(09-08-2005) Katrina Benefit Performances - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Katrina Benefit Performances

Ed. Note -- Oh well, the rumor wasn't true - but these are much better!

The band are set to take part in two televised benefit concerts this weekend, raising funds for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Thousands of people are displaced without food, shelter, or electricity - and untold numbers were killed as a result of the hurricane off the Gulf Coast. Of those who survived, many may not be able to return to their homes for weeks or months - and may not even have anything to return to at all.

Tomorrow, Friday, you can catch U2 taking part in 'Shelter from the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast'. More here

While on Saturday, you can catch them as they perform for 'ReAct Now', an MTV special raising funds for relief organizations. That concert airs 8-12 PM ET/PT. here

More news as we get it, and, just to add that contrary to reports the band won't be opening up rehearsals to fans over the weekend. Sorry!)

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1694

MrBrau1 said:
These aren't better. An open rehearsal would be miles ahead of 1 tune on NBC.

Why? 1 tune on NBC will reach more people, raise more money, and be accessable to anyone in the USA with a tv set.

An open rehearsal would only be able to be seen by a limited amount of people, raise far less money, and the rest of us would have to wait a few weeks, if we're lucky, to get a bootleg.

kellyahern said:

Why? 1 tune on NBC will reach more people, raise more money, and be accessable to anyone in the USA with a tv set.

An open rehearsal would only be able to be seen by a limited amount of people, raise far less money, and the rest of us would have to wait a few weeks, if we're lucky, to get a bootleg.

They'd raise the same $ w/o U2. The open rehearsal is so much more personal than a satellite link up.

I wonder if there will be a webcast of these somewhere? Anybody heard anything on that?

MrBrau1 said:

They'd raise the same $ w/o U2. The open rehearsal is so much more personal than a satellite link up.

But for whom should they do the open rehearsal? The people who are involved and affected by the hurricane have no time, no possibility and other concerns than to go to an open rehearsal.

So a fundraising concert is the best they can do right now.

Things like open rehearsals make more sence in a few weeks or months when the people got through the worst and need a change.

Like I said yesterday, I"m sure the guys are planning SOME way to perform in a place as close to the disaster area as possible. The tour schedule is too crowded to get another show in at this point but like I said, the park option or "outdoor stunt" could be very well on the cards. And as for performances dedicated to the victims..like I said yesterday... the tour was a reversion to U2's "politcal" side in a big way BEFORE. Now, I think we're all going to have our patience tested. In the spring, we saw the collage of African flags. I'm personally dying to see how Bono manages to be emphathetic to the victims and slide in a commentary on the "God Part 2" issues I alluded to yesterday. I don't think he's going to quiet about it, and I'd be disappointe dif he didn't. The trick is, to do this in a way that does not offend people, to do it with his customary politeness, dignity and grace..while amanging to be angrty at the same time. This is U2w, guys. As much as you would hate it, I think we can all expect the show to change a little....and we'll just have to live with it.

PS. If the song they don't perform over the weekend is "One" I'll eat my own shorts. They may have been interested in promiting HTDAAB before but if ever there was a time when ALL the lyrics fit, (even more than 9/11), it is now.

I was doing something yesterday I hadn't done in a LONG time: listening to JT full though. I thought that the album's brilliance was its ability to capture ALL of America, the good and the bad, and compassionately mingle both. That album was visionary before. Now, it is eerily prophetic, and growsever greater with the passing of the years. I wonder if they would be able to see us with such clear and open-eyed brilliance today, when they have aged and matured in all ways? I am convinced that at times, (perhaps b/c they are looking us from the outside, something an American could never do) they at times understand us better than we do ourselves. No American (not even Springsteen) could come up with a gem like "In God's Country" that so effectively captures the hope and heartbreak at the same time. (And I'm a longtime Bruce fan too:). I think another listen to JT is merited for all.

