(05-05-2006) Bono preaches, pleads for aid to Africa - Grand Rapids Press*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono preaches, pleads for aid to Africa

By Chris Knape
The Grand Rapids Press

"My name is Bono, and I'm in fightin' form."

With that, Bono, lead singer of the rock band U2, had the attention of tuxedo-and-cocktail-gown crowd of more than 2,000 who packed the Economic Club of Grand Rapids' annual dinner at DeVos Place.

As he took the podium, Bono referred to his only previous appearance in Grand Rapids, a U2 concert at Fountain Street Church in 1981. He joked he was hurt that only 100 people showed up (there really were about 1,100), so he hadn't come back until Thursday.

"I do remember telling the assembled young people in a disused church that I would not be preaching at them," Bono said, wearing a jacket, black shirt and amber sunglasses. "Ladies and gentlemen, I offer you no such assurances."

Preach he did.

In an hourlong speech peppered with pleas, preaching and occasional self deprecation, Bono implored the crowd to awaken to the AIDS and poverty crisis in Africa, which he likened to a preventable modern-day Holocaust.

"We are watching people being loaded onto the trains, and we know where they are going," said Bono, who turns 46 next week. "But the end of the story need not be the same. The people of Africa need not be condemned. We, you, I will not be complicit. ... We will not turn away as the trains roll past. We will go down to the tracks, and we will lie across them."

Bono's pleas were part of his quest to gain widespread public and government support for spending an additional 1 percent of the federal budget on foreign aid.

So far, the One Campaign, launched by an organization Bono helped co-found, has signed up 2 million Americans committed to the additional aid.

He expects to have 5 million campaign supporters by 2008, which he noted will make the organization bigger than the National Rifle Association.

To read the entire article, please go here.

capt.c7afa33951024304b72c3c50dbdaf759.bono_economic_club_wxs306.jpg

Image from the Associated Press

U2.com has a 10-minute clip from the speech that can be accessed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would LOVE to hear Bono speak. Does anyone know how i can find out when and where he is speaking again???
THANKS
Kelly

kellystefanie said:
I would LOVE to hear Bono speak. Does anyone know how i can find out when and where he is speaking again???
THANKS
Kelly

He's going to be in Dallas tonight. Interference.com, U2.com and DATA.org have information on Bono's appearances.

Really? then i'm missing the 'calander'---i've been on all those websites and i don't see any future dates, just news reports on where Bono has already spoke. (help!)
thanks

kellystefanie said:
Really? then i'm missing the 'calander'---i've been on all those websites and i don't see any future dates, just news reports on where Bono has already spoke. (help!)
thanks

Usually they'll post news items about these kinds of things. We have information on all of Bono's speeches as soon as they're announced so you can keep checking here.

Even though I love him dearly, and one day I would love to hear and see him speak, I think I can recite his speeches....but I guess thats the way he will reach everyone.:eyebrow:

I know he has problems with his eyes, but were they swollen a little?

JCOSTER said:

I know he has problems with his eyes, but were they swollen a little?

Nope for the gazzillionth time, his eyes were fine (in GR at least).

Also, the title of this article is a misnomer (GR Press, BIG surprise there :rolleyes: ). Bono's not pleading for aid, in fact, he said "this is not about charity, this is about justice". The POINT of his speech was that Africa does not need more aid/charity, it needs economic investment and relief from old debts. But yeah, that Chris Knape journalist guy, he was wierd and needs to get a clue.

Back
Top Bottom