(08-23-2005) On the Road: The Guitar Man -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
On the Road: The Guitar Man

The latest addition to U2.com's "On the Road" profile series of Vertigo crew members is guitar tech Dallas Schoo. The complete profile is available to U2.com members here with snippets below:

Working with U2 compared to other touring bands
A hundred-fold more intense, so much more responsibility, so many guitars and total flattery. Edge’s trust in me and his relationship with me, it’s so much more called upon than any other band I have ever worked with. With anyone else I care for the guitars, tune the guitars, take them up on stage and leave them to the musician but with Edge it is all that and also about creating sounds with him and my documenting all of his creativity..and quickly. It is about knowing, from the vast U2 library of U2 songs, what guitar Edge needs for which songs, what sounds he needs to create at what point in the show – what guitar to give to Edge when he looks at me from the stage.

This band can play songs in 3 different pitches and one has to know - and quickly - what song U2 plays in which pitch and have that pitch-dedicated guitar ready.

And in the studio on the latest record that was the greatest thing I had ever done – Bono or sometimes Edge or the producer would say,..‘Have you got any ideas for guitar sounds that would reflect the spirit of this track ?’ That was flattering you know! Sometimes it would be shite what I did, but sometimes it would work!

I wouldn’t miss any opportunity to work with Edge for the world. He is a class guy.

Highlight of the Show
For me it’s at the end when Edge hands me the last guitar and gives me a wink or a nod that means he and I have had a good two and a half hours with all our guitar exchanges and guitar sounds being successful. The other thing is trying to meet some fans throughout the day, to talk with them, because they want to talk about Edge or guitars or systems. I really enjoy that. Not a lot of time on this tour though with so many guitars and all.

Back
Top Bottom