On that topic....call me crazy, but I believe in "signs and wonders." I'm a born-again but I believe in this stuff too. In the late 90's, a white buffalo calf was born in Nebraska and the Native American tribes freaked, since they were EXTREMELY rare even in the early 19th century, when there were millions of them; (so rare they were worshipped as demi-goddesses of sorts--White Buffalo Woman etc); but since the entire buffalo population dwindled briefly to about 200 animals 100 yrs ago--I kid you not, I've done the research, talk about almost going extinct!) , the genetic chance that a white buffalo could be born was next to impossible. I think the figure given was something like 1 in 150 million chance. They found out about it on the Internet, I think the Pine Ridge Reservation website. Huge groups of people turned up at the farmer's house who owned the herd and and asked if they could pray to it. He said yes but was mystified. He and his wife learned aobut the legends attached to the buffalo and wwre deeply affected. Esp b/c legend said that the next one would be born to a white family and it would be a great sign for the white man. I noted that at the time. And I also haven't forgotten that the actual Joshua Tree fell over just 5 weeks before 9/11. I can't help thinking that this disater was in so,e way "prophesided" for those who had their eyes and ears open, and it would be a test of us all.

Last edited:
Just an update for anyone who doesn't have TV, like me...

Shelter From the Storm will be webcast on various internet sites. I know that www.CBSNews.com is one.

If they are schedualed to perform- than why does either link to both concerts say anything or mention anything about U2?

MrBrau1 said:
These aren't better. An open rehearsal would be miles ahead of 1 tune on NBC.

yeah, but their presence on the show Fri [if you go to the link] will be broadcast on many, many stations- the "big three' {i think- read it very fast}, public ch 13, a whole bunch of cable channels.....etc...

Rachel D. said:
You know what this reminds me of? September 11, 2001. :| It's kinda scary how familiar all this is.

Remember...are we just starting again?

Sometimes I wonder about the world. 9/11, the tsunami, the bombing in London, Katrina...I dunno, I guess the world has always been violent and there's always a war going on somewhere and natural disasters and stuff. But still, it makes me wonder...

Good for U2 :up: doesn't surprise me at all that they're doing this, but I'm proud of the boys of course. now all the people that were going "OMG Y HAZNT U2 SAD N E TING!!?!?!?!?!?1/1/1/1/1/111111ONEONEONE" can shut up :wink:

biff said:
It does indeed, but how on earth will the 14 (by my count) performances, plus all the "appearances" possibly fit into one hour of air time? Can that possibly be right?!?!

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I guess we'll see tonight.

Cool! Honestly they didn't have to do this to convince me they care. Unfortunately there seems to be people out there who needed them to make thier feeling public. U2 are in a position now where they are THE band when it comes to these things. If they don't perform they're criticized. Everyone always says Bono can't save the world yet they expect U2 to save it when tragedy hits. Double standards. Anyways I'm glad they're playing. What do you guys think they'll play? SYCMIOYO seems very appropriate. The lyrics take on a whole new meaning now.

Last edited:
biff said:

It does indeed, but how on earth will the 14 (by my count) performances, plus all the "appearances" possibly fit into one hour of air time? Can that possibly be right?!?!

How generous to offer an entire hour "commercial free". Gosh, don't go overboard there.

You'll get an MTV style event where each artist gets a verse/chorus, not a full song

For people living in UK & Ireland tonight's benefit show will be broadcast at 1.00am 10th Sept on Sky 1 ( Satellite channe 106)
& on E! - Sky channel 193
The show will also be repeated later in the morning at 8.00am on E! & at 10.00am on Sky 1

Get your video tapes ready!:wave:

They did ONE!!

From U2.com

One Mary J Blige

U2 have filmed a Live version of “One” with Mary J Blige. The performance will air tonight during the Hurricane Relief Benefit: Shelter From The Storm”.

The Queen of Hip Hop Soul, Mary J flew into Toronto from New York especially to perform the song with U2.

The atmosphere was quite remarkable with a spine tingling performance from one of America’s finest vocalists, Mary J Blige. The band themselves seemed stunned by the power of her performance.

The benefit will be played across all major networks in America and throughout Canada. Shelter from the Storm is being produced by Joel Gallen, who also produced the post-9/11 telethon "America: A Tribute to Heroes.

All proceeds from the Telethon will go to The American Red Cross and The Salvation Army. Other artists appearing include Sheryl Crow, Ellen Degeneres, Chris Rock, Rod Stewart, Cameron Diaz, Alicia Keys, Randy Newman and Neil Young, and many many more

What a great version of the song. Mary J Blige was fantastic.:drool:

Yes, the arena was empty. That was a little eerie.

Bono sounded like he was trying not to cry at the "Have you come to raise the dead?" part.

Back
Top Bottom