(03-03-2005) U2 and Madonna Essential Acts -- Madonna.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 and Madonna Essential Acts

Editor's Note: This story came from Madonna.com so focuses on Madonna's coverage in Q. We assume that U2 will get a similar write up in the magazine.

The April issue of UK music magazine Q features Madonna as one of the Five Essential Acts in music. Madonna is joined in this list by The Beatles, Bob Dylan, U2 and The Velvet Underground.
The magazine lists Like A Prayer as her definitive album saying:
And if you only buy one album....Like A Prayer. Always more interesting when not seeking novelty, Madonna hit artistic and commercial gold with Like A Prayer, her best and least contrived album. The title track, all swirling choruses and kitchen-sink production, remains her major statement, but Express Yourself was ferocious dance, while on the rarely lauded Dear Jessie she had never sounded so human.

The magazine also lists what they consider to be Madonna's essential singles:

Holiday, Borderline, Material Girl, Like A Virgin, Crazy For You, Into The Groove, Papa Don't Preach, La Isla Bonita, Open Your Heart, Live To Tell, Who's That Girl, Causing A Commotion, Vogue, Justify My Love, Ray Of Light, Frozen, Drowned World/Substitute For Love, Beautiful Stranger, Music, Hollywood.

--Madonna.com

Madonna is joined in this list by The Beatles, Bob Dylan, U2 and The Velvet Underground.

It's so odd to see her name among the others... but I can understand why. She dared and she got it.
(And there are lots of people paying huge amounts of money to see her shows…:confused: )

I flicked through Q magazine yesterday at WH Smith (exciting lunch break) and the section on U2 listed 'Acthung Baby' as their essential album, and the essential 20 tracks featured no A. Baby tracks (I guess 'cos they feature on the essential album - much like they didn't list Like A Prayer on Madonnas list).

It also featured Brandon Flower's favourite twenty tracks, which included U2's 'In A Little While' which he said was U2's masterpiece.

Daveone said:
It also featured Brandon Flower's favourite twenty tracks, which included U2's 'In A Little While' which he said was U2's masterpiece.

My favorite thing about U2 is how many different songs are considered their 'masterpiece' between listeners (One; MW; WOWY; WTSHNN; Pride; Bad; NYD; Gloria; SYCMIOYO; and my personal favorites - Please, Stay, The First Time, BTBS and UTEOTW... :) )

Daveone said:

I absolutely adore that song. It's on my top 10 favorite u2 songs to listen to, but it would not be on my top 10 masterpiece list of u2 songs. If that makes sense........

I am completely dismayed, disgusted and disheveled that anyone thinks Madonna is one of the 5 "essential" acts in music. This is beyond ridiculous - it is simply WRONG!!! There are hundreds of "acts" that deserve billing above this overated unsexy mediocre media monster. God, what's become of the world when Madonna is on a list with real "acts".

Back
Top Bottom