(03-10-2005) Every U2 CD Rated in Blender - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Every U2 CD Rated in Blender

Ed. Note-- We're now hearing it might be the April issue, so make sure to look for the article in the magazine before buying.] In the March 2005 issue of Blender, each U2 CD is rated. The results are not too surprising, but fans will surely enjoy arguing over this one for days.

Essential:
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
All That You Can't Leave Behind

Great:
War
Best Of 1980-1990
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Good:
Boy
The Unforgettable Fire
Rattle And Hum
Best Of 1990-2000

Be Careful:
October
Under A Blood Red Sky
Zooropa
Pop

For Fans Only:
Wide Awake In America
Melon:Remixes For Propaganda
Passengers:Original Soundtracks I
Hasta La Vista:Live From Mexico City

Many thanks to Nate Dogg!

Last edited:
I think they got this one more or less absolutely correct. The only change I might make would be to bump up Pop into "Good". :up:

DaveC said:
The only change I might make would be to bump up Pop into "Good". :up:

Totally Agree with you... about Pop!!

Although, I would change "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb"...
How can they put that one in the GREAT category?? It should've
been in the GOOD category!!!
I also believe they should have a CLASSIC category......
as that is where War belongs. War is GREAT!!!
But more so..... War is "CLASSIC" U2 !!!! :yes: :applaud:

Best Of cds are "great" and "good?"

They're greatest hits packages. They're Essential! If they were actual albums, they would of been rated off the chart beyond essential!

And I'm glad to see ATYCLB listed as essential...that oughta give you ATYCLB-haters a little perspective of how widely loved that album truly was.

The editors there must have feces for brains to say "Be Careful" with "Zooropa" We all know "Pop" is underrated too. Blender now falls in my "Be Careful" category of magazines. "Relevant" of course, is in the "Essential" category. :wink:

Last edited:
Rattle & hum is great, Under blood red sky is great, pop is good, October is good. Bomb is not great its good, leave behind is good. Wide awake is great imo, The songs on there are great. Rattle & hum is very underrated, the band were on fire at this point

Mac Phisto said:
And I'm glad to see ATYCLB listed as essential...that oughta give you ATYCLB-haters a little perspective of how widely loved that album truly was.

oh yeah, that REALLY showed me.

suddenly, elevation, walk on and grace no longer have horrible lyrics, and the overall sound's amazing!

I pretty much agree with the list. I recently bough Pop (almost spelled it poop) in the used CD bin, and must say that it is a very good album. Really like pop, and would probably change it to "good" category.

I think Atomic Bomb is in the right category; I think it's a great album and can't understand why some people slag it off. It's WAY more consistent than ATYCLB. ATYCLB is essential however only for its singles (which are classics).

Right on with AB and JT though.

October is definately a "be careful" but I don't think so with Zooropa and Pop. Those albums, as good as they are, will forever be stigmatized for being too "un-U2". Oh well.

Zoomerang96 said:

oh yeah, that REALLY showed me.

suddenly, elevation, walk on and grace no longer have horrible lyrics, and the overall sound's amazing!

You forgot Peace on Earth. That has the worst lyrics on the album. Absolutely cringeworthy IMHO.

True, Peace On Earth was not the best song on that album, but after 9/11 it really resonated with a lot of Americans. (the reading the names on the radio). At least, it did for me.

Slamming J said:
Pop? "Be Careful"? They're crazy!

No kidding. I still don't understand why people are teeing off on Pop after eight years. So it wasn't OK Computer. I think we can all agree about that. But it was still a great album. Some of the mixing was overdone (I am looking your way "Do You Feel Loved"), and some of the songs had no place on a U2 lp ("Miami" anyone?), but I don't understand how a reviewer can with a straight face heap praise on AB, and then call Pop crap. Sure Pop was U2 at its most ironically indulgent, but the songs were great. "If God Will Send His Angels" through "Gone" is as good a four song stretch as any in the catolgue, and the final two songs on the album are devestating lyrically (just like AB). Pop rocks!

Oh and so does Zooropa.

I agree that Bomb is in a good place. It's exactly what this says- a great album.

ihavefollowed said:

some of the songs had no place on a U2 lp ("Miami" anyone?), but I don't understand how a reviewer can with a straight face heap praise on AB, and then call Pop crap. Sure Pop was U2 at its most ironically indulgent, but the songs were great. "If God Will Send His Angels" through "Gone" is as good a four song stretch as any in the catolgue, and the final two songs on the album are devestating lyrically (just like AB). Pop rocks!

I agree. If God Will Send His Angels is one of their best 90s songs period.

Look, this is the way the general public would receive these albums (and did receive them when released, etc.) This rating scale makes perfect sense. You don't have to agree with it personally, but it makes sense.

No one in this forum can objectively rate U2.

Pop, Zooropa, etc. were mediocre albums in the minds of most. Just because some die hard fans love them doesn't mean squat. (And don't get me wrong: Zooropa is my #2 U2 album of all time.)

Back
Top Bottom