(03-24-2003) Chasing Bono: One Fan's Near Misses - The Washington Post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.washingtonpost.com/

Chasing Bono: One Fan's Near Misses
By Jen Chaney
Special to The Washington Post
Monday, March 24, 2003; Page C10

He stands 50 feet from me behind a crystal-clear lectern, wearing a pinstriped suit and a pair of tinted glasses. I could walk up a set of stairs onto the stage and be beside him, basking in his rock star presence.

But because he's speaking at a gala in front of hundreds of people, I decide to wait. There is a possibility -- a slim one, but a possibility nonetheless -- that on this night, after his speech ends, I will meet my hero. There is a chance that I will finally come face-to-face with Bono.

Each one of us has an idol, someone whose image has inspired our spirits since childhood. For some, that person is a gifted athlete like Michael Jordan, or a fearless poet like Maya Angelou. For me, that person is Bono, the larger-than-life frontman for the rock band U2.

I first fell in love with Bono and U2 -- who performed at last night's Academy Awards ceremony -- in high school, when "The Joshua Tree" became every teenager's favorite album. But my obsession really blossomed in college. U2's "Achtung Baby" CD was the soundtrack to my university years, the background music for all-night studying sessions and the sonic solvent I poured upon the wounds of my first major breakup. A huge black-and-white poster of Bono, which I hung in every one of my dorm rooms, accompanied me on my scholarly journey, a graven image of my messiah stuck to cinder block walls.

As the years passed, my obsession with Bono would become a tragic tale of near misses.

In 1992, my college boyfriend promised that a friend with connections could hook us up with prime seats and backstage access for U2's "Zoo TV" tour. I instantly put all of the band's singles into heavy rotation on my car stereo and counted the seconds until I'd meet Bono. The morning of the concert, my boyfriend called with some news -- not only would I not meet U2, but I might want to visit a Ticketmaster outlet. The so-called connected friend had no backstage passes and no tickets.

I cried hysterically into the phone receiver -- "What do you mean we have no tickets?!" -- and eventually spent too much cash on a pair of last-minute seats. But it was worth it. During the song "Bad," Edge's soaring guitar and Bono's impassioned vocals -- combined with the sting from a day-long fight with my soon-to-be ex-boyfriend -- made me weep. Since then, I have never seen U2 in concert without shedding a tear. The only thing that could inspire me more would be meeting the band, and Bono, in person.

As a journalist, I nearly had my chance. Last year, I contributed to a profile of Bono for People magazine and interviewed numerous Washington politicians who know the singer because of his work on AIDS and debt relief in Africa. The genuine admiration for Bono expressed by people like then-Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) made me respect him all the more. As a result of that story, I was invited by members of O'Neill's staff to join the secretary and Bono on their now-famous trip to Africa. I was thrilled. A visit to this beautiful, besieged continent would be an unforgettable and life-altering experience. Plus, I'd get to meet Bono, the man whose voice had been my touchstone. But that was not meant to be either. The magazine did not send me.

Because I had come so close -- as a U2 song says, "Faraway, so close" -- I made "meeting Bono" the No. 1 item on my list of things to do before I die. And last week, when I attended the American Ireland Fund's Annual Gala, where its Humanitarian Award was presented to Bono, I seemed poised to check it off.

Early that evening, I spoke with a guy named Seth who works with DATA, Bono's "Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa" organization. In desperation, I explained my situation.

"All I want to do is shake his hand," I told Seth, painting my most pathetic and pleading expression across my face. "Do you think that's possible?"

"It might be," Seth said. "I'll see what I can do."

My heartbeat quickened. There was hope again, the kind I had experienced before the "Zoo TV" fiasco.

Bono later came to the lectern to speak. Fifty feet away, my eyes kept floating to the telescreen as he spoke. Even though he was right there, I resorted to old habits, staring at him through projected images.

