluff. Kinda fun maybe, but that's it. If they think it is so great, how come they never play it after the first leg of the Elevation tour?

With or Without You right into... Vertigo! Talk about a jarring transition.

whew.

2 from achtung
4 from atyclb
0 from Zooropa, Pop, Boy, October, Passengers

a near decade gap (1991-2000)

hold me thrill me was a bigger song than sweetest thing.

i don't want to complain too much here, because it really doesn't matter at the end of the day, but i really think that at least 1 track from every album should have been included (with the possible exception of October) and Atyclb is a great album, but it doesn't deserve 4 tracks on a 16 track (not counting new songs now) collection spanning a 25 year music trek.

Discotheque
Stay

the omission of those two songs is flat out criminal. The inclusion of Sweetest thing and Stuck in their place is even worse.

especially after their book, which covers their whole career. that is a large portion of the book with no representation.

like i said, who really cares? but still, it would have been nice to see a "career spanning" 1980-2006 hits collection rather than a
"Best of 1983-1991 / 2000-2006"

sorry, but that is quite a gap. to the average joe it looks like U2 vanished for a decade and made some huge comback, like Meat Loaf or Cyndi Lauper or some other lesser talent (no offense to the Meat and Cyndi fans out there)

you know... this is that same dumb tracklist floating around from the uninformed source earlier...

i'm gonna wait until U2.com announces the official info before i go too nuts here. what we have here, it seems, is the modern day internet site reporting on other internet site phenomenon...

with nobody really checking their sources.

I'm not holding my breath for pop or zooropa, but i really can't imagine this cd without i will follow and 4 from atyclb with only 2 from achtung.

i mean, look at their nightly setlists... achtung ALWAYS gets more representation than anything else...

I think the tracklisting is okay, like I expected, no big surprises, it's okay for a Best Of anyway.
What I am looking really forward is the Live DVD.
But I am a little confused about that: Is it right that there will be no Live CD but a Live DVD from Milan instead? Because there is a Limited Edition of U2 18 on Amazon and it says Double CD. The regular edition is only one CD. Nowhere it says anything about a live DVD. Maybe someone could help me out?
Anyway, I am quite excited about this release and also the new song.

aussiedge said:
pfff..won't be buying this one, and normally i buy everything U2 on the day of release

Agreed mate.
I don't mind I will Follow not being on there, but 4 tracks from ATYCLB is a bit lame. If Walk on is so great why haven't they been playing it live? Plus putting a cover version on is something I can't put my head around, ar they saying it's their 18th best song? Ok, I'm sure they're not saying that but even so I think it's lame. Stay, EBTTRT and The Unforgettable Fire should be there. I will buy it eventually probably to get the live dvd.

It must be indeed a tough job to compress a 26-year-long career into 16 songs. but where's All I Want Is You? Stay? Staring At The Sun?????????

But screw it, I'm still gonna go and buy the one with the DVD Milan bonus as well as the DVD of videos...

ill probably just download it off a torrent, and they could have easily crammed a few more songs on there. this is just a grab for cash, either by U2 or their record company, whoever that is this week..

Stop bloody complaining. When you are as big as U2 are and have over 40 hits not everyone will be happy with the tracklisting. Shut up and support the band and buy it.

Big time crap!

They are so sure ATYCLB is the best album the've made!!!! What the hell is Elevation, Stuck in a moment and Walk on doing in there!!????????
No BOY song, what a shame..... I won't buy it for sure!

Can I say that I'm not pleased with this Best of or should I shut up? You say your opinion, I say mine. And you don't need to tell me that I'm not a U2 fan, thanks. I think that as a fan, I should be able to say if something bothers me about U2. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to "eat" everything they do, accept every points of view and buy another best of for the 3rd time! Maybe I'm still a bit objective about U2, even though a bad U2 fan like me flew down to Buenos Aires to see them in March..... anyway, buy the album twice if you think it is so great.

U218 singles (and Tracklisting)

I think U2 should've done a 2 CD set the first with the above tracklisting and the second with the songs that didn't make the cut like Discotheque, Stay, I Will Follow etc although it wouldn't be called 18 Singles then would it, just Singles or something like that. I would still buy it for Window In The Skies though.

I agree with most that 4 songs from ATYCLB is a bit weird and am disapointed in I will follow, Staring at the sun and Stay not being there!

I have everything from U2....I am not planning on buying the same songs again. I may buy the new songs from Itunes though.

As for the live cd/dvd, i have now 5 live dvds from them....and not so much time to listen to them, so a 6th dvd will not only need to fit in busy schedule but will by the same time decrease my chances of watching the other dvds....which I want to avoid doing! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom