(08-22-2005) Noel Gallagher on U2 - Billboard*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Noel Gallagher on U2

Ed. Note -- The following is an excerpt from an interview with Gallagher conducted by Billboard Magazine.

Q: Now that you have become a long-serving band, does that help you to understand better the motivation behind groups like U2, R.E.M. and even the Rolling Stones?

A: I'm a massive fan of the Stones, and I don't think anybody should deny them the right to carry on making music. I just wish they wouldn't wear leggings.

In the case of R.E.M., I don't own any of their records, but we kind of meet them on the road every now and again. Peter Buck and the bass player are great. But it's the big blue stripe (makeup that frontman Michael Stipe sometimes wears) -- there's no need for that.

U2, I love, I grew up listening to them, and I own all their albums. I remember going to see them on the Zoo TV tour and Bono in his alter ego as the Fly was ridiculing the guy with the mullet and the campaigning rock star. It's funny how it's now come full circle, and he's back.

The longer you go on, it magnifies more of what you are. The longer we do it, the more we look like where we come from.

In the case of me and Liam, who've been there the longest, we look like a couple of guys from a council estate in Burnage and always will be. We never went to college, we were kicked out of school and went straight onto building sites. There was no time for pretension.

Q: Your trials and tribulations with band in-fighting and canceled tours soured your reputation, especially in America. Do you feel more well-disposed toward the American market now?

A: I've never had a blatant disregard for it in the first place. It's just that America is a really delicate flower that needs a lot of attention, and we're not those kind of people.

The reason U2 and R.E.M. and Coldplay are the biggest white rock bands in America is because of their frontmen. Not being negative toward Liam, he's just not Chris Martin, he's not Bono, he's not Michael Stipe. He's Liam. For all intents and purposes, Americans don't get Liams. I think we're musically as strong as those three bands put together, but as characters we're different.

To read the entire piece, go here.

Thanks Robert!

I really don't mind Noel, he's a pretty sound guy, I don't agree that Oasis are musically as strong as u2, REM and Coldplay (though they are the weak link in that chain) together, that's way above their station in the music world.

One of the Gallagher brothers is speaking positively about other musicians, and even about Coldplay? I'm surprised.

They have a hand-full of good songs, but as good as U2, R.E.M. oder Coldplay? Together? I wouldn't say so.

As characters theyre different, very true. Liams just an arrogant asshole. Doesnt really impress me.

Vincent Vega said:
One of the Gallagher brothers is speaking positively about other musicians, and even about Coldplay? I'm surprised.

Noel has always been positive about U2. In the early days of Oasis I read an interview where he said U2 probably were the best band in the world.

I didn't know that Noel is such different.
I don't read music news so regularly so I heard only how the were speaking negatively about other musicians.

I've just been offered a free ticket to go see them in the box at their upcoming LA show at the Hollywood Bowl next month.

I've never been a huge fan, ( I think "Champagne Supernova" is one of the stupidest songs of all time) but I have to admit, I'm curious to see and hear them.

:|

I like the "Campagne Supernova" :eyebrow: It is also good to hear Oasis saying positive things for a change.

It is weird to not hear Oasis trash talk. Makes you wonder if his zoloft is finally kicking in.

This is Noel talking though not Liam....Liam would have nothing but bad things to say about U2.

Back
Top Bottom