After the program ended, Bono walked offstage on the side opposite from where I stood. Of course, I had no idea where Seth was; I figured he had probably left for the evening or, at the very least, forgotten our previous conversation.

Then I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Jen, come on." It was Seth, and he was beckoning me to come with him. Dear God, it was happening. And I had no idea what to say.

"Hi, Bono. I, um, think you're, like, really cool and stuff."

"You already have a wife, and I already have a husband, but will you marry me?"

"It's such an honor to meet you. Your music and passion for human rights have touched my life deeply."

Option 3 was corny, but it was all I had at that moment. We dashed to the other side of the stage, and suddenly there I was, caught in a swarm of people mobbing Bono, all probably trying to cross this moment off their own "Things to Do Before I Die" lists.

"You'll have to force your way in," Seth warned, and I tried. But security guards surrounded Bono, sticking their arms out like elementary school safety patrols striving for gold badges.

I headed toward an open space in Bono's path, thinking I could greet him as if he were a bridegroom heading down a receiving line. Within seconds he was right next to me, a foot away, but there was too much noise to make myself heard. So I moved by instinct: I reached out my hand, and touched his forearm. For a second, I felt the rich texture of his blazer. Then he walked away, and I tried to follow. But he was gone.

I had blown it. Another near -- nearer than ever before -- miss.

I revisited that moment repeatedly for the next 24 hours, and ultimately concluded that I hadn't been more aggressive because I didn't want to meet him under those circumstances. I didn't want to be some random fan forcing my way into his face while he was trying to exit a room. Of course, that might mean I'll never have a conversation with him. But perhaps that's what happens with our heroes. Maybe we're always destined to keep them at arm's length.

Faraway, so close.

? 2003 The Washington Post Company

aww that is so sweet!! that sounds exactly like me!! at Data I kind of met him too..she sounds exactly like me making meeting him a #1 priority!! i think she is my evil twin..or maybe my good one..lol but i graced his hand and he said "what did you think?" to me and a group of people. and i took some pics of him and they got RUINED! by the skank at krogers. ugh

This Essay Is So True!

I know so well how this writer feels! When I was at the Times Talk, I wanted so much just to make eye contact with Bono, but it was not to be.
And I also dream that when I do meet him and/or Edge, Larry and especially Adam, that it'll be because of something great that I've done.
I know, I know...dream on!

I know how this woman feels. "Meeting Bono" has been on my "List of Things To Do Before I Die" for the past 16 years! I haven't had the close calls she has had though. That must be very frustrating! I hope we both get our wish someday.

wow! I haven't even had close calls to meet him! She put it in such perfect words how we as fans feel about Bono! I'll keep the "list' out while dreaming for my day! I hope gets her day soon!

I did meet him! When I told my husband that I had purchased tickets for the Elevation show, he replied, "We're staying at the Ritz. I don't want to deal with traffic." Twist my arm. So, we're on the way to the gig, and it occurs to me for the first time. "What do you think the chances are that the band's staying at the Ritz?" My husband says no. They get on their plane and leave. I tell him no. I know the band stays at the hotel (from the Flanagan book).
We check in at the front desk, and my husband comes to me and says that I may be right. He points and there is one of those packing cases that you always see rock bands use on the road. We get in the elevator to go up to our room. A bellhop follows us in with this packing case. Sure enough, there it is on the side, "U2 Principal Management Dublin." Of course, we check to see what floor it is going to (8). We consider following the case to the room, but decide that would be tacky.
Before the gig, we go to the private lounge available to hotel guests. It is clear everyone in the lounge is associated with the band. We enjoy the mood of the room. My husband enjoys it as someone who could have had a career as a soundman. I enjoy it as a fan of the band. I spied someone in the corner of the room. I thought it was Adam Clayton's brother. I discovered when I got the Elevation DVD at Christmas that it was Hamish Hamilton, the director of the DVD. We hung around for a bit hoping to see a band member, but no such luck.
We went to the gig and loved it! It was an incredible show. I had attended Zoo TV during college. I loved and was impressed that this band could put on two shows with such different personalities, but sung with the same heart.
After the gig, we were hungry and looking for something to eat. We saw some of the people that we had seen in the lounge before talking about some gathering. We figured that the band was having a private gathering, possibly in the lounge. We didn't want to be party crashers. We went upstairs, ordered room service, and discussed what an incredible show we had seen. We spoke of how cool it was to be in such close proximity to the band.
The next morning, we decide to hit the lounge for some breakfast. Just in case, I stick my ticket in my pocket as I'm dressing. We have some coffee and danish while we discuss what we're going to do with our day. It is once again clear that everyone in the room is connected with the band. I can hear that they are talking about the next gig which is in Kentucky. (We went to the gig in Cleveland, Ohio.)
I'm leaning forward while my husband rubs my neck because I have a headache. I hear him say, "There's Bono!" I look up, and there he is right in front of me. I compliment him on the show, telling him how incredible it had been. He thanks me and goes around to ask one of the attendants in the room for an English muffin (I figured you'd want to know). He goes to the back corner of the room where he sat, ate, and talked with Hamish Hamilton (who I thought was Adam Clayton's brother) and Ned O' Hanlon. I'm pretty excited. I have just spoken with the man whose band's music has touched and spoken to me deeply for almost 15 years! I want to ask for an autograph, but I don't want to disturb the man while he eats breakfast.
I discuss what to do with my husband. We agree that I shouldn't be a bother. I decide to wait until he exits the room and then ask for an autograph. We sit and make small talk for 10 minutes or so. It is very clear that we are waiting and he's not leaving. Finally, my wonderful husband tells me that he would hate to see me miss my chance to meet this man that I very much admire.
My husband gives me a pen and I walk over to wear Bono is sitting with the other gentlemen. I asked him, "Can I trouble you, sir, for an autograph, please?" His replies, "I don't see why not." I hand him my ticket to sign. He takes it and inspects it. He looks at me with a questioning gaze. He didn't understand why I still had the entire ticket. He may have said as much, I don't remember. I had to explain to him that they scan the ticket now. Mr. O' Hanlon backs me up and explains the process to the rock star who probably hasn't used a ticket in years. Bono's reply is, "Well, I remember when they used to rip them in half!"
He took the ticket and asked my name. I told him and he put my name, a heart, and the year (2001) before signing his name. In the mean time, I spoke in a less-than-eloquent fashion about my fear that they weren't going to play "One" the night before. (They played so many of my favorites during the first encore that I was unsure that they would do a second.) When he finished, he handed me my ticket and made a point to stand and shake my hand. I could not get over how kind and gracious he was. I thanked him and left him to go back to his discussion.
The thing that sticks the most in my mind from this encounter was that he was aware of how much this moment meant to me. He made sure to take a moment from his busy day to really give me a moment that I would really remember. It was clear that he understood that I was a fan and that the fans of the band and their music have given them an incredible life. He wanted to be kind to a fan of his band and their music. It was a special moment I won't forget. For those of you who would like to meet him, I wish you the best.
Mrs. Blue

What a great story!!! When I read your story I was going to write you and tell you that your time would come! I was fortunate enough to meet Bono before the Oscars on Sunday in LA, and the one most important and incredible memory of it, that I was just telling a friend today, was how Bono KNEW how important and meaningful it was to me. You could see it in his eyes. I could hardly speak the entire time, but he kept talking and he kept loiking at me in the eyes, and I know he knew how freaking happy I was! EVERY fan he has a moment with, he makes it a special and an incredible moment.
I am so happy you were able to meet him!!!
:dance:

Sorry, I can't help but draw parallels with Jesus (even though Bono is more of a John the Baptist, if you know what I mean). If people want to meet Bono so badly, imagine how much people would've gone through just to touch Jesus' cloak. Eh that's all.

foray

